Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What's a nicer ride to Amberley? From Pulborough or Arundel?
  • nedrapier

Meeting some mates along the SDW tomorrow.

Shall I get off the train at Pulborough and cycle South, or get off at Arundel and cycle North?

Is there a path along the river?

Cheers!

wwaswas

After last nights ride on the Downs around Brighton I’d say the route with the most Tarmac;

It was a bit better if you stayed ‘up top’ though.

njee20
    Free Member

Pulborough to Amberley is pretty flat (on the road at least), Arundel really isn’t – you have Bury Hill in between.

nedrapier

Hmmm.

Mates are doing Winch – Brighton. I’ve said already that I don’t want to do the whole lot. I’ve nearly shaken off an ilness which has stopped me doing any real exercise for 4 weeks and I don’t want to set myself back.

Even more glad of that decision after seeing your photo, wwaswas!

I can’t remember that many opportunities for proper mud on the SDW itself between Amberley and Brighton, though. Or am I deluding myself?

nedrapier

cheers njee, in light of conditions elsewhere, I’ll go for Pulborough!

wwaswas

on the sdw itself it was more just ‘wet and very squidgy’ than proper muddy (that was taken about half a mile south of Truleigh Hill).

The green chalk was out in force though, I nearly got caught out badly a couple of times, so go careful on the downhills unless it dries out significantly before tomorrow.

nedrapier

Light rain showers forecast for 4am tomorrow, otherwise fine. Fingers crosed!

Ta!

m1kea
    Free Member

In Arundel, you can ride along Mill Rd by the river past the castle up to and beyond the Black Rabbit pub. The road carries on to South Stoke and there are trails either around the river to Houghton, or across the river to North Stoke.

I’ve not been on these myself so don’t what you can actually do but the OS get a map site and OSM maps confirm there are bridleways/paths there.

Oh and enjoy the bar chewing up Amberley Mount 👿

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m going to suggest Arundel is the more convenient option. From Arundel station you have the option of meeting your mates somewhere along the ridge between Amberley Mount & Kithurst Hill. This is the leeward side of the downs Pulborough is further and on the scarp side. If you go past the Black Rabbit you will still have to climb Amberley Mount which is a good warm up….. No, I say take the little road almost opposite Arundel station that heads for Warningcamp/Burhpam and you will be able to use tarmac then firm farm track. The woods are an option but likely to be muddy.

nedrapier

Cheers Rubber Buc, I’ll take a look at that.

Rubber_Buccaneer

You will need a map, if I were at home I’d post up the route I’m suggesting. Not quite as easy as following road signs but nothing complicated.

Have a good day tomorrow 🙂

nedrapier

I’ll find these on Googles Earth this evening:

the little road almost opposite Arundel station that heads for Warningcamp/Burhpam and you will be able to use tarmac then firm farm track.

Thanks, should be easy to, will be good to catch up with those guys. Literally and metaphorically!

njee20
    Free Member

As an aside… have you looked for a train stopping at Amberley?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What's a nicer ride to Amberley? From Pulborough or Arundel?’ is closed to new replies.