Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What's a good value touring/cx/commuter bike or frame?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Drop bars, disc brakes

Frame or full bike

ton

size?

djtom
    Free Member

Planet X London Road (assuming that they are still knocking them out for £150).
    There’s a massive thread on here somewhere, and a frame in my garage waiting to get built up. It looks pretty good considering the price!

dknwhy

Depends what you class as “value”.
    I got my boardman CX comp for £450ish with various discounts but have spent almost the same again improving the spec.
    If I were to do the same again, i’d opt for a Pinnacle Arkose 2 and then upgrade the wheels.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Kaffenback

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Kona Sutra LTD?

It’s what I keep coming to. Or a Rove. Don’t know how to choose one over the other, TBH.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Planet X- factor in buying several seat posts til one fits.

Arkose would tick all the boxes, has a similar epic thread but without the poor QC and CS posts.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

PX email earlier this week promised £100 off Kaff’s

They are 649 today which became 750 after tinkering with my imaginary spec, their price model seems utterly random but I think they were 799 when I last looked

Prob is that I have 649 and could just about make 750 but still be left with a heavy lump. The hydraulic London Road looks much better specced but so it should for 999

Humph

The Akrose is rather lovely too and much better finished, anyone have a sniff of any possible deals before autumn?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all

tang
    Free Member

Got a kinesis pro6 f&f 56/57, Spesh pave seatpost, salsa cowbells, stem plus full wrap guards.

smitghga34
    Free Member

How about GT Grade, I like the look of teh carbon 105 version but they do alloy frame ones too that are cheaper

MoreCashThanDash

Pinnacle Arkrose.

You have to recommend what you have on here, right?

nbt

Speak to the lovely (cough) cough Jon at your LBS Bicycle Smithy and see if he can be of assistance. He’s been very good for me.

PMK2060

Boardman cx team £590 at the moment (£530 with British cycling discount). Cracking vfm.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Boardman seems to be £649?

aP
    Free Member

I’ve got a 56cm Trek Portland which I need to sell – £250?
    One of these, but without the useless mudguards:

PMK2060

Halfords have had a offer on for the last week where you got £60 off when you spent £600. This must have ended yesterday.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Verenti bikes on Wiggle?

steezysix
    Free Member

Have a look at the Norco Search S3, Evans have got them discounted atm. I’ve got the older version and it’s great, loads of rack mounts and will take 35mm tyres easily.
    Norco Search

matt_outandabout

aP – if jamesgarbett is not interested, I am…

Email in profile – some more details and pics if you would….

RustyNissanPrairie

As per Steezysix above, I have the 2015 Norco Search S3, great value at just over £500 for full Tiara, chromoly f&f, and Hayes Comp brakes.
    Pretty much half price of a Spesh AWOL.

BadlyWiredDog

Anyone tried the Verenti bikes on Wiggle?

A friend has one of the steel cross bikes – a Substance I think – it looks nice, is deceptively heavy but feels super sturdy, does the job fine, the job being mostly flattish commuting with a bit of local pottering about thrown in. I wouldn’t buy one expecting to top the Strava leaderboards any time soon, but if you can live with the weight, it’s fine and good value for what it is at 450 quid. A bastard to lift over stiles though, watch out for dislocated shoulders, slipped discs etc. 🙂

I guess something similar with an alloy frame will be a fair bit lighter or maybe go singlespeed and save a bunch of weight and dosh on gears, I always fancied something like a Langster or similar. Verenti again… looks like it might be entertaining and not mad expensive.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What's a good value touring/cx/commuter bike or frame?’ is closed to new replies.