Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Whats best / lowest cost phone I can get good OS maps on ?
  • simonm
    Free Member

looking to use a phone to view OS maps on trail, I have a blackberry but there are no OS maps available, what Android phones have a nice sized display and have OS maps available ?

Cheers.

MikeG

Orange Monte Carlo?

4.3″ screen, about £100 PAYG, can be unlocked for free, lots of custom roms now being developed.

scaredypants

what MikeG said – I put backcountry naigator app on mine yesterday after some clever person recommended it on here (app is free to try for 2wk, 6 quid or so to buy)

App let me download an OS map that I specfied and shows it really well – zoomable and goes down to a good level of detail (looks like 1:25000).

Whether it’s fast enough to use reliably when riding I don’t know as I haven’t tried but it did fine in my mate’s car tonight. Also not sure about waterproofing or battery life if you kept the screen on.

So, great for keeping in a pocket to look at periodically; unknown quantity for use as a bar-mounted GPS

(just checked – seems the map zoom goes to way below 1:25000 – maybe 1:1000 ? (I can fill the screen with a blurry version of our house and display suggests 1cm=10m at that zoomage)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I got a second hand HTC Hero for £50, and installed mmtracker on it (already have Memory Map files)

simonm
    Free Member

Cheers. Is it HTC to run memory map then ?

ampthill

I think its any Android make matters not one bit

mate told me his bottom rung Samsung Android is allowing him to pick up maps from memory map

I have a galaxy ace. I think its a good didplay for the money. Smaller and brighter than the monte carlo mentioned above

You need to find the app then find what version of android it needs then make sure the phone you buy has that version of android or newer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Whats best / lowest cost phone I can get good OS maps on ?’ is closed to new replies.