Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Whats better for a single ring…
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

A double or a triple crankset?

I’m thinking its a triple as the middle ring position will give the best chain line, or is the big ring on a double in the same position?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the bcd of both is the same and they are in the same position as a triple just has two where a double has one.
    It does not matter basically.

RobHilton
    Free Member

6 of 1

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrjmt
    Free Member

Excellent, ta. 8)

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

more rings

svalgis
    Free Member

The spiders on doubles usually look better as they’re meant to be “exposed” as opposed to a triple, so I’d go for that unless you want to use a bash ring. Chainline can be adjusted (although there shouldn’t be much difference anyway).

reggiegasket
    Free Member

from what I’ve read, some doubles don’t like being used as a single, for certain tooth rings – e.g the spider on a SLX double won’t run a 32t without some DIY, whereas the triple is fine.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The BCD of the double and the triple is the same so why it would struggle?

My slx ran 32 fine on 9 speed

njee20
    Free Member

Triple. Not all doubles are the same – XTR Race doubles are a unique 88mm BCD and the ring spacing isn’t the same, likewise SRAM doubles which are 80/120mm. The rings are in between granny/middle and middle/outer. So you can either have the chain line a few mm further in or out.

That said… Does look neater because you can use the outer position the ring is in front of the spider.

RobHilton
    Free Member

the spider on a SLX double won’t run a 32t

Nonsense

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Whats better for a single ring…’ is closed to new replies.