Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What's easier to seal..folding or wire tyres?
  • tcairns
    Free Member

Tubeless tyres are just plain expensive but with a bit of patience conventional tyres can be made to run tubless…but which seal easier folding or wired???

HermanShake
    Free Member

Folding IME, more rubber available around the bead. I’ve got wire to seal but it took a few days and needing topping up more than other tyres. New tyres seal up better as things are sticky and fresh. Tubeless ready is becoming quite a common feature for Spesh and Bonty (I’ve the easiest tubeless setup with Bonty). Maxxis folding tubeless easily too.

The jury’s out on Schwalbe as there’s something about them not being recommended due to delamination, but obviously lots of people use them. I’ve not had Schwalbe since I went tubeless as a coincidence and I don’t fancy finding out!

tcairns
    Free Member

Thanks Herman….it was Schwalbe I was going to convert..we shall find out (perhaps the hard way)!!!

br
    Free Member

Having just spent a number of hours over two days trying to get a wire-bead 27.5 Muddy Mary to seal tubelessly for a buddy, I’d say, not wire-bead…

Got it in the end, left the tyre overnight with an inner tube in.

And yes, I’ve a compressor.

shermer75
    Free Member

How do you get the tube out again?

chiefgrooveguru

How do you get the tube out again?

Only unseat one bead, then half the job is already done! Make sure the tyre is warm, lay it down unseated side up, put a bead of washing up liquid around the unseated bead to give you a temporary air seal, and pump like a maniac. If that fails, make a ghetto tubeless inflator!

pymwymis
    Free Member

Just seated a new Magic Mary 26 today. Sealing couldn’t have been easier as they’ve improved their tubeless ready system. The downside is they are bloody tight and very tough to get on. First time I’ve had yo use 3 levers ever !

Half the problem with tubeless is the rim – American Classics go up with the track pump dead easy, my new spank oozy rims are very tough to get up without first seating the tyre overnight with a tube in it and even then it can get a bit sweaty.

bigjim

I’m sure I remember reading you can’t use wire beads tubeless, or maybe I saw it on one of the stan’s notubes videos. Could be totally wrong but thought it was something to do with stretching and the strength of the bead.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What's easier to seal..folding or wire tyres?’ is closed to new replies.