Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • whats a fair fair time to wait for replacement frame
  • mikey3
    Free Member

Hi folks ,bought a hardtail off a wellknown online retailer ,had it 2 months ,noticed a large crack in frame, sent it back on june 22 still waiting for something to be sorted out(they had to send it back to the makers).Is this a normal time to wait .
    Contacted the shop twice so far,they just keep saying they will try to speed it up .would,nt mind if i had another bike but that was my only one.some of you guys must have broken a frame or two,is this a normal time to wait ,or should i start getting a bit more pushy with them thanks

higgo
    Free Member

1) They didn't have to send it back to the makers. Your warranty is with the shop. They don't need the manufacturers permission to refund/replace. They hide behind this.

2) Nearly two months is way too long. In fact you will soon have been without the bike for as long as you had it.

Phone them up. Tell them when you expect your refund/replacement by. If it not forthcoming, get Trading Standards involved.

fubar
    Free Member

going to depend on the frame…Trek / Marin / Specialized I've heard a week or two …or (I'll have a guess) its a Commencal I've read on here (I think?) people waiting a month or two…

mikey3
    Free Member

no its a merlin malt 4,bit dissapointed with the way they are dealing with it to be honest,never heard a bad word against them before ,only time they,ve contacted me is when i,ve contacted them,feels like they want me to just forget about it and go away.

Smee
    Free Member

Considering they are their own brand frames this is shoddy treatment. If of course you are telling us the whole story.

Oggles
    Free Member

Get pushy. 2 months is an unimaginable time to be without a bike!

Whatever the outcome of it being sent back to the manufacturer, they still need to supply you with a new frame. (unless, for example, you ran over it with a car) It doesn't take that long to see that a frame was broken because of manufacturing problems.

roblerner
    Free Member

stupid question – why not mention the name of the retailer?

If it's one of the ones who patrol on here they might help faster, and if not then others will know of their slow speed and general slackness..!

It's not like they can sue you, is it?

uplink
    Free Member

I think the clue is in the frame name roblerner

🙂

fubar
    Free Member

funny 'cos as I was going to guess that shop too (as they supply Commencal also)…I think they are shoddy (and it sounds shoddy!)
    Some people on here sound to do well with them (I wonder if they have they tried returning faulty stuff?)…my (one)experience is they refer returns back to the manufacturer / distributor and make you wait weeks instead of,as other shops have done for me, making their own assesment and exchange on the spot when there is a problem.

mikey3
    Free Member

What do you mean the full story,i bought the bike rode it came back from a ride ,washing the bike noticed the crack(on the right hand chainstay tube at a place where it could,nt have taken a direct hit without first hitting the chainrings)only ridden it up afan and then the biggest drop off i did was about eight inches .i,ve been riding a bike a while so i know what would be unreasonable riding on the bike i bought.
    I suppose i just bought one with a flaw ,doe,snt help me though,the summer is ticking by and i,m still bileless.

Spongebob
    Free Member

roblerner – Member

stupid question – why not mention the name of the retailer?

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk!

mikey3
    Free Member

that should be bikeless by the way ,bile i have plenty of!!!

roblerner
    Free Member

I think the clue is in the frame name roblerner

Didn't spot that. Oops.

Point still stands, some people seem reluctant to name and shame – as if something terrible might happen to them if they do.

zaskar
    Free Member

Call trading stds?

fubar
    Free Member

Did you pay by credit-card ?…If so how about contacting the credit card to pursue a full refund ? It might be time to put something in writing to them anyhow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘whats a fair fair time to wait for replacement frame’ is closed to new replies.