• This topic has 77 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by srrc.
Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Whatever happened to windsurfing?
  • catvet
    Free Member

Still sail with Farrel usually in the 'Soch

Tracey

Also sailed at Pugneys. I can remember climbing over the fence and sailing befor the council took over. Police came a few times but we just dropped the sails in the middle and eventually they would leave.

Tracey

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I used to windsurf at Pugneys! ah those were the days!

Now on south coast and kitesurfed most evenings in the summer.

Windsurfing is still awesome, the portability, light wind potential and big jumps made me switch to kiting. Anyone who thinks windsurfing is dead should head to shoreham beach on a windy day.

headfirst
    Free Member

My fave board was my f2 sunset slalom, which now hangs proudly from my garage rafters, cant bear to throw it out. My current ride is a mistral flow 284 which i sailed fror the first time in about five years three weeks ago, having been to egypt and re-discovered the love, having flirted with kitesurfing. When you've got a decent breeze windsurfing is definitely more fun and challenging than kitesurfing. The cost of kit is rather prohibitive though – my board looks 'all wrong' compared to new ones and my most used sail, my trusty 5.7, is over 15 years old! Its like playing tennis with a wooden racket, its embarrassing to turn up to my local spot with! Oh well, needs must.

BigJohn

You should've been here yesterday!

coffeeking
    Free Member
    gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

windsurfing is a classic example of a sport that shot itself in the foot by becoming to performance orientated.

headfirst
    Free Member

Oi!! Coffeeking get over there on to the kitesurfing thread!

BigJohn: I've heard those words in England, Ireland, Wales, the Canaries and many parts of France, (including Leucate/Gruissan which must have the most wind turbines of anywhere in the world). 🙁

hoodoo
    Free Member

Half expecting rightplacerighttime (hi Jon) to relate some of his tales as a windsurfing instructor in Poole during the 90's

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We used to get loads of windsurfers turning up to use OUR lake. 😉
    It seemed to almost totally die off about 10-12 years ago, we hardly ever see any now. I wasn't sure if it had died a death pretty much altogether or whether people had just stopped windsurfing on lakes because it wasn't that much fun.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Oi!! Coffeeking get over there on to the kitesurfing thread!

I'm omnipresent 😉

slowjo
    Free Member

I think I started with a HiFly 370, moved "up" to A Fanatic 370, A Tiga Sprint (320) which got moved on v fast, Bic Rock n Roll, Bic Astro Rock, F2 Sunset Slalom, F2 Lightening World Cup Race, F2 Bullit, Mistral Stinger (many of these at the same time but never less than 2 at once) with sails through from 4.2 to 8.5m. At 15 stone the Stinger was interesting to sail if the wind dropped…. stuck out in the North Sea on a sinker ain't much fun! Anyway, it picked up to a 4 and I limped in.

I have still got the Sunset Slalom and a custom Second Skin steamer (winter) and a harness but otherwise it has all gone.

Agree with the wind comments…. it got to the stage where if it wasn't 4 gusting 5 and up I wasn't happy. I tried the race board and a big sail but it wasn't the same. To increase light wind performance I had a quiver of fins and it all got terribly anal….which board, which sail, which fin? Then I'd come in and switch it around to make up for my skill deficit and so it went on.

I miss it but not the interminable waiting around for the wind to blow.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I miss it but not the interminable waiting around for the wind to blow.

that's what riding bikes is for!

singletrackmind

I windsurf alot. I own 5 boards and 6 sails which get me out between 10 knots and 40 knots. I made a decision to move to teh coast 5 years ago and have never regretted it. I can be on the water within 15 mins of pulling in to the drive. There are dozens of locals who live within a few miles of me who sail as well. Its getting expensive to but ew kit, but very good quality second hand kit , plus discounted 'last years' colours are available.
    I love it, the boy ish excitment as i get near to home and the flags are all extended and the trees dancing gets me going , so i drive really badly to save the 9 seconds to get to the beach quicker , then its the what board /sail combo today shall i rig, Ezzy on Supercross or Combat on FSW? Get it wrong and its fustrating , get it right and its an almost trance enducing euphoric state.
    Modern kit ( less than 10 years old) is so forgiving , as long as its rigged properly, the boards are light and the free ride sails easy to rig and go light in the hands once on the moove. Modern freestyle boards ( mines an F2 CompStlye 258) are so wide and easy to get going the learning curve is much steeper.
    Yes I love my bikes , but i love my boards more.

hitman
    Free Member

perhaps I should have taken it up as a career
    first time on a board at 15 I stood up sailed alo9ng turned the sail and came back – instructor was amazed
    about 3rd or 4th time on a board I tried water starting and got it – by then I was surfing – still my first and deepest love 🙂

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Pretty cool responses..! This kinda gives me the yearning to get back into it one day.

When everything was going right, it really was a euphoric experience, skipping over the water and jumping over waves..

Fav board: Mistral Screamer

I saw a newer looking one on eBay the other day in really good condition – it went for about all of 95 quid – complete with rig!

ps44
    Free Member

Interesting. It's funny how much MTB chat there is on the Boards forum. The sports are quite compatible and seem to attract the same sort of people, and there is a real youth swell now with a lot of effort going into training and racing. And it's another sport where the Brits are among the world elite but you hear nothing about it in the MSM.
    If it's windy I windsurf, if it isn't (<F4) I bike. Simple. On average I sail at least once a week all year round. At the main spot I sail there are hundreds of active sailors, and I'd expect to see 50-100 tomorrow.
    Windsurfing is alive and well, and done by real enthusiasts rather than fashionistas who are mostly dangling off kites this week.
    And guess what we'll be doing tomorrow while there's a load of wingeing about how nasty it is biking when it's windy 🙂

Toombsy
    Free Member

Last time I sailed was Sept 1999 – rigging up on beach with my smallest sail, pulling on the downhaul and mast went straight through the top of sail – gutted.
    I can still remember that magical sound of the water chattering on the board when blasting about.
    You are right though – its a lot of faffing about.
    I am going to be in day dream mode all day now!

purser_mark
    Free Member

Wow, how many guys on here are veteran windsurfers? I guess it must be an age thing?
    I have fond memories of my Bic Electric rock, for it's time it was super quick and super light, ace for popping airs and real nice to carve gybe, even duck gybe ocasionally. I guess that was around 1988?

Thinking back the first time I ever saw a mountain bike was when the guy form the local windsurfing shop turned up with one in the back of his van. He started riding around the small hills by the car park because, as usual, there was no wind.

I remember thinking, yeah that will never catch on, rich boyz toyz. I now ride a Santa Cruz Blur?!

In fact it just shows how times have changed. I had two local windsurfing shops, and lived in Nottingham, 150 miles form the coast. I wonder what those guys are doing now?

It sounds to me a few people on hear would benefit from a trip to Egypt and a weeks kitesurfing. Those memories can be re lived, except in 25 degree water and crystal lagoons, instead of 5mm of neoprene.

Egypt is amazing and can easliy be done a budget. I can't recommend it enough for the windsurfing / kiting (but the food is lousy).

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

I had two local shops in nottingham

I can tell you what the guys from windsports are up to.

brack
    Free Member

[/i]Wow, how many guys on here are veteran windsurfers? I guess it must be an age thing?

Easy matey there are still a bloody lot of people who STILL do it….

🙄

catvet
    Free Member

Although I still sail, the phase "you should have been here 2 hours/days ago" does not apply to hills and trails as they remain the same shape /size irrespective!! A distinct bonus!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I know the editor of Windsurf magazine, I went to uni with her and did a fair number of windsurfing events with her – she's still fairly heavily into it, obviously, and only ~26ish IIRC. It's not an oldies sport 🙂

ps44
    Free Member

btw, one thing that is really different now is the quality and availability of weather forcasts, and the number of real time weather sites online. Wasted trips to the beach are (almost) a thing of the past.
    And the new learner kit makes the sport more accessible than it has ever been.

coffeeking
    Free Member

ps44 – not sure I'd agree on that at all, you really have to know how the sites vary at your spot. XC and metcheck are feckign useless. They generally get the direction about right but speed is still a joke.

cove123

did it up to basic instructor level, after leaning to sail on Loch Tay mid 80's, stopped after awhile mainly due to time, wind and set up time.

would love to do it again maybe on a summer hols!!!

parents just got rid of my Jet 320 board, sails are still in garage rafters…

local dentist has a Tushingham cartoon poster on ceiling thats always good to look at…

ps44
    Free Member

coffeeking – of course you have to know how local conditions affect the meta picture, but the fact is that the data is all there for you to interpret, including forecasts from all the main models.
    Anyway, it's ride the board on saturday and ride the bike on sunday – predicted with a high degree on confidence 😆

Pete-B
    Free Member

I still windsurf – in fact looking forward to going tomorrow.
    After taking up mountainbiking in 1990 (after an article about it in 'Boards' magazine) a couple of years later I gave up windsurfing in preference.
    In those days I had more family & work comittments, weather forecasting wasn't so easy and as I only got my rocks off at the coast found mtbing more convenient living in the heart of the country.
    Some years later I re-started windsurfing as a 'thing to do occasionally' – until the bug bit deeper of course.
    I now still do both, I find them quite complementary even as a weekender.
    September saw me windsurfing at several coastal venues as well as Rutland & I rode High Street & Grizedale, Cumbria, as well as local trails on my Wolf Ridge.
    On a good day windsurfing equates to riding your fave st & descents without the climbs and injury risk.
    And although the sport is far more at the mercy of weather windsurfing kit is long lasting and barring accidents virtually maintenance free – contrast that to parts attrition and hours of cleaning/servicing from winter riding in the Peak District.

I think one thing that's happened is windurfers are not only fewer but more likely to congregate at better spots rather than be highly visible in day-glo wetsuits at every pond & beach. They're more discerning and able to be so due to advances in IT.

But each to their own – and for me I consider myself lucky to enjoy both 🙂
    (My dark secret is that I also ride a ghey Cannondale road bike, a man's got to have an excuse to get into Lycra)

epicyclo

My observations from my surfski were that most windsurfers did 50 yards, splot, crawl back, fight sail, splot, repeat ad nausea, then 50 yards, splot, etc. That's probably why it died.

The good guys are brilliant though. Looks like too much learning curve. Give me a surfski anyday.

Wally

Hifly 300 still comes out every so often.

Pete-B
    Free Member

epicyclo,
    It hasn't died. Contracted, yes.
    The days of whole families being out on plastic nasties on calm sunny days are no more, but there's still quite a following.
    And while the general skill level is much higher than a couple of decades ago so the kit is much improved.
    Learning kit is much improved – now rather than go out, drop the sail, fall in & then expend great effort getting back on board & hauling the sail up again nowadays you'll likely stay on board & the rig is lighter to pull up.

Having said that it's still quite a hard sport to go from beginner to getting the buzz of blasting across water – whereas anybody can punch buttons on a joypad in their armchair and almost anybody can go 'whee' on a bike – so the early stages are more suited to people with the character to gain satisfaction from achieving small success's on their way to their longer term goals.
    And the sport is always like that – no matter what level you reach there's always more to achieve so not only can you get the buzz from just simple 'groove riding' (blasting across water, turning, blasting back) there are always challenges and rewards beyond.

But either you get it or you don't – and for me the first sight of white water will give an adrenalin kick.

I'd better drop the subject now as I'm coming across as a bit of a zealot 😯

Hope you all have a good ride this weekend and get back reasonably unscathed.

Windsurfer
    Free Member

Good to see you bikers do talk about a good sport now and then. Windsurfing perhaps doesn

e

s/ 90

b

s and get some new kit (Windsurfing). (Have a look on Starboard Open Forum; guest dont have to register)
    Suspect sport has become more regional and has tended to drift towards sea venues but any folk who doubt its still healthy have a look at Le Defi (Southern France)or any wave venue here in uk.(Fraisthorpe as mentioned is still attracting perhaps 100 sailors on a good day)Also suspect sport has become a bit more like skiing (snow) with people going abroad to participate. (Again have a look at Dahab; Egypt. Sotavento or Club Vass) This month sees UK wave championship in Tiree.
    Windsurfing hasn`t gone at all; its changed and perhaps appeals to a different audience. 🙂
    PS
    Whatever happened to mountain biking ? I never see any where I sail ????

Windsurfer
    Free Member

My post got a bit mixed up above ???

Bit missing basically ;;;
    Sport has developed a great deal technically. Its faster; easier (relatively) and far more accesible (for learners).
    Windsurfing has broke the 50knot barrier (admitted kites were first and I think Hydroptere now holds speed record; but Hydroptere cost 6 million euro. Speed kit for £2000 would give it more than a run for its money and beat it in very strong winds/ some conditions.
    Boards can sail in the most extreme conditions of any craft and Kauli Seadi has just claimed his $10 000 reward for landing a triple loop. (Yes a Triple)

steviep
    Free Member

I was mad keen in the 80s too. The last board I had then was a Mistral Hookipa, great fun jumped well and was dead easy to gybe even when the wind started to drop. Loads of us sailed together and working shifts made it easy to get out in the week. I stopped sailing for years and then bought a Mistral 256 wave board off someone who was emigrating to Oz. I liked the board but it was hard work when the wind was a bit flukey so I bought a Fanatic Gecko and I found it sailed just like my old Hookipa. Then my work changed and I went onto days and not so many people sailed and I didnt quite have the bottle to go miles out to sea like we did in the old days so I sailed les and less and biked more and more.
    I eventually gave all my gear away to the local junior sailing club and now only windsurf on holiday. Saying that the last 2 holidays have been Vassiliki and Teos so had a great time. Vass was fantastic, biked all day then sailed at tea time when the wind got up.

phill104
    Free Member

Good to see windsurfing still being discussed in places other than windsurfing. As PeteB says, Bikes and Windsurfing can be very complementary sports. I've been windsurfing today on a Bedfordshire pit in howling winds with a great bunch from all walks of life. There were 50+ there today. Not bad really. Next weekend the forecast looks more ride friendly so a large group of the sailors are planning to go to the Peaks or even Wales. It all depends on what the weather does. It is suprising just how many windsurfing club members we have partake in both sports to a high degree.

For those of you that remember the old kit and how hard it was, you will be pleasantly suprised by the advancement in the sport. Liken it to riding a Penny Farthing through Afan back then compared to doing it on a nice Orange Blood FR today. The kit really has changed that much. These days a complete beginner can go out with good instruction and get their first planing experience in just a couple of months.

So those of you whe are lapsed sailors, get down to your local club and try some modern kit. Those of you who have never tried the sport before, make plans for the first week of May 2010 where national windsurfing week ( http://www.nationalwindsurfingweek.org ) might allow you to give it a go for free if your local pit are one of the many that are offering this.

catvet
    Free Member

top speed today at West Kirby 47.3 knots! down the wall, Farrel as usual had FTD
    I was mullered on an old school 4m, the new sails are so much better, the speed sailors were on 5.7m!!
    blowing a steady 30=35 knots

Spongebob
    Free Member

I was into it big time, but got fed up with travelling for miles, only to find the weather was wrong, or just as you rigged up a 6.5m you'd need a 5m, then as soon as the 5m was ready the wind dropped again.

I then bought a Saracen Blizzard (a half decent bike in those days). I out it in the car as well as taking my board and set off for Camber sands. As expected, the winds were light, so I go my bike out. My mates all thought I was nuts taking a pushbike sailing, but then they had a very boring day.
    Mmost of my friends thought it was ridiculous to buy a pushbike at the ripe old age of 23. I old them that we'd all have one someday and that MTB's would catvch on in a big way. I think I was right seeing as the said critic ended up with a series of push bikes (starting with MTBs) and now does century road rides every weekend! Well it's relatively flat where he lives – Tokyo.

My poor windsurfer has been suspended from my garage ceiling for the past 17 years in the hope that i may one day use it again Seems unlikely as i'm now crewing on a yacht from time to time.

srrc
    Free Member

Oh the nostalgia! You old pole dancers are a sad bunch!

Well, I'm one too.
    Windsurfed since the early 80's, introduced to mountain biking by the windsurf retailer, then that led into road bikes and triathlon.
    Saw the early kiters getting teabagged across the bay and thought "that's stupid".
    5 years ago for some reason started kiting, survived a trip across the rocks, and love it.
    Can get out much more often and have fun in much lighter winds. Windsurfing is great, don't knock it, but I just want to get out on the water. Kiting is much less physically demanding than windsurfing, you really need to be match fit to make the best of a windy wave day on a board. It's also much easier to learn.

Who's that with a Sunset Slalom? All time classic. Epoxy light? Good skeg? Don't chuck it, a friend here has my old one and wants another as spare.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Whatever happened to windsurfing?’ is closed to new replies.