Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What's faster rolling? Minion DHF or DHR2
  • stevied
    Free Member

I’ve got a selection of tyres and looking to speed up the rolling a bit for summer. Question is, which is faster out of the DHR2 and DHF? Both are 3C, exo with the DHF being a 2.5, the DHR2 a 2.3 TR.
    I’m saving about 100g’s on the DHR so that would make a difference but, out of the 2, which do you find faster?
    I’ve gone to a Crossmark on the back (from the DHR) which made quite a difference too..

scruff
    Free Member

DHF tread design rolls quicker, all other things being equal.

Junkyard
    Free Member

No idea but there is always a play of fbetween fat rolling and less grip
    IME the really fast rolling stuff has a lit less grip than any minion

IMHO a narrower wheel will have less rolling resistance than a larger one

it may be so marginal you wont notice

stevied
    Free Member

I found the grip on the DHR to be brilliant on the back and the side lugs are almost identical to the DHF so I guess the turning grip will be about the same when on the front.
    I’ll give it a go this week and report back. Same route, back to back on Strava, should give an indication on which is faster…maybe.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is it the “old” DHF 2.5, which comes up narrow? The DHR2 2.3 is not far off the same width as that.

I can’t give a 100% certain answer, but I’ve ridden both and do prefer the DHR2 on the rear. Better braking grip and climbing traction I think, but still rolls well.

stevied
    Free Member

Is it the “old” DHF 2.5, which comes up narrow?

No, it’s the newer one so nearer to spec size than the old ones.
    Should have said it’s for the front, have been running a HDR2 out back which has been brilliant. Giving a Crossmark a go for more speed in the dry.

SirHC

Prefer the Minion DHF as a front tyre, rolls a bit quicker than the DHRII, not by a lot though (I find the rear makes more difference).

As far as rear tyres, I used to run a crossmark but when migrating to bigger wheels have used an Ardent Race on the back. Massive improvement in grip compared to the crossmark (forward & side), yet no difference in rolling resistance.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Reckon the DHF will be marginally faster but there’ll be sod all in it.

IMHO a narrower wheel will have less rolling resistance than a larger one

There’s good evidence that suggests the oposite is true

http://www.mtbonline.co.za/downloads/Rolling_Resistance_Eng_illustrated.pdf

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What's faster rolling? Minion DHF or DHR2’ is closed to new replies.