Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 227 total)
  • Whatever happpened to Tim Gould?
  • cooie

who was that chick who had long hair tied in a plait down her back (and a smashing bottom)?

Adele Croxon, now Mrs Croxon Peat?

LS
    Free Member

I seem to recall the cycling coverage in the Matlock Mercury over the winter mentioned some “Goulds” in the junior events – presumably the next part of the dynasty coming through…..

Tim’s and Julian’s (Tim’s brother) kids race cyclocross fairly regularly throughout the winter.

Tim Davies was at Mayhem last year and did at least one lap on a Ti-Mega 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

I take it you don’t have a telly then qwerty?

Izzat Sharki wiv hair n specs, innit?

Ladders
    Free Member

I loved Caroline Alexander so much I did a painting of her for my A-level art course! 😳 Still hanging in my mum and dads hallway!

Found an old cycling weekly from 92 and was weird to see a whole race report for an XC race with pic’s of Tim Gould, David Baker, Chris Young and Caroline.

rootes1

I loved Caroline Alexander so much I did a painting of her for my A-level art course! Still hanging in my mum and dads hallway!

ace.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

I wish I still had this mag…I even remember the sub 20lb bike they built

Edit: Holy crap!!! 20 years ago!!!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I remember one of the first races that Tim Gould and David Baker turned up to near Peebles. We were just random riders. They turned up in skin suits and utterly thrashed everyone. Racing changed forever that day.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

I wrote to Caroline Alexander (via MBI)when I was about 14-15 asking what she thought of her Girvin suspension forks, she actually replied with a really lovely letter, I think that’s a sign of a pretty cool pro.

I also spoke to Scott Dommett at the Strathpeffer world cup in 1992, my dad got chatting to him and Scott came over to say hello to me.

My dad always wondered if Dave Hemming was the son of his best friend when he was a child, as Dave looked so like his friend and would have been about the right age. Unlikely and never got to meet Dave to find out but always wondered.

I am realising I was, still am, a real geek!

crazy-legs

I wish I still had this mag…I even remember the sub 20lb bike they built

Rock Shox Mag 21 Ti forks on a Raleigh DynaTech. Top end drool in 1992! MBi was a great mag when it was all about the racing scene. Then it went all DH (let’s go to the Alps and test another £8000 DH bike!) and became bollocks and even a relaunch and new editor couldn’t save it after that. 🙁

Scott Dommett is apparently in the process of renovating a house in the Peak District – bit of a handyman by all accounts. Doesn’t really ride much anymore.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Yeah it’s a shame MBI went all wrong, was a mountain bike magazine that really focused on racing.

scotty38
    Free Member

I’ll try again, given it’s been missed 🙂 – what about Stuart Marshall?

rocketman
    Free Member

There Was also Gary Ford who rode I think for Scott at the time

Gary used to live not far from me in Acton Trussell and now owns a couple of bike shops in Stafford. His daughter and my son are friends at school.

I’ve personally been forced into the gutter on several occasions by his huge 4×4 (ayup Gary 🙂 )

scruzer
    Free Member

Surprised noone has mentioned Karen Van Meerbeck…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

voodoo_chile

Tim gould rode the world hilclimb champs at mammoth and won it on his peugeot

It was a Chas Roberts painted up as Peugot wasn’t it?

scruff
    Free Member

Dave Smith-

used to ride for Kona and went on to do some magazine / publishing work on fitness/ training. He never comes on here and whines about deleting files or eating bread. 🙄

alex222
    Free Member

What about Sarah Jorgenson. She was/is well tidy

nick3216
    Free Member

Surprised noone has mentioned Karen Van Meerbeck…

Karen Van Bareback

Goes for a long hard think

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hans “no way” Ray still rides for GT No?? and Tinker Juarez still rocks for Cannondale no??

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Hans “no way” Ray still rides for GT No?? and Tinker Juarez still rocks for Cannondale no??

Yes and yes

kerv
    Free Member

@fuzzywuzzy. I crashed at the bomb-hole too, even managed to get on the official video! That was my 3 seconds of fame over and done with. 😀

colonelwax
    Free Member

I *think* my mum bought me a pair of trousers from a shop in Sheffield where Karen Van Meerbeck was working.

Vaguely remember trying to look cool. Doesn’t work when your Mum is buying you clothes.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

great thread… glad to see a where are they now for some of the american superstars as well as the brits. Add Deadly Ned.

i road with McRoy with my uni mtb club out of newcastle once and he was a chilled guy and fast XC man. great shame what happended and look up his kamikazee run on youtube.

i also have a photo somewhere of one of the peugeot riders lying in the water crossing at Hamsterley when he fell off. Fab. Might have been Gould. not sure.

happy days.

shaggy

I’ll fill in a few I know:
    Earthquake Jake died is a crash a few years back.
    Julie Furtardo works for Santa Cruz bikes.
    Jamie Hibbard is at Top Gear mag.
    Dave Wiens is still racing. He won the Ledville hundred a bunch of times before Lance turned up.
    Ned Overend is still racing and working for Spesh. ( Hopefully he has seen Spinal Tap now, eh Nick?!)
    Thomas Frischknecht works for Scott-Swiss power

Insane Wayne Crosdale???

Pigface
    Free Member

Didnt Tim Gould have some depression issues? He once said his fave band were Husker Du which made him alright as far as I was concerned.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Pigface – Member
    Didnt Tim Gould have some depression issues?

Yeah, in his words he “went a bit mad, pulled the joker in the pack” , I think it’s save to say the only pro to podium in a world cup race heavily sedated!

nick3216
    Free Member

Tinker Juarez still rocks for Cannondale no??

Steve would still like his pump back.

walleater

LOL Scruff (good morning)

Is Mick Ives still winning all the vet races?

racefaceec90

anyone remember a guy called dave wonderly (?) he rode for gt back in the 80’s/90’s.
    i always thought he looked cool as (he seemed to ride wearing welding gloves.
    also seriously love the gt bikes from that era i always wanted a ball burnished zaskar.
    i did have a quick go on a gt karakoram (the orange splatter paint job one) it was lovely (but alas i couldn’t afford one 🙁 just like this one in fact 😉

nick3216
    Free Member

Those paint splattered GTs weighed a ton before you started adding suspension forks and mechanical disk brakes.

brant
    Free Member

Those paint splattered GTs weighed a ton before you started adding suspension forks and mechanical disk brakes.

But if you raced in clogs, it didn’t really matter.

voodoo_chile

I always wanted tomac’s raleigh special products bike which if memory serves me right was a control tech prototype with tioga disc drive back wheel , look at the bike now it’s angles still seem relevant …great bike

nickdt
    Free Member

Paola Pezzo. Did some ads for Northwave or some such. There was also that other female racer of the same vintage who used to wear short shorts and cut away tops. Ding dong.

nickdt
    Free Member

Oh, and didn’t Mike Kluge set up Focus bikes. Bumped into him in Lake Maggiore in Italy ten or so years ago.

DickBarton

I remember Mike Kluge taking a wee strop when he came to race in Scotland – think it was at Strathpeffer…it was a wet day and he decided to protest at the conditions. The interview he gave was a total prima donna-esque affair telling the camera that MTB racers were professionals and shouldn’t be expected to race in such wet conditions as they had careers to consider…I think he might have been told to race but in his protest he got about 5m from the finish line, dismounted and walked across carrying his bike.

Strangely as I watched that race, he was the only one that seemed to be properly complaining about the weather and conditions…he needed to seriously harden up!

transapp
    Free Member

I thought that was Thomas Fishnets? He won the world cup event but carried over the line?

Anywho, loving this thread, proper memory lane!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I remember reading a mag back in the day where a girl was standing by a Yeti ARC and she was still attending school whilst racing mtbs for Yeti, was that Julia Furtardo I wonder..??

She looked rather good back then if I remember correctly.

DickBarton

Don’t think it was Thomas…this would have been 92/93 – I’m sure it was the last year the World MTB series was sponsored by Grundig and was at Strathpeffer…I don’t think Thomas was on the same scene that long ago…think Frishi started appearing around 98-ish?

walleater

Frischnecht has been around forever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Frischknecht

Kuco

Anyone remember the young French rider I think she was called Nathalie ségura. Remember her being on one of the front covers of a magazine, very nice looking.

oldgit
    Free Member

Is Mick Ives still winning all the vet races?

Not seen him this year…yet.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 227 total)

The topic ‘Whatever happpened to Tim Gould?’ is closed to new replies.