Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What's bigger than singletrack world?
  • Ewan
    Free Member

In a recent thread Mark said that STW had 600k visitors a month and that made it the 3rd biggest MTB site. Who’s bigger? My guesses…

1. MTBR
    2. Pinkbike?
    3. STW

Anyone know the actual answer?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

You mean there are other places to argue with strangers?

Ewan
    Free Member

Who knows – there could be another TJ and elf out there…. 😯

donsimon
    Free Member

600k unique visitors?

RealMan
    Free Member

Your mother?

Sorry.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

If just been to the Social/Politics forum on PinkBike and it appears they don’t have mods, I’ve had to censor this quote from a thread on the Lockerbie bomber

why is non justice silly ..why is some r**head killing 270 innocent people silly .. the scottish t**t that released him on compassionate grounds now has to answer every case that falls into that criteria . if some peedo or rapist attakd yer maw and got life then because he has ball cancer gets released would you be happy with that decision ??? i think not .certain crimes should mean life in jail and if you get life it should mean that . again the uk is showing it is a nanny state , it is too soft and genrally has no back bone .

This looks like a place for some of our big hitters

Northwind

Going by traffic, Bikeradar’s forum is an awful lot bigger… Can’t make any call for the rest of the site, obviously.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Who knows – there could be another TJ and elf out there….

C’est not actually possible, I’m afraid. 😐

This place wins cos it has me. You should all be grateful.

derekrides
    Free Member

Actually, this place loses because of you two, according to just about everyone i speak to in the real world..

But then that’s just me, and you don’t bother me any..

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

in the real world..

But its not the real world, its Singletrack world, where getting flamed is your baptism.

When I lived in Chelmsford many moons ago, we’d wait opposite the bus station every Friday night to watch the locals fight and vomit kebabs, same guys week in, week out; Elfin and TJ are those guys, entertaining to us and only harming themselves

jon1973
    Free Member

Who knows – there could be another TJ and elf out there….

kimbers

iirc pinkbike is the biggest

its all transient though, todays facebook is yesterdays myspace

Northwind

Shurely Rocky Road is the biggest in europe? Says so on their website, must be true

kayak23

Jesus…….no, the Beatles.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

derekrides – Member

Actually, this place loses because of you two, according to just about everyone i speak to in the real world..

But then that’s just me, and you don’t bother me any..

Any chance of clarifying that……..is it according to just about everyone you speak to, or is just you ?

Woody
    Free Member

Actually ernie, I’ve had the same comment made to me several times by relative strangers. Not about Elf in particular, more to do with the ‘in jokes’ and obvious cliquiness.

If the figures were available (which I’m sure they are to the powers that be) for visitors as opposed to posters, I would assume the % who actually post is tiny.

How you go about rectifying that and encouraging a broader base of posters is a very difficult task and balancing the more ‘entertaining’ aspects of the site and keeping it ‘family friendly’, while retaining interest for the those of us who are happy with a bit of adult banter is not easy.

Answers on a postcard please to STW Towers.

Northwind

The last time I heard a non-STW member describe this place it was “full of mental patients”.

TBH this feels like it’s getting smaller, maybe not in traffic but in attitude and atmosphere… A bit small-town. But that’s just my thoughts of course.

Stoner
    Free Member

I imagine the plurality on the bike forum is far greater than in chat, and that’s where it matters on a bike site in terms of “service” offered.

donsimon
    Free Member

The last time I heard a non-STW member describe this place it was “full of mental patients”.

Is that a positive or negative comment?

carbon337
    Free Member

I know quite a few folk who don’t post as they say the place is full of **** holes, they may have a point but it is occasionally entertaining.

BR is crap and PB is full of kids. If there was an alternative if be off.

I’ve cancelled my subscription and don’t buy mags at shops either. Content is too focused on a certain geographical area and too many stories of weekends in tents with blokes discussing real ale.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Actually ernie, I’ve had the same comment made to me several times by relative strangers. Not about Elf in particular, more to do with the ‘in jokes’ and obvious cliquiness.

Right, I’ve clocked onto what derekrides was saying – I couldn’t figure it out initially. Although it seems a little strange to emphasise what you think is wrong with a MTB forum, when the subject matter being discussed is its relative success. Presumably they’re doing something right, unless you think 3rd biggest MTB site falls well short. I guess the truth lies in the fact that not all people like all the things which other people like, there will always be dissenters. And this includes “what constitutes a good MTB forum”.

molgrips
    Free Member

Singletrack Solar System.

muckytee
    Free Member

Every forums has its “characters” but at the end of the day I can just log out, have a biscuit and all is well, people take the internet too seriously…

Massive forums with tons of posters make me feel like I am just talking to “the internet” instead of having a convo with a particular user or group of them.

donsimon
    Free Member

What cliques? This is subjective apparently, but surely a forum that brings people together is successful and like most things you get out of it what you put in.
    The relative strangers I engage in conversation have never heard of STW. Is that good or bad?

racefaceec90

his mega lo mania 😡

MrSmith
    Free Member

A bit small-town. But that’s just my thoughts of course.

the word ‘provincial’ sums it up for me.

Woody
    Free Member

The relative strangers I engage in conversation have never heard of STW. Is that good or bad?

Depends if they are mountainbikers !

downshep

It’s not the size, it’s what you do with it…

derekrides
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Any chance of clarifying that……..is it according to just about everyone you speak to, or is just you ?

Clarifying it in what way? I don’t care what those two <insert appropriate none racist, none homophobic, none aggressive yet still ironically degrading insult for attention seeking opinionated beings> get up to, but having discussed the site with other riders who have been and gone, the place is really valued for its classifieds, but renown for bad tempered and insulting tossers, highly cliquey and heavily lycra clad.

In the real world most ATB riders do not act in the way this forum acts, if it did, lots of lights would be punched out, then as is so often the case, it’s easy to be big behind a little keyboard and screen and anonymous ID.

There was great humour here a few years back or so I’m told, there is humour here now and again, but it is so heavily outweighed by leftist bullshit and hypocrisy.. Rules for the insiders different from rules for new comers..

Fascinating place though, never seen so many in one place.

Er atheists that is.

Northwind

derekrides – Member

In the real world most ATB riders do not act in the way this forum the internet acts

You can’t think this is unique to STW though? It’s one of the golden rules of the internet.

derekrides – Member

it is so heavily outweighed by leftist bullshit and hypocrisy.

And there’s no right-wing bullshit and hypocrisy at all? The biggest political fantasists on this forum are on the right IMO, they’re outnumbered but not outgunned.

donsimon
    Free Member

Depends if they are mountainbikers !

In this case they are.

Rules for the insiders different from rules for new comers..

Feeling left out of something that only exists in your imagination? What are these cliques you talk about? What is your problem with lycra? Why do you think there should be rules to suit your needs?
    You are starting to come across as a bit of a whinger, so I’ll let you get on with it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

but apart from that you like us

but it is so heavily outweighed by leftist bullshit and hypocrisy

do the EDL or the KKK not have a website more suited your views?
    What about UKIP?
    You are still upset because you got banned for racism arent you derek.
    Do you need a hug?
    cliquey you say …i think we can get a flounce out of this one 😉

Woody
    Free Member

DS/Junkyard

What you have done there is the classic comtemptuous dismissal of a ‘newcomer’ who has given his opinion.

Is it any wonder that people are reluctant to post?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What's bigger than singletrack world?’ is closed to new replies.