Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What's a cheap road/cross/tourer frame w rack mounts + disc brakes?
  • grumm
    Free Member

I’ve finally realised after much faffing with setup that my Kaffenback is too long for me. I could just get a smaller one, but I’m sick of faffing with canti or mini V brakes.

What’s sort of similar to a kaffenback, ie tough-ish and can take slightly bigger tyres and has rack mounts, but with disc mounts too?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Budget? VN Amazon ticks most of your boxes, at a price…..

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

the new on-one pomp…..thingy, not sure about fitting a rear mech though,

or a singular peregrine like mine, but more money though

grumm
    Free Member

Looks ace but I did say ‘cheap’ in the thread title. Something like that but less than £300 please 😉

Do such things exist?

Singular looks good also ta, but possibly a bit spendy unless I can find one s/h.

simon_g

Genesis Croix de Fer does that at a grand – few 2010 models still about at a discount, steel too.

Kona Dew Drop is a cheaper alternative in alu, although buy now as it seems to have been dropped from their 2011 lineup.

wors

Subway 2

Mister-P
    Free Member

The Croix De Fer will be available as a frame and fork only option in a couple of weekes. Frame is £279.99 and fork is £59.99

warpcow
    Free Member

German shop Ciclib used to do this one as a frame only, but I can’t seem to find it now. Might be worth asking. It was around 200 Euros iirc.

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Subway looks good but need frame only.

Croix de Fer frame and forks sounds like it could be a winner.

grumm
    Free Member

How about a Cotic Roadrat? Seems to tick the boxes?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Kinesis Decade? disc mount on the chainstay too

chriswilk
    Free Member

just ordered a dew drop – 665 for full bike. Kona seem to have plenty of 2010 models left. Maybe that’s why it’s been dropped for 2011.
    Could be got cheaper elsewhere, seen them at 500 (mine is c2w so full rrp)

Worth it for frame, forks and bb7 disks.

packer
    Free Member

The Croix De Fer will be available as a frame and fork only option in a couple of weekes. Frame is £279.99 and fork is £59.99

Is this definitely true? The new Genesis website just went live but there is no mention of it on there. Hope so!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yes it is true, current expected date into Genesis HQ is 5th October.

the00
    Free Member

Interested in selling the Fakkenback? What size?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Uncle John?

You’ll need to find a fork though. It has rack mounts if you can’t make them out in the pic.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

+1 for the Cotic Roadrat. Within budget for frame and fork package. Some folk will tell you the fork is harsh, can’t say I’ve noticed it myself but I ride rigid 90% of the time anyway.

All the fittings and gubbins you could possibly need. Loads of tyre clearance (will even work with 26″ wheels). Absolute hoot to ride too.

Probably not best suited to heavy touring though.

MrTall
    Free Member

I just picked up a Salsa Fargo for £390 Frame & forks. As the replacement model is about to be released, there are some cheaper ones going in the States (i saw a site with them at £252). Duty would not be too bad on that, don’t know about postage though.

I got mine at the LBS though before i saw the US sites.

carlosg
    Free Member

I’ve got a disc specific Spesh crosstrail expert sat in the attic doing nowt.If your interested? 17″ centre to centre , 22″ TT with rack mounts on the frame, there’s a set of RST vogue forks on it. I was going to build it for myself but impending childbirth has put the kybosh on that 🙁 + 😀 . The guy I bought it from was running 45mm tyres on it.

Email in profile if your interested/want pics.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What's a cheap road/cross/tourer frame w rack mounts + disc brakes?’ is closed to new replies.