Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • What's gonna make your riding better this year?
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

and going back to a hardtail

I've been finding just the opposite since building up my Enduro. What tends to happen is that I'll approach a section I won't really try on a hardtail but, given all the Enduro's advantages, manage to ride it on the full-suss. Next time I'm on the hardtail I'll then give the section a go and, usually, be able to ride it then also.

Joolz
    Free Member

I'm hoping to do a skills course this spring; building confidence and generally understanding the basics of tech stuff. Also working on body toning and strength.

Exploring is key, I want to try out new trails.

And fun, the intention is to have lots and lots of fun 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

I gotta stop pulling on the bars when jumping or doing drops too

Hehe 😉

So generally increasing the quantity of riding then for most people.

As was confirmed to me yesterday, this is not necessarily the right answer to improving the quality of your riding. Without the right skillset in the first place, all that riding more does is make your bad habits worse as I learnt!

After yesterday though, a few hours re-learning how to actually ride a bike, then riding more (whilst making sure I implement my new skills) will actually be quite beneficial… I hope!

chakaping
    Free Member

Riding more and riding faster with less comfort braking.

Changed my diet a bit and already lost a couple of pounds, hope this will be noticeable when riding. Too early to tell so far.

Hope I stop keep getting ill soon as well, that would improve my riding the most!

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

nothing. the thing that holds me back the most is my lack of confidence. some sort of course where they teach you how to let go of the fear of crashing would be most beneficial..

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I've just been on one of those 🙂

singlecrack
    Free Member

What's gonna make your riding better this year?
    .CAKE 😀

M6TTF
    Free Member

Getting more rides in and a new set of wheels!

jedi

maverickboy, your cornering was awesome yesterday as was your linking sections together. drop technique was spot on physically, you just need time to believe it mentally 🙂

br
    Free Member

What is all this rubbish, the answer is as always new bits for my bike!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

more totty please 🙂

akira

Want to remember how to hop, used to be able to do it but lost my mojo.
    Hoping first uplift and firsdt trip to the Alps will combine to make me a demon on wheels, or just a bit faster.

jedi

how to hop? you mean unweight the front then back?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Silver/grey bikes. Just noticed my 2 new bikes are a similar colour. Unfortunately they'll still be piloted by an overweight numpty, so they won't be any quicker than the old ones.

akira

Jedi, well yes.
    Used to be able to hop over two 15% extra lager cans, now nowhere near that, partly because I've never really practised enough on full sus and partly because I seem to have physically forgotten how to do it. In my mind I still know exactly what to do but it never seems to translate onto the bike.

soobalias
    Free Member

either a tubeless wheelset, or a CK headset.

if i win the lottery, both.

westkipper
    Free Member

I suspect the only thing that'll make me a better rider is death! followed by reincarnartion!
    The first bit is easy enough, but the second…

jedi

soobalias, lol 🙂

Bigboned
    Free Member

loose 4 stone – thats it for 2010

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I am finding going to the gym regularly is really improving my riding. I weigh less and I have improved my core stability. Having dropped 6kg since last October in weight I can see the difference in my riding. Save your money on that 50gram light seat post or 200gram lighter wheels and invest in some fitness and save 6000grams of real weight off your bike!

Yours: The Gym Queen 🙂

lowey

Sunshine and mates.

yunki
    Free Member

Sunshine and mates.

+ 1

thepurist

A day I spent with that man Jedi will be the biggest single step forward in my riding this year. I'm riding more smoothly and confidently and no longer have a mortal fear of my wheels leaving the ground – in fact I'm growing to quite enjoy it… And of course +2 lowey

Bushwacked
    Free Member

+ 1 for a Jedi day

+ 3 for sunshine and mates (and some dry trails)

TheFlyingOx

Pawsy_Bear – Member

I am finding going to the gym regularly is really improving my riding. I weigh less and I have improved my core stability. Having dropped 6kg since last October in weight I can see the difference in my riding. Save your money on that 50gram light seat post or 200gram lighter wheels and invest in some fitness and save 6000grams of real weight off your bike!

Yours: The Gym Queen

Hey, a lighter bike still rides like a lighter bike!

Having said that, and also having just splashed out on a new carbon XC beast, I feel slightly embarassed at pottering around on it given my 14+ st. Hence my investment in this P90X fitness thing. I've been doing it a couple of weeks, have dropped about 7 pounds so far and I feel a million dollars. I think THAT is going to make my riding better this year. And the bike, obviously.

Baldysquirt

Riding off road at least 3 days a week.

A skills course in a couple of months.

Lots of nice dry weather!

juan
    Free Member

Well what is a better riding after all? Getting to the top of the road/fireroad faster?
    Or getting down the trail smoother/faster?

br
    Free Member

Having dropped 6kg since last October in weight I can see the difference in my riding

If I lost 6kg I'd be in hospital…

Save your money on that 50gram light seat post or 200gram lighter wheels

So lighter wheels for me!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Interesting reading these comments since I posted up. Seems everyone has different views on what is better – I was thinking more about how to improve my bike handling and confidence when I posted originally.

People seem to fall into a few categories in terms of what makes their riding better:

1. New bike bits
    2. Fitness
    3. Riding more
    4. Conditions (sunshine, mates, location)
    5. Skills

All totally right but for me focusing on the skills is the most important right now – once I have the physical and mental confidence the rest become so much more enjoyable. 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Just to add to that to…

Once you know what to correct and how to correct it, you just want to ride all the time 🙂

Now when I'm out all I'm thinking of is improving my riding, going faster and grinning harder 🙂 🙂

EuroClive
    Free Member

Best way to improve your riding is to seek professional assistance from a certified skills tutor and not top trust peoples comments on web forums, the note above about dropping the elbow to improve your turning ability could not be further from the mark, this is one large contributing factor to taking a face plant as it aids your front wheel tucking under. I have just been contracted to produce a book for the Bloomsbury group and it will be available next year, until then you can book a session with us and we will help you develop your core skill set, you must develop good technique and this is done through repetition. Look us up at http://www.mtbskills.eu for more information, all the best with your riding.
    Clive.

dasnut
    Free Member

living in geneva

Lifer
    Free Member

i) Commuting on rigid singlespeed (road and bridleway)
    ii) Entering a couple of races (OneFGear and Brighton Big Dog)
    iii) Getting myself fit for the races

Fitness is my main issue so the incentive of racing and daily commute will hopefully sort that out this year 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

losing a few kg. riding 100mi + a week for as long as poss.

Hohum
    Free Member

By staying off the cigarettes!

I am on day 21 of not smoking and I can feel the benefits already 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Ho hum – Nice one dude – keep at it. I smoked about 40 a day for about 10 years and don't miss the effects at all – but occasionally would love a fag until I try one and realise I hate it.

Hohum
    Free Member

Thank you Bushwacked!

I am over the worst of the cravings, but I still get them at times. When they do occur I just tell myself that they will pass and remind myself just how much I hate it!

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

Pushing my limits! :mrgreen:

marcus
    Free Member

Sounds like you are enjoying your biking at the moment Bushwaked !!

Hope you are going to pass on a few of your skills when we ride in the Brecons in May, so we can keep up.

lyons
    Free Member

Keep on getting better. My aim is to ride my bmx alot, as I am allready finding the skills cross over nicely.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘What's gonna make your riding better this year?’ is closed to new replies.