• This topic has 41 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rs.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Whats causing this crack on my garage floor ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Base must be about 70 years old and has always had a slight crack but the last two weeks its got pretty big quickly, its not an alien trying to escape as ive had this checked out !

So what is the cause ? Worth contacting insurance company ? Garage is at end of the garden 70ft from house.

Whats the worse that can happen – topple over ?

jimdubleyou

Sinkhole?

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

Not built on an old cemetery is it?

Pyro

??

jam-bo

martinhutch

TOOOO SLOOOWWW

jam-bo

boom!!!

woody2000

Does look like it’s sinking on one side to me. Broken drain/ water pipe underneath? Neighbours digging tunnels? 😉

Kryton57

Its emanating from that heavyweight 26er.

willard

Badgers?

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

Contents look a bit picture heavy to me…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Basic slab failure. Slab has been undermined at one end and the weight of the garage (is it a prefab off the slab) has broken it’s back. Base probably has little or more likely no reinforcement in it.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Badgers?

Bodgers

just5minutes
    Free Member

do you have a relative of the Moleman of Hackney living next door?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7348949.stm

fasthaggis

You may have had a miner event nearby.

daftvader
    Free Member

a sticker?

Davesport

I guess you’re after a serious reply, well I’m convinced it’s got something to do with Quatermass and the Pit.

avdave2

Gravity

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

As the body decomposes it creates a small amount of subsidence, often resulting in such a crack as pictured. Consider patio?

coconut
    Free Member

Most likely summer shrink/swell of the soil. The concrete has suffered brittle failure and is unlikely to have steel reinforcement if its 70 years old.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Joseph Fritzel’s English cousin extending?

Basil

paint defect

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Art innit

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

What’s the prevailing soil type clayey (can roll moisten soil in to threads) or sandy?

Even if prdominatly clay with the age I wouldn’t expect normal shrink-swell action to suddenly be massively different to the other 70 years especially as we haven’t had record aim fall or drought conditions. Although long term attrition of movement causing voiding under the slab and progressive weaken of the slab is a possibility.

Has anything else changed in the vicinity? Added or removed trees?

Any slopes in proximity to the garage.

(Bored geotech eng watching track cycling drinking wine)

rwamartin
    Free Member

Slab looks a bit thin. Probably dry ground combined with the weight of the garage. Does the picture of the door, which is out of true with the frame, have the end closest to the right or left?

spooky_b329

Consider your options before contacting insurance company. i.e the hassle when you have to reveal that the property or any land within 150 metres has suffered from land heave/subsidence/slip when trying to sell, and the insurance quote website falling over in shock each time you try and change insurer…

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

crack on the floor you say

allthepies
    Free Member

Japanese knotweed.

pictonroad

Been dry lately, it’ll close up when it rains again.

Probably.

twisty

Probably water erosion has undermined the base over a long time, then more recently the slab eventually cracked under the stress hence it is now ‘settling’ relatively quickly.

One solution could be to first fix the underlying water erosion problem, and then inject mortar or polyeuethane under the base to float it back into alignment and then fix the crack using some epoxy crack sealer.

Another solution could be to knock the whole thing down and build a new garage/manshed in its place.

In any case you can try contacting the insurers just expect them to require insane amounts of paperwork and be really slow and convoluted and for it to probably cost you more than getting it rebuilt.

hora
    Free Member

Fracking nearby?

Heavy rains locally?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

If it’s really bothering you take the garage apart, lay new slab and rebuild.

cvilla

Is it just the floor that’s cracked, any photos of the whole garage to give us an idea. I. E. Is there any other movement in walls, or doors sticking in frames.
    As mentioned check drains are running free. When you put a long stick through Crack goes it hit earth?
    Clear the grass by the door to eye if ground being washed away.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Garage could do with a bit of a tidy up

neilforrow

FunkyDunc – Member
    Garage could do with a bit of a tidy up

This.

Recon’ its the shear weight of crap stored in there. Looks like something of a channel 5 program about hoarders! Do you even know whats at the back of the garage?

Sensible answer is shrink / swell or ‘heave’ of the ground under the slab. Downpipe exiting off the garage roof against the wall? cracked drain?? look at where the water is going first.

gary

Had a similar crack in mine – as per other suggestions, you just have a basic slab base and slowly the weight of the wall and some movement means the floor loses. I was lead to believe its a fairly common failure of that kind of base.

I needed to fit a new garage door, and the structure wasn’t square, so I needed to do something about it. I managed to get the whole garage rebuilt courtesy of insurance with nice foundations for the new wall. Didn’t seem too hard to get done but wasn’t super quick; seemed to be helped a bit by the fact I’d just bought the place and the survey had failed to comment on the issue.

As above, there are some implications of doing it on insurance and I’ve not changed my insurance company since as a result!!

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I’m back in the room !

Thanks for replies amusing and serious ones, I’ll go with the old base bit and weight cause.

Living 7 miles from centre of London I’ve not heard of any fracking going on and there are no major drains nearby.

Thanks for all help

coconut
    Free Member

Very likely your located on London Basin Geology and you have London Clay under the foundation. L.C is a high plasticity clay which suffer volumetric changes due to shrink swell. The clay has shrunk in the dry summer months and the pad has been slightly undermined by a few cm. I would leave it as it is, come winter the crack aperture will contract a bit.

hora
    Free Member

7miles from London. Bloody loaded!

tom200

I would guess you probably have a tree in the vicinity, causing shrinkage.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Whats causing this crack on my garage floor ?’ is closed to new replies.