Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What's a Weekend Warrior?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

There was some mention of this term on another thread. I’d always assumed it was someone who partakes of their chosen sport [biking, kayaking, whatever] on occasional weekends, rather than someone who does it more often. I guess by definition the people doing it more often are likely to be doing it for a living.

Then the impression I got was that its real/common meaning was someone who just wasn’t very good.

There will of course tend to be some correlation between people who don’t bike very often and people who aren’t very good, but not in all cases.

So what does it really mean?

Stoner
    Free Member

I gather wwaswas was one once 🙂

ojom
    Free Member

I’m Spartacus.

Northwind

“You’re a weekend warrior when
    you’re one of the crowd”

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I always thought it was someone who lived and breathed biking, yet they only did it on a Sunday.

samuri
    Free Member

I always took it as someone who was both not very good at it and only did it at the weekends but thought they were fantastic at it.

“I nailed every berm at Llandelga this weekend at record pace!”

i.e., he rode round like an old lady round the black run in 4 hours and was indeed faster than he’d ever been before.

MrSparkle

Member of the TA?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Condescension

CheesybeanZ

Trainee storm trooper .

fr0sty125
    Free Member

My understanding of the term is this

Derogatory term used for those who participate in an activity typically at weekends and not dedicated obsessives/pros who do it all the time.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

sc-xc

I gather wwaswas was one once

I understand he was a weekend worrier…I have been admonished for making this mistake.

garage-dweller

I thought it was another term for all the gear no idea but with the added excessive self bigging uppery (see llandegla reference above). Probably drives a diesel audi too fast on the m4.

MS
    Free Member

I thought it was another term for all the gear no idea but with the added excessive self bigging uppery (see llandegla reference above). Probably drives a diesel audi too fast on the m4.

Also someone who takes a pack with the kitchen sink in it. The size of bags people carry, even at races still amazes me!

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

This is straight from urban dictionary so it must be true… you fools need to get your drink and smoke on:

(Noun) One who has obligations during the week, i.e. job or school etc., but he/she enjoys being belligerently drunk and high all weekend to the extent of passing or blacking out. These people are notorious for staying up until sunrise and wearing the same clothes into the next day. They only qualify if he/she parties on all nights of the weekend – no days off – This requires much will power and obedience to binge drinking and smoking. However these people are not only limited to partying on weekends, weekdays are acceptable too.

After thirty games of beer pong (ruit), smoking six blunts, and getting some skins over the course of the weekend, the sun started to come up early sunday morning and Max established his weekend warrior status.

timidwheeler

Listen to the album ‘fear of the dark’ by Iron Maiden. I believe they cover the issue in detail.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Most of these type of put down are vain attempts to take the focus of ones own inabilities.

ac282

I never thought of it as being anything other than weekend only riders. I’ve never v thought of it as derogatory.

trevron73
    Free Member

I thought i was a trail god until today when i think i was followed-I always took it as someone who was both not very good at it and only did it at the weekends but thought they were fantastic at it.

“I nailed every berm at Llandelga this weekend at record pace!”

i.e., he rode round like an old lady round the black run in 4 hours and was indeed faster than he’d ever been before.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Normally seen as condescending or derogatory round biking for the all the gear types. Huge travel very expensive bike nailing every b line in spooky wood

xherbivorex
    Free Member

we (brownbacks) have a category in our races named Weekend Warriors. there is no derogatory intent behind the name whatsoever. for us, it merely represents those riders who don’t feel they’re fast enough to enter the full-on racer category, but possess enough skill and fitness to ride the same course as those racers (compared to the “have-a-go hero” cat, which is for those who are maybe fairly new to mountain biking but want to try their hand at racing and is on a slightly less technically difficult course to the racers).
    if there’s any negative connotations to the term, then surely that’s just implied by whoever is using it (i.e. half of the “keyboard warriors” that ruin post on STW!)

Northwind

It means lots of different things tbh. In motorbiking, traditionally it’s the officer worker who spends all week in a suit and all weekend in denim ‘n’ levvers, it’s pretty derogatory- basically an accusation of fakeness, people who want to put the lifestyle on for a day or two but not live it full time.

With the TA I guess it’s pretty literal, and since terrys I know use the term happily I guess there’s no insult.

According to the philosphers Bailey and Dickinson it’s people who get tanked up with their mates at the weekend and get in aggro then regret it on monday.

I don’t really know what it’s supposed to mean for mountain bikers tbh, just doesn’t really seem to make much sense. Lots of people only ride at the weekend, it’s a hobby not a scene/lifestyle.

wwaswas

I gather wwaswas was one once

I understand he was a weekend worrier…I have been admonished for making this mistake.

I’m pleased to say that I’ve put most of my worries behind me now.

I will always be a worrier not a warrior though.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I always thought it was someone who lived and breathed biking, yet they only did it on a Sunday.

This. And who wears a Met Parachute helmet, probably some form of armour as well.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Rather be a weekend warrior than a blobby ol’ couch potato heading for obesity and heartattacksville!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What's a Weekend Warrior?’ is closed to new replies.