Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What's a good solo Lakes mission?
  • sharkattack

I’ve just been ordered to take a week off work as I have to use my holidays up before the end of March. So as of 6pm on Saturday, I have 9 days off. This came as a very pleasant surprise. I felt like I’d just got lucky on a scratch card or something.

I want to go somewhere that I’ve never been before, sleep in the van, cook on a stove, pedal a bike around a bit and see some nice scenery for two or three days next week.

I don’t know my way around the Lakes other than Keswick and Whinlatter. I’m not adverse to dropping in but I’d rather go somewhere new and less crowded. Preferably somewhere that, if the worst happens, my body won’t be lying around too long.

What have you got for all day loops for a Lakes newbie? Preferably more long and scenic than death defying since I’ll be riding alone. Decent camp sites? I might even splash out on somewhere with a shower for a change since I’m working now.

Just throw some ideas out and I’ll stitch something together. Cheers.

martinhutch

Buy the vertebrate graphics Lakes guide – stacks of good routes, some low, some high. The shorter ones can be stitched together to make longer rides.

postierich
    Free Member

🙂 a good solo ride you say

postierich
    Free Member

Shark attack I,m leading a ride out of Glennridding on Sunday 9.45am start if weather is good Hellvellyn is on if not Kepple cove Sticks Pass + a bit of cheeky then Boredale Hause.

sharkattack

Buy the vertebrate graphics Lakes guide

I’ve got the Peaks one as I’m based in Sheffield now and it’s excellent so I’ll probably order this one even thought it’s a bit late for this trip.

a good solo ride you say
    https://www.relive.cc/view/818839425

That looks like an immense effort with lots of potential for lostness.

I,m leading a ride out of Glennridding on Sunday 9.45am

Thanks I’ll keep that in mind. Let’s see where I end up!

richardkennerley

Tour of Coniston. Start in Grizedale forest then head clockwise round Coniston, taking in Parkamoor, Torver, Seathwaite, Walna scar and back into Grizedale.

sharkattack

I just found loads of PDF maps which I can print out at work tomorrow. I’ve never done the Borrowdale Bash or the Skiddaw Loop so I might base myself in Kewswick after all and tick those of the list. I seem to remember there’s a campsite with super hot, steamy showers at the bottom of the Whinlatter road so I might check that out.

jekkyl

Keswick to Buttermere and back. Bits of the bash and/or back over Newlands valley.
    I’d also spend a day in Buttermere and ride over to Ennerdale forest/lake & back either by road or over the pass if the weather’s good.

jekkyl

Keswick to Pooley Bridge & back would be a fairly easy one. out to Threlkeld, coach road and bits of helvellyn massif to Glenridding, road to Pooley bridge for lunch. Back along the ullswater singletrack and same route back.

duncancallum

Loughrigg fell
    http://www.pedalnorth.com/content/loughrigg-loop

Plus an afternoon in the elterwater pubs

TomB

Today I rode (walked…) a solo loop in the central fells which was good, and suitable for a competent map reader in good conditions. Stonethwaite-langstrath-stake pass- angle tarn- Esk hause shelter-sty head- seathwaite. Stunning day, I’ll put some pics up when I have chance. Took about 3.5 hours, icy patches affected the riding a bit but a cracking day out. Obviously could all change with the weather, and is quite committing. A long valley day round here would be skiddaw loop and borrowdale bash in a day, but getting dark from 4ish.

core

Borrowdale bash? Too obvious?

I rode it solo in 2015 for my first taste of the lakes, on my old soul, which would now be considered very retro.

It was a weekend, but there were quite a lot of people on the route despite the foul weather and I never felt too exposed or unsafe.

Northwind

Maybe I just got unlucky but I got the Vertebrate guide and followed its instructions for Garburn pass- turned out the troutbeck side which it raved about as a descent was turned into a road years ago. Always the danger with books, the current edition is about 7 years old. Wasn’t amused after slogging up it counterclockwise!

chaos

Skiddaw loop’s definitely a good one and nice to have the final part being a long descent straight back to your base in Keswick. There’s a bit more road than ideal but it gives the legs a chance to recover.

Just did it a week ago 🙂

Cowman

I prefer the Cicerone Guide. Try that for some nice loops.

For a ride on your own, the Loughrigg and Rydal loop is ace.

whitestone
    Free Member

@Northwind – Garburn’s definitely better going west to east, the Troutbeck side is a steady climb.

OP: There’s plenty around Staveley between there and Kentmere. Ask at Wheelbase in Staveley.

There’s the aforementioned loops around Loughrigg and the Coniston loop. Claife Heights and Grizedale, Dunnerdale has plenty of trails.

Check out the Pedalnorth site linked above, there’s lots in there.

flyingmonkeycorps

Staveley – High Borrans – Dubbs Reservoir – Garburn Pass – Kentmere – Sadgill – up Gatesgarth – across to Harter Fell – Nan Bield – Kentmere – Hall Wood – Sawmill Cott. then road back to Staveley is a pretty cracking day out.

Pretty exposed at this time of year and there might not be many folk about though.

Northwind

whitestone – Member

@Northwind – Garburn’s definitely better going west to east, the Troutbeck side is a steady climb.

Yah, that’s how I’d do it now but point was the guidebook is full of how great the Troutbeck descent is.

djflexure

Your mention of remote and scenic reminded me that I always wanted to ride up Ennerdale valley – don’t know if you can easily make a loop this time of year. Perhaps others could advise re suitability.

Esme
    Free Member

You should be able to buy the Vertebrate guidebook at Wheelbase in Staveley or Bike Treks in Ambleside.
    And even better, the guys in there will be able to suggest some suitable routes for you.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What's a good solo Lakes mission?’ is closed to new replies.