• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by wors.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What's a decent amateur video camera?
  • sharkattack

I’m thinking about a cheapish video camera for playing with at events. We (girlfriend and I) are always at motorsport or mountain bike events so it would definitely get used and not be a dusty ornament. She wants something to play with while I’m using the SLR but she has zero experience. I understand photography but I’ve never even looked at video cameras before. I’ve got editing software that I’m dying for an excuse to use.

I’m thinking £400 max spend. What features do I need? What gimmicks should I avoid?

A quick glance shows they’re using 4K as a selling point and I’m not convinced I need it. Footage will be mainly shared online. Why would I need wi-fi? Most things seem to have it. I have Canon SLR’s, any reason to stick with the brand or should I look at Panasonic etc?

Does anyone have any examples of anything they’ve shot that they can share?

Oh, and with my SLR I shoot RAW for the control you have over the file afterwards. I know shooting RAW video takes up millions of GB’s but is there a way to have similar control over the look of the footage afterwards? In terms of contrast, saturation etc… Home video always looks a little flat and ‘You’ve been Framed’ ish. How do they make it look vivid and dramatic?

I get the feeling this might be a can of worms, but fire away.

Thanks

grum
    Free Member

Depends how nerdy you want to get with it and whether you might in future want to spend money on extra lenses, kit etc – or do you just want a reasonable all-in-one solution?

sharkattack

All in one! I want to keep it simple and enjoyable. Just something me and the Mrs. can mess around with together. Obviously I just want the footage to be of a certain standard. I’d rather have decent quality than lowest price.

But I don’t want it to become the new photography. I can’t afford another hobby like that.

hammyuk
    Free Member

One thats small enough to hide on the top of the wardrobe and doesn’t have a flashing red light on the front…..

grum
    Free Member

Ah I can only help with the geeky side, sorry!

mrsfry
    Free Member

Canon Dslr with flip screen. Get a Rode with a deadcat and lights and you are ready to go. See YT

CraigW
    Free Member

Panasonic Lumix G7. With the cashback offers, you can get it for just over £400. Probably better video quality than most Canon DSLRs, it can do 4K etc. And it has a swivel screen, and wifi.
    I think wifi is useful if you want to download photos/videos to your phone, ie it allows you to upload to Facebook/Youtube etc, without plugging into a computer. Also can use your phone as a remote control.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Trouble is with the g7 you’ll then need to add a lens or two before it’ll have the range of a cheap video camera.

I’d stick to an actual video camera, or get another canon body and share lenses. You have to be keen to do video on a dslr though.

sharkattack

I’d stick to an actual video camera

That’s the plan

You have to be keen to do video on a dslr though.

Exactly!

hammyuk
    Free Member

I might be putting both my Sony video cameras in the classifieds over the next few days though thinking about it.
    Going as a pair as can’t be arsed to split it all up.

sadexpunk

is mini-DV still current? ive got a panasonic that id let go for next to nothing? bought new a good few years ago and never really used it much. just gathering dust now. no idea if its useful or not these days.

badllama
    Free Member

Why don’t you get her a cheap Canon 550D with a couple of half decent lenses.

Full Video camera wise it’s big money for anything that will give you the “look” (shallow depth of field). DV camera have too small a sensor so pretty much everything is in focus , giving you that “video look”.

For control of the footage learn this
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve
    It’s great! and free! 🙂

Very powerful software.Basically you shoot flat for as much latitude as you can get in camera, then bring it all back with the software

I personally shot all sorts of video and still camera over the years (GH4 currently) they all have their good and bad points.
    Just remember things get very expensive if you decide to change formats / manufactures after investing in glass etc.. Says the former Canon user of over 25 years. 🙄

sharkattack

Thanks for the tips on that Blackmagic software that looks like exactly what I was after.

Still not really interested in shooting with a DSLR. I’ve had a 7D for years and shooting video with it is just too much of an undertaking. Add in the rig, the microphone etc.. and they’re still crap for keeping track of action. Not really after arty farty DOF shots of raindrops on leaves and stuff. I need something that will focus on motocross bikes and rallycross cars. I want something dedicated and capable with much less faff.

I like the look of this- Canon HF G25

Good reviews online and on Youtube. I’ve already blown the budget but it is reduced by a hundred quid. Looks pretty basic but satisfies my desire for manual control and a few accessories down the line.

badllama
    Free Member

Hi sharkattack that would be ideal for a first timer but do her and yourself a favor and get a decent-ish video tripod to go with it

E.G this is a nice beginners one
    http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/96398/Show.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&utm_term=DV-7000N%20Video%20Tripod&gclid=CPrq1J2d4ckCFeoJwwodYigDdw

I’ve actually used these and just put a Manfrotto 501 head on it in the past 🙂

sharkattack

Already got almost the exact same tripod so it will definitely be put into service. Loads of options for mini grips and rigs that I like the look of. I think this is the one, I need to do some pre Xmas mathematics.

sharkattack

Quick bump just to see if anyone new is in tonight. Already got a list of events that I want to shoot!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Very powerful software.Basically you shoot flat for as much latitude as you can get in camera, then bring it all back with the software

you are always going to be 4:2:0 8bit with a cheap video camera/dslr and low dynamic range. if it’s not in the file you cant magically put it there. sure you can shoot raw with a magic lantern hack but watch those cards fill up!

wors

If you want one for playing about with, I have a JVC everio hard disc camcorder going cheap…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What's a decent amateur video camera?’ is closed to new replies.