Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • What's going on with cup cakes these days?
  • tomd
    Free Member

^ Those kind of things

It was someone’s birthday at work and they kindly brought frosted cup cakes in. 48 of them for an office of 20. Only, the ratio of sugary-buttery frosting to cake is about 80:20. Most people had one, felt sick afterwards and half of the cakes are still sitting there. It’s getting a bit awkward now and the birthday girl is trying to foist more cakes on us.

These things cause a sugar induced coma, and apparently the folk that cycle should have two because “we’ll burn it off”. Laps of the Alpe d’Huez don’t feature on my route home.

Ah for the days when cakes had more cake than icing.

dknwhy

That’s the problem with girls you see. True birthday cake etiquette is pretending your birthday is the day when least people are in the office and buying a 99p bag of doughnuts.

sandwicheater

Do the right thing and eat five. It will make her feel good.

Oh hold on, is she pretty? Only eat five if she’s pretty.

Oh wait, is she single and pretty? Hmmm, best eat seven in that case.

I have no idea how cup cakes in my day were tiny. Struggle to finish the monstrosities I’m given some times.

stumpy01

Yep, horrible things. I had one a while back and felt queasy before getting halfway through the icing, let alone to the cake.
    Then when I battled on and actually got to the cake it was really dry, dense and horrible.
    Like most things these days – dubious style over substance.

I must be getting old.

john_drummer
    Free Member

i remember when the fanciest small cakes we had were “butterfly buns”. cup cakes, like muffins and black friday, seem to be an american import. Speaking of which, it’s a shame there’s no Thanksgiving to go with it, I could do with a day off.

Cougar

Brownies are where it’s at (as any Scout will tell you). Lass at work brought in home made brownies earlier this week, they were incredible. And short-lived.

yunki
    Free Member

My kids mum won the gold medal for her cupcakes at the Cake International show earlier in the year 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

We have a cup cake company come I to our office and set up a stand every now and then. When they came in at Easter they had a cupcake with a full size Cadbury cream egg inside, plus a couple of small ones stuck in the butter icing.

Yes that’s right a full size Cadbury cream egg within a small sponge cake.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I reckon the peak of the cupcake wave has been passed now, it seems that fancy brownies are the new thing.

tomd
    Free Member

It’s cake inflation gone mad! That creme egg things sounds a bit interesting though.

emsz
    Free Member

got to the cake it was really dry, dense and horrible.

gotta make them like that as well, as otherwise all the icing just falls into it.

3 is my limit.

binners

One of our customers brought us in a great big box labelled ‘Yorkshire Cupcakes’. I can’t stand cake of any description so was most unimpressed. Until I opened said box to reveal rows of little pork pies in little cake trays, from his local butcher. They were bloody gorgeous 😀

cheers_drive

Yep I don’t get it either. There is a stand selling them a Kings Cross underground and their something like £2.50 each.
    The macaroons craze is stupid, they are tiny, taste like cardboard and cost £1 each. I need about 10 to feel sated.
    What’s wrong with a bit of good old fashioned carrot cake?!

grievoustim
    Free Member

yeah they are grim – can’t stand any cakes with that much icing

as mentioned above it’s all about the brownies these days – had one last friday with that biscuit spread stuff in/ on it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That creme egg things sounds a bit interesting though.

It was quite a spectacle.

brakes
    Free Member

there’s bound to be some celebrity chef who jumped the shark on this.
    Ladies in the office seem to shriek over them because of their garish colours and associations with weddings.

zigzag69
    Free Member

A few of my wife’s:

Speaking from first-hand experience, they do not fall into the horrible buttery frosting category.

Also makes a mean batch of tablet too.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Do I spy bacon flavoured cup cakes up there^^ 😯

The macaroons craze is stupid, they are tiny, taste like cardboard and cost £1 each. I need about 10 to feel sated.

Good macaroons are amazing. The other half’s dad brought some back from Fauchon in Paris last time he was there. Truly incredible. Rather more than a £1 each though! Not something I’d ever consider buying myself, but glad to have tried them. All the other ones I’ve tried have been like eating polystyrene packaging.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

A girl at work made a load and brought ’em in for an event we had for the customers, they looked lovely. I obviously stole one and was caught jamming the whole thing into my mouth in a one’er, I was reprimanded but asked for my thoughts. Now, I didn’t know at the time that she’d made them so I told her the truth… “It was shit, wish I’d never bothered.” Ooops.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Do I spy bacon flavoured cup cakes up there^^

You do indeed. Not convinced myself, but apparently they went down quite well.

66deg
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

Brownies are where it’s at (as any Scout will tell you). Lass at work brought in home made brownies earlier this week, they were incredible. And short-lived.

OK i get the brownie thing , i recently had a brownie dessert in a local (french) restaurant, it blew me away if you ever head down this way i will take you there , i don’t give out invites regularly but you won’t regret it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

All front and nothing to back it up.
    Just sugar, food colouring, vegetable fat and white flour. I’m amazed whole shops are trading on this charade.
    I’m even more amazed people buy this shite.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

A good macaron is amazing.. I make them every weekend for wholesale and for weddings, people go crazy for them!
    Here are some I did for a wedding a few weeks back 3 flavours: passion fruit, raspberry and choc/orange. Agree with cupcake thing too much icing is bad!

66deg
    Free Member

From 3 mins in French cakes.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kLVV7e2FGpg[/video]

dirtyrider
    Free Member

It was someone’s birthday at work and they kindly brought frosted cup cakes in

they brought their own cakes? how odd

LadyGresley
    Free Member

…old fashioned carrot cake?!

Carrot cake is some new-fangled invention! Cake just shouldn’t contain vegetables!
    As for these modern day so-called cup cakes, they’re all about looks and taste crap.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Cup cakes are just wrong. Sweet, sickly and wrong.

ourmaninthenorth

As I only remarked earlier today (to a mail colleague), cup cakes really have jumped the shark.

ourmaninthenorth

And for double proof of how far over the great white they’ve jumped, Mrs North made a cupcake wedding cake for her friend 10 years ago.

M6TTF
    Free Member

As someone with a killer sweet tooth, there’s no such thing as too much icing 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

It’s all part of the Great British Bake Off ,ironic retro ,bunting ,knitting , Union Jack cushion cosyness methinks

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

*vintage

lemonysam
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, yeah! I love cake. Any cake. But those cup cakes are disgusting things. You mught as well eat a cardboard box filled with sugar. Actually you’d probably feel less sick afterwards.

scuttler

Cup cakes = buns for chavs.

chewkw
    Free Member

Are those colourful stuff really safe to consume?

If they have imported the colour ingredient from China then the chance of you having a slow death is very high … it could be chemical colour use for spraying on vehicles … 😯

choppersquad
    Free Member

How can a cake possibly have too much icing?
    Cup cakes are awesome but macaroons are even awesomer.
    Stop winging and get some butter cream down you.

andyl
    Free Member

You do realise you don’t have to eat all the icing don’t you? although the reality is that even if you scrap it off and eat the cake you will slowly but surely pick at the icing and then by the end feel sick.

tomd
    Free Member

How can a cake possibly have too much icing?

When the ratio of icing is so high it would be better to call it “icing” than a “cake”

You do realise you don’t have to eat all the icing don’t you?

This had occurred to us but the cake bit, such as it was, was dry and unappealing. Almost all the effort has gone into the icing. Someone else pointed out above that cake has to be made dry and tough to provide foundations for the icing mountain.

TedC

Cup cakes are not cakes, starts about 50s in.

Cup Cakes are not cakes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘What's going on with cup cakes these days?’ is closed to new replies.