Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What's a good alround aliminium hardtail frame?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

Look to upgrade the frame on my shop bike to something that I can use to go too glentress and also dart about town on etc.

Currently have a GT ruckus onepointzero which I quite like, however if there’s something better that’s not too pricey I wouldn’t mind upgrading it.

Anyone got any suggestions on what’s a good all round aluminium frame, if you have any photo’s that would also be cool!

wwaswas

I’ve got an Orange Evo 8 I got from the classifieds. I’m now running a pair of Marz 44 Micro Ti’s at 120mm on it and it’s pretty good. Rest of the kits the same though. Probably a bit bling for leaving outside the pub on a regular basis, though.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Get thee over to the kinesis website and have a look at maxlights

edd

XC orientated, Orange Elite frame, £549.99.
    http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/elite_frame/

Fun orientated, Orange Crush frame, £349.99.
    http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/crush_frame/

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Chameleon’s look good. Get one of those!

khani
    Free Member

Merlin malt 2???
    Extra £15 off at checkout as well…

_tom_
    Free Member

Never ridden one but those Chumba hardtails look well nice.

kaesae
    Free Member

Some good frames, like the thought of a chameleon or the kinesis, orange looks OK too, if a bit ugly!

Mackem

My Chumba HX1 is great. Cheap too.

Gachet
    Free Member

Cove Stiffee, currently almost half price from Chain Reaction:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=80607

If the 17.5″ fits, I’d definately go for that. I’ve had one since last August built up with 130mm forks and fairly light but strong parts and it’s easily the best alloy hardtail I’ve ridden. Lightish, very responsive, climbs fine and is a great descender with the slack head angle. They’re not as harsh a ride as some people make out, although I run a 2.3″ tyre and plenty of seatpost showing.

Taff
    Free Member

Kinesis?

messiah
    Free Member

Mmmbop, ugly as sin but oh so capable.

binners

Santa Cruz Chameleons are pure, grin-inducing, hooligan-esque fun!! You’ll feel like you’ve been gang raped if you ride it all day, but hey ho!

You’ll still be smiling while nursing your battered arse!

smiff
    Free Member

Whyte 19?
    http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/bike_page.php?ModNo=W-1-010-12

wow the price.. i got an old one very much cheaper than that. new ones are slacker, probably (even) more fun, and stronger. mine’s scary light, feels like a coke can.

Clobber
    Free Member

Chumba HX1 here too. Very cheap at the moment.
    Great service from Si at Progressive

The frame is really nicely made and finished. Surprisingly compliant ride for a hardtail, never mind an Aluminium one, but also stiff where it needs to be. I also think it looks fantastic.

I keep thinking I should just keep to 29er like my other bikes but I can’t bring myself to part with it…

bongo136
    Free Member

you need a Kinesis Maxlight!

kaesae
    Free Member

Always liked the look of the Stiffee’s and the chameleons, will look into the others later on.

crush83
    Free Member

+1 for orange crush!

kaesae
    Free Member

What kind of fork travel are the frames, is the stiffee a long travel fork say 150mm and will it run with 120 to 140mm forks?

The forks I have are 110mm to 140mm?

Clobber
    Free Member

HX1 is good with 140mm

brakes
    Free Member

Kinesis are underrated in my opinion.
    UK designed too if that makes a difference to you.

matt500
    Free Member

You need a stiffee! A green one, probably 15.5″ with a hope headset would be ideal!

yossarian
    Free Member

Sinister Ridge
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Cove stiffee

Hadge
    Free Member

Cove Stiffee! Here’s mine which will look a little different soon. It’s currently running some Pikes which I’d like to change and the wheels are also going.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What's a good alround aliminium hardtail frame?’ is closed to new replies.