Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What's a good, cheap, light sus fork?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Looking for a sus fork for my wife! My thoughts/criteria:

– She is light, so I don't want to put her off by making her bike too heavy, and would like the fork to be as light as possible

-I don't want to spend a lot as she is not as into biking as me

-She is unlikely to get involved in anything too hardcore, so I was thinking 80-100mm travel max would be fine

-Needs V-bosses

-Lockout a bonus

This is her only bike, mainly for recreational use. My initial thoughts were an air-sprung Tora, but they are not particularly light. I also considered a carbon-rigid, but thats a bit controversial.

Ideas?

Thanks!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

good, cheap, light – pick two im afraid.

poppa
    Free Member

I thought the quote was strong, cheap, light?

woody2000

Air Toras are really not that heavy, they'd be my choice. If you were going disk, then some Manitou R7s are v.light

funkynick

Try and pick up a pair of Marzocchi MX comps from the classifieds. I think they always had V-bosses, some come with lockout (ETA) and the really are fit and forget forks…

Not that incredibly light though, but certainly not heavy either.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

MX comps weigh a tonne!

Get some oldish SIDs, my GF runs around very happily on some '06 teams (in fact so have I for 6 months of this year).

poppa
    Free Member

I am tempted to replace my forks and give her my old ones – but they weigh a tonne so probably wouldn't be fair 😕

Thanks for the advice so far though guys…

stumpy01

2nd hand SIDs if you want cheap & lighter than Toras.

poppa
    Free Member

Hey people, I found this:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/forks-suspension/product/axon-rld-fork-09-34163

Has anyone tried one? Sounds quite good in terms of weight/price. Now to see if I can find one anywhere…

woody2000

No v-brake mounts though?

Might as well buy some Reba SLs from Merlin at £249 if you're considering that budget and don't need V mounts.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What's a good, cheap, light sus fork?’ is closed to new replies.