Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What's going on with my windscreen?
  • beefheart
    Free Member

Answer me this STW.
    I have a new Kia Cee’d, which is a great car, but every time it rains a circle of mist/condensation appears on the inside of the windscreen at eye level, in front of my face.
    It’s about the size of a £2 coin.
    It always appears in the same place, and is always the same size.
    I have cleaned the inside of the windscreen (yet it always reappears), there is no sign of a crack or chip, and I have tried every combination of blowers/air con etc.

jimdubleyou

Sounds like the windscreen has an air gap between the lamination layers, but I’ve not hear of that being a thing.

Take it back to dealer to fix?

councilof10
    Free Member

A cold spot like that is a sure fire sign of poltergeist activity. fact.

You have a haunted windscreen… A ‘windscream’.

Stevet1
    Free Member

a circle of mist/condensation appears on the inside of the windscreen at eye level, in front of my face.

Might be just water vapour from your breath condensing on the windscreen? Try not breathing and see if it still happens.

yetidave
    Free Member

clean the area better. Could just be that condensation is forming easier here than other areas due to surface irregularities?

DezB
    Free Member

Try not breathing and see if it still happens...
    or breathe through your nose and see if 2 appear…

maccyb
    Free Member

Sounds like the windscreen has an air gap between the lamination layers, but I’ve not hear of that being a thing.

I would have thought you would be able to see an air gap in the lamination in all conditions, and I wouldn’t have thought it would affect condensation on the surface (the condensation is appearing on the inner surface of the windscreen rather than actually inside the windscreen, right?)

I would hazard a guess that there’s some kind of anti-fog chemical coating applied during manufacture and they missed a spot… but that’s purely conjecture!

ThePinkster

Are there any aircon vents pointing to this bit of screen? I get a similar but much larger area on my screen, but nowhere near my line of sight thankfully, when it’s warm & moist outside.

footflaps

Not going to cause condensation.

I’d go for surface contaminant / roughness which just makes it easier for moisture to condense in that one spot, or some weird anomolous air flow issue…..

maccruiskeen

Is it a prescription windscreen? The blury bit might indicate its bifocal – it’ll come into focus when your tailgating someone.

Sit in the car and ask a friend to see if your head appears unusually large to oncoming traffic

nealglover
    Free Member

Classic STW. It’s a sticker.

(Or at least, where a sticker used to be)

benp1

You lost me after the first full sentence to be honest 😆

beefheart
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Lots to think about. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What's going on with my windscreen?’ is closed to new replies.