Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What…….loctite?
  • Killer
    Free Member

I,ve never really used loctite on the bike before as I’ve never really felt the need. But i,ve been mhsving some issues with some of the brake bolts, frame bearings etc so I thought some loctite would do the job.

However, I got confused very quickly when I realised there are so many types of loctite, 242, 243, red, blue and so on.

I can’t believe I’ve been outwitted by glue! and I’m supposedly a professional engineer. Clearly not a good one.

So can anybody please help and explain what the different types of loctite are for? Should some be used on some equipment/materials but not odthers?

lipseal
    Free Member

Some are stronger than others. In other words you have anything from flour n paste to super glue. HTH

Moda
    Free Member

I used to use 242 now use the 248 purely as its like a soft wax and easier to apply

glupton1976
    Free Member

Blue.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I favour 222. Never had it come undone and I can break it with hand tools and not too much force.

ruscle
    Free Member

Different torque ratings to free up bolts. Just use the 222 on everything as requires 5 nm to free up bolts and your only using it to stop bolts vibrating loose, anything else is over kill.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I like 243, it’s medium high strength compound that can (and I find this important) tolerate some oil/grease contamination. I use it on even the smallest fastenings that require it, and haven’t found it too strong come fixing removal time.

Dibbs
    Free Member

243 works for me.

smiff
    Free Member

never knew loctite had strengths in Nm. fascinating stuff.

on a related note my front brake almost fell off today, only noticed cos i was checking for headset knocks. oopsie. don’t rely on the pre-creamed bolts!

HermanShake
    Free Member

I just use the pritt-stick style Loctite, seems fine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What…….loctite?’ is closed to new replies.