Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What's better for you? Cous cous, fresh pasta or brown rice
  • thered

Cos as anybody I ride with can tell you, I need all the help I can get

Solo
    Free Member

Please forgive me.
    😀

What is Better for you ?.

purser_mark
    Free Member

What do you want it to do?

thered

Forum grammar nazi in da house.

Energy provision

Paceman
    Free Member

Dried wholewheat pasta i’d have thought, not an expert though.

neninja
    Free Member

I’d go for wild brown rice as it’s unprocessed

I’d rather eat Cous cous of those 3 though

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have tried all 3 in the past.

Fresh pasta taste the nicest. Cous cous is a bit bland unless you put herbs and flavourings in had lemon cous cous last night mmm.

Porridge gives me more fuel than any of them though!

Rubber_Buccaneer

better for me? Anything but the couscous. That stuff has made me gag ever since a holiday in Morocco many years ago. I would guess the fresh pasta will contain the most calories if that is what you want. Why not check the nutritional info on the packet?

purser_mark
    Free Member

If you want slow release energy the higher fibre items will be better, less processed and will take your body longer to break it down. I would expect brown rice to be the highest in fibre out of these?

Porridge is also good, with unprocessed oats, not Readybrek!

Instant energy releases can help, things you can get into your system fast if you have a sustained climb approaching and feel a bit jaded. Jelly babies, flat Coke, Chocolate etc. Give it time to work though 10-30mins.

I find flapjack is the best of both worlds. Has a sugary but not to processed punch and also the slow release energy of oats. It also fills you up, doesn’t melt, tastes good and is easy to carry in a pack.

Combine this with a healthy breakfast, porridge etc, lots and lots of water and you should be good to go all day.

May also be worth looking at electrolytes for your water, I used these in Spain when it was in the mid thirties each day and I was losing a lot of salt.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Brown rice is “the best” for you of those three. Any of them eaten in moderation is OK and IMO that’s the key, I don’t eat badly I just eat too much.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rice softest on your guts, variety is good, though many do not get on with too much wheat.

snakebite
    Free Member

porridge is great for slow release, longer rides, but for our 15 mile Thursday fukabout, you just need to MTFU.

rootes1

there was a think on diet from last years Tour De France..

seems most of the peloton now get their carbs from rice rather than pasta as rice is low gluten to help with inflammation control…

not sure if it is true or not

uselesshippy
    Free Member

red meats what you need 😀

legspin
    Free Member

none you should be on the ifad of the moment

Solo
    Free Member

none you should be on the ifad of the moment

Still better than Trollin though.
    😉

legspin
    Free Member

Why who’s s troll?

Jackrabbit
    Free Member

Brown rice is utterly rank. Couscous is the best because I tend to find pasta makes for a bloated tum.

sparkyrhino

Chips?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Isn’t couscous effectively pasta broken up into very small pieces?

Made from durum wheat, innit?

portlyone

Semolina

jwmlee
    Free Member

Brown rice. Short grain can be quite pleasant. Like most things, you get used to eating healthy food.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What's better for you? Cous cous, fresh pasta or brown rice’ is closed to new replies.