Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What's a good over the counter painkiller?
  • Spud

Co-codamol seems to be it at the moment, is there anything else that would be good for back pain? Anything with diclofenac is out.

Moses

Ibuprofen?

jon1973
    Free Member

I found Ibuprofen taken on a regular basis helps with back pain – it deals with the inflamation as well as the pain. Not sure you want to be taking anything with Codeine in it for more than a few days. The thing that sorted me out in the end was a couple of visits to a physio and doing the stretching exercises that she recommended. Not really suffered to the same degree since.

molgrips
    Free Member

Neurofen Plus is the strongest I find. Or anything else with codeine in it.

kinda666
    Free Member

I used Paramol when i broke my collarbone, i topped up with Ibrufen at night!

brassneck

Cocodamol works for me for all purposes really.

But if you need to ask here, I'd see a quack about something a bit stronger and getting a root cause investigation.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Strong booze and lots of cannabis.

Cougar

(removed, ignore me)

footflaps

400mg Ibuprofen plus 2x 8.500 Co-Cocodamol 3x a day is what the Doc recommended for me the last time my back seized. Seemed to work.

Antonyfw
    Free Member

Cannabis works for mild aches and pains. Para and Ibup combo work brilliant. Alcohol doesn't work for me.

molgrips
    Free Member

+1 for fixing what is wrong to begin with.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I was being daft.

Isn't co-promamol (sp?) now banned? That was a good one but prescription only.

Had co-dydromol (sp again?!) for a dislocated shoulder – now that is weapons grade stuff!

Antonyfw
    Free Member

Well Surf-Mat your daftness is closer to the truth than you might think. After all Cannabis and Alcohol are two of the most practiced sedatives in the UK. If not THE most practiced.

_foxie_
    Free Member

i got driven through the back of whilst on my motorbike few weeks ago… was prescribed diazepam… woweeee, that was the best night's sleep I'd ever had.

to be honest, they scared me a little, so have been on ibuprofen + the gel stuff too. along with physio, this seems to be working OK, and stops me getting hooked on the hard stuff.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Had co-dydromol (sp again?!) for a dislocated shoulder – now that is weapons grade stuff!

I've a large box of codydramol at home, it has about the same effect on me as 8/500 cocodamol, far less than 30/500 cocodamol. Neither are over the counter.

timraven

Cuprofen max strength, cheaper than Nurofen, with a trip to a decent Osteopath.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Neurofen Plus is the strongest I find.

But probably also the most expensive you can find.

Is there really any point to paying £3 for branded ibuprofen when you can get the same amount unbranded for 40p?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, but Neurofen Plus is ibuprofen plus codeine, which is what makes the difference. You can get generic ibuprofen and codeine, but not everywhere.

Normal Neurofen is no different to the 40p stuff ime.

Milkie
    Free Member

Tylex, Kapake (extremely high dose of co-codamol) are very good for pains, but I think they are perscription only. As said Co-Dydramol is pretty good, caused me headaches tho, diazepam for mild pains. Cannabis for joint pain (see wot i did there!) or just any pain as long its not too bad.

I would give it a week self medicating, then get to a doctor for perscribed drugs.

Spud

Thanks for the replies, I have been seeing a chiro since March when it finally gave up and my riding as been sporadic since and I could with something to help when it flares-up when out and about. I asked the GP and was told ibuprofen – which does nowt.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Dump the chiropractor Woo-Woo "medicine". Get the doctor to refer you to a decent physio.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What's a good over the counter painkiller?’ is closed to new replies.