Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What's gisburn/the moors like at the moment?
  • Conan257
    Free Member

Look for some Manchester based rides on Tuesday, not sure exactly where my mates place is but I think it’s north Manchester…

Anyone know what the conditions at Gisburn are at the moment? That’s probably a backup in case the moor’s are as frozen as expected…

traildog
    Free Member

Frozen moors are probably your better choice. I find Gisburn forest really freezes up and gets very slippy when the temp. drops. The moors are nearly always rideable in the cold (often more so when the mud freezes).

binners

We’re going out on the moors tonight, so I can report back on conditions. I’m hoping they’re going to be frozen, so more ridable than they’ve been all year (which isn’t saying much).

Conditions were great on Sundays Rivi ride though. Have you thought about doing Lee/Cragg Quarry? More fun than Gisburn

Conan257
    Free Member

We thought Lee/Cragg would be dangerous at the moment due to ice…

Looking forward to a report, more than happy to try out the frozen mud up there!

philfive
    Free Member

it was icey up on holcombe moor on saturday.

Simon

Rode Gisburn on Monday night, trails were frozen solid and grip was good.
    Temps set to rise tomorrow though.

globalti
    Free Member

The moor’s frozen what? Nadgers?

stumpyjon

Lee Quarry holds onto the ice for longer than Gisburn. Gisburn’s in pretty good shape as numerous repairs are underway on various sections. Ice was gone by Sunday apart from the fireroads, as pointed out above it’s supposed to warm up and rain, moors will be boggy, Gisburn will be less boggy albeit very wet.

binners

Conditions update: Everything was frozen solid last night. Good fun on the moors, which were firmer than they’ve been all year. Less so on the hardpack, where there was any standing water, which was just sheet ice. Eek!

Its 4 degrees this morning though. Positively tropical. You’ll be reet. Have fun! 😀

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Rivi on Wed night was in the best condition it’s been in months.
    Ironically, I think we did the San Marino faster in pitch dark/sheet ice/frozen mud, than I’ve done it all Summer! Loved it 😀

These really cold nights are the best time to do the moorland trails imho.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What's gisburn/the moors like at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.