Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What's a 'main wiring harness' (VW content)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Looking at the wiring diagrams for my car on ELSAwin, they all make sense apart from these things that are circles with a number in. The diagram says it’s ‘Connection 20 (87a), in main wiring harness’. What does this mean?

The ecu connections and all the rest of the wiring all seems fine, but this is something else. Some of the circles refer to earth points, but I dunno what a ‘main wiring harness’ is.

Northwind

Usually just means the main loom- central wiring run that goes through most of the car onto which other bits attach. Harness is a fairly american way to describe it, i think…

mrsoane
    Free Member

Car harnesses are usually split into two or three sections, engine bay, interior and/or back end, I’d guess the main harness here may be the interior.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    marcus7
    Free Member

Yeah its what I would have called a loom years ago!, having said that should you be tinkering with it if you aren’t sure what it is…. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

What I don’t understand is that the wires that go to the various connectors are all labelled by colour and the pins in the various connectors at each end. The main connector for the big fat chunk of wires is called J627 or something. This ‘main wiring harness’ connection is something else.

I wonder if it refers to the wire in question joining another wire, rather than terminating at a connector…? Hmm.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Google is your friend, some very nice photos of main wiring harnesses. Once you’ve visualised what one is, the rest might fall into place.

andydicko
    Free Member

I read it as a connection to a Relay, pin 87a is a relay designation (5 pin relay)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What's a 'main wiring harness' (VW content)’ is closed to new replies.