Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What's a good newbie running/jogging shoe for £50?
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

Used to run a bit when I was a teenager and decided that I’m going to give it a go again in the eves for half an hour or so now it’s not pissing with rain all the time. there’s some lovely paths along the coast right on my doorstep and a shame not to use ’em 😀

Got no ideas about running shoes really, it’s going to be pavements and light gravelly coastal paths. Can anyone point me to anything decent for £50ish? I’m a newbie so doesn’t have to be anything flash or technical. I suppose I could lose a bit of flab just by cutting down on the beer n cheese, but where’s the fun in that!

bowie278
    Free Member

Adidas Kanadia TR4. Absolutely awesome, I have the Gore-Tex version and love mine. Bloody steal as well at this place, £35!

http://www.sportsshoes.com/adidas-kanadia/

Kevevs
    Free Member

ah cool! cheers bowie278, I fit adidas size 9s like a glove, if a glove was for your feet, like a sock then..

brooess
    Free Member

I would go to a running shop and get yourself properly checked out re your running style. Shoes that fit bowie278 may not be right for you at all…

enduroforever
    Free Member

New balance mt 573’s are my fave running shoe. Designed for the trail but I use mine on the road too. Spend hundreds over the last few years finding the ‘right’ shoe and can’t fault these.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

What brooess said. A good shop will analyse your gait and recommend shoes that won’t spanner your ankles/knees/hips

Kevevs
    Free Member

I get that Brooess if you’re really into running. I’m just looking for a total beginner shoe, something I can just stick on my feet and go running like I did in my teens with my nike air maxs. But something comfy that won’t fall to bits straight away – that can be done for £50 surely? If I get really into it I don’t mind spending another 20 quid to go on the train to a proper running shop to do all that polava. Just wondered what people that think “oh, I’ll go for a run..” stick on their feet? and a good linky to any good discounts 😉 cheers all

brooess
    Free Member

The right running shoes don’t have to be expensive – some people fall into that trap but they basically have too much ££!
    The running shop will help you get the shoes that will stop you getting injured, that’s all… if anything’s going to stop you losing the flab it’ll be not being able to get out because you’ve got shin splints.
    Just tell the shop you’re working to a budget of £50. Any decent shop can do that…

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Agreed. I’m not a proper runner but when i started last year my shoes only cost £60 but I did at least get ones that accounted for my over-pronation which I had no idea I had until I was assessed.

It’s really worth being checked properly and you’re more likely to stick to the running if you’re comfortable and less prone to injury.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The running shop will help you get the shoes that will stop you getting injured, that’s all…

They will stop you getting injured running in the same was as going to a mountain bike shop, and buying the bike they recommend you will stop you getting injured mountain biking. 🙂

Agreed. I’m not a proper runner but when i started last year my shoes only cost £60 but I did at least get ones that accounted for my over-pronation which I had no idea I had until I was assessed.

I have a sneaky feeling that an awful lot of runners when starting, ‘over-pronate’ – it’s a visual symptom rather than a medical condition, and bearing in mind that there isn’t any evidence of what should be the correct pronation for a given individual it’s not as helpful as running stores would like people to believe. I think it’s often an indication of weak or under-recruited hip abductor muscles, rather than anything specific to the foot, and in such case the shoes aren’t curing it (assuming that there is anything to cure), they’re just masking the symptoms a bit.

Kevevs
    Free Member

hmm, and I just thought i could buy some decent trainers and go for a run! I’m taking all this into account guys it’s interesting stuff for a non-runner! Thanks. OK- My WHOLE budget including assesment and travel to some posh running shop is £50 including the shoes. from Llandudno North Wales. 50 whole pounds. That’s it. I’ve got a better idea now though. This is why stw is marvellous!

Northwind

I got a good result with Decathlon… They strapped me into a gait-measuring thing, which said “Get any shoe you want really”. Then they sold me the second cheapest shoe they had in stock.

Kevevs
    Free Member

when I was in London, decathlon was a first port. I don’t live near a decathlon anymore :(. but yeah, if I go for online, why not? what shoe did you get northwind? do you run much?

Northwind

Can’t remember, probably called something like ZXLONJIG.

I do very little running, it’s rubbish :mrgreen: But it’s good for my birdbones. And that’s why I was so impressed with Decathlon- I’d been in a couple of other shops and said “I know nothing, but my doctor says I should do some running because…” and they started showing me expensive shoes that’d be supportive and cushioning. Decathlon were the first place that kept listening while I said “… I’ve got osteoperosis and the impacts help encourage bone growth”- “Here, have this very uncushioned shoe!”

Kevevs
    Free Member

yeah! I Know it’s rubbish, why? do you think I am no not hugely bothered?

Carbis

The Adidas Kanadia is more of a trail running shoe and I found it lacked cushioning when compared with a mid range Asics neutral shoe for running on pavements. I have bought Asics running shoes for the last 15 years as I find they are reasonably light and comfortable. That said I’ve never gone above 20-25 miles per week so I’m not that serious.

Around work the running shoes used by the serious runners vary along personal preferences including Brooks, Asics, Adidas and New Balance. What you’ll prefer will depend on what best fits you and best suits your running gait.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I do a bit of running, I’ve had most of the major makes of running shoe and the best ones so far are Brookes Ghost.
    My first pair were New Balance, cost me about £40. I generally spend £40 to £60 on my trainers.
    Go online and check how to do a rough assessment of your own pronation.
    You can do it wit ha wet foot and a sheet of brown paper. Its rough yes, but it’ll at least give you a start when trainer shopping. 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

Thanks all. Some useful info here. Had no idea about pronation and that. Feel wide awake and want to go for a beach run! But no shoes

surfer
    Free Member

I wouldnt bother with the gait analysis thing and getting your “style” checked out by somebody with no qualifications, often little experience and almost certainly on the minimum wage is not really good advice IMO.

Ianmunro +1

And to add to what Ian said I have a good friend and training partner that does over pronate a lot. The only time he ever had a problem with it over the years was when somebody tried to correct it!
    Your body will compensate and adjust as long as you train sensibly and build up gradually.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

See come on STW and you can make the most simple of natural things ‘running’ into some black magic science. Must be some thing about the personality types of people that come here.

Most runners I know just get out and run, and try trainers on until they find ones that are comfy for them. For me Saucony fit well any I get them from Sportshoes for about £35

Mugboo

Second the Adidas Kanadia Gore Tex from Sportshoes. After a very painful attempt in some fairly minimal Merrells, I’ve had no pain in the Adidas. I am trying to stay off road at the mo and for this they are excellent.
    I also bought some Adidas Boston for once I’m ready for the road…

mindmap3
    Free Member

I agree with Funky. When I started running last year because I was a bit of a fatty, I bought some fairly basic trainers in the sale to replace a knackered old pair and they were fine.

Although I have now bought a slightly better pair because those ones got knackered and I’m doing more distance etc.

My only real bit of advice is to try on as many pairs as possible to make sure they fit well. I’ve got quite skinny feet so struggled with quite a few brands. In the end Asics fitted the best, so I bought a pair.

Good luck. You may find that you actually enjoy it. I used to hate running, but gradually I’ve begun to really like it…it’s free, easy to do and you don’t need to do too much to feel like you’ve had some exercise. I’m running the Silverstone half today and am excited about it

johndoh
    Free Member

In my experience the whole ‘running shop’ thing is crap. I trained hard and did the GNR in a pair I bought off the interweb. I then decided to treat myself to a ‘proper’ fitting (done at Up and Running) and the pair I got are uncomfortable and make my feet go numb.

Kevevs
    Free Member

did a bit of basic research-turns out i over pronate and i’ve got narrow feet. found some adidas supernova sequence 5 half price 37.50. just back from my first *ahem* “run”…cough…..wheeze.. proper comfy shoes tho 🙂

footflaps

Wet feet on a towel and you can see if you over pronate or not – no need for a running shop.

sparkyrhino

Silvershadows 😯 😀

Kevevs
    Free Member

that’s what i did footflaps 🙂 wet foot on a brown envelope

mikey74
    Free Member

Just buy some damn shoes off the internet and go running. If Adidas fit you, then get Adidas.

I took up running (primarily trail orientated, rather than road) a few months ago. I’ve found that Asics have fitted me pretty well so I bought some Gel Fuji Trainers, and they fit perfectly.

I do appreciate that gait isn’t really important off road as your foot rarely lands flat on the ground anyway.

barkm
    Free Member

funky: not a ‘stw thing’, it’s opinions shared on the internet. Personally I think that’s a good thing 🙂

As others have said, just run. Bit of trial and error with shoes, but do not get sucked into that running shop malarkey*

*My opinion

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Try some more miles trainers from start fitness- £25 and get good reviews with the fell running peeps

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What's a good newbie running/jogging shoe for £50?’ is closed to new replies.