• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ton.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Whatever happened to Mary? (Which bikes would you resurrect from the dead?)
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Haro Mary SS (200? – ?)

Already a big fan of One One Mary bars I had quite a crush from afar on this bike upon it’s release, I think it’s the first commercial SS 29er that made an impression me enough to notice, at least can’t remember anymore of it’s type at the time. It made sense in a back to basics (albeit eccentric undercarriage) kind of way. Just a simple low maintenance big-rolling anti-pixie dust steel bike that you pedalled all day like a big grinning kid. And that stunning happy as can be blue colour was just perfect. Meh’d by Bike Radar, loved unconditionally by Mtbr members, I was intrigued but living in the hills and single speed didn’t make sense enough to spend even a small wedge. Couldn’t figure out if it was just the blue and the bars I liked, or the new-old deal of heavy steel and big wheels.

And then it was in the bargain basement. And then it was gone.

And I never saw one in real life, let alone buy one and then hate it after all. Or maybe I’d have loved it? That’s the annoying part I’ll probably never know.

MoreCashThanDash

Always fancied getting one of those Marys when 29ers were still a new fad.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

The bike from which I caught the 29er bug was a Haro Mary XC, the geared version. £500 from Winstanley’s Bikes. Still running the Kenda Nevegal tyres off it but the rest of it has been scattered to the four winds.

Made it more Mary-like with the addition of some Ragley Carnegies, instead of the very straight, flat bars it came with.

Thought it was a great looking bike and got on well with the geometry but the frame was pretty heavy.

jamj1974

If you are still hankering, is this similar enough…?

Redline Monocog

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

is this similar enough…?

I like it a lot, have seen the standard Monocog before but not the flighty incarnation you linked cheers. Under 5lb frame? Sliding dropouts? I think this has settled it. Haro, you dun goofed? (but that bluuuue….). And how much for a Monocog from where?

Moses

That reminds me, I must bring mine in from the garden, after getting her filthy on yesterday’s pootle.

Mary is a lovely bike, the 16″ fits me well and I loves her. Mine needs a new everything, but since buying it I’ve hardly ridden anything else, and certainly not enjoyed other bikes as much.

racefaceec90

that’s an easy one for me.

pre trek klein adroit with strata forks (26″) but updated with disc brakes and modern geometry (has to be the gator linear fade colour scheme also)

8)

jamj1974

I found this Malvern Rider. Dealer details.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I got a haro beasly 1×9 650b wheels back in 2006 when it was all 26″. nice colour and 4130 double butted cromo for £600. there isnt anything like that now?

jamj1974

racefaceec90 – Member
    that’s an easy one for me.

pre trek klein adroit with strata forks (26″) but updated with disc brakes and modern geometry (has to be the gator linear fade colour scheme also)

I loved Klein too – always lusted after a c1990/1991 Attitude (red/green/white fade) or Adroit (red/yellow fade).

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thanks Jamj – ha a local dealer whodathunk? That means it will be 1 meeeeelion dollar$!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’d probably like to see what a modern interpretation of a Mountain Cycle San Andreas would look like. When they came out it seemed light years ahead of the rest, it would be great to see something as pioneering but retaining a bit of San An DNA.

ton

I had a pair of Mary’s. a geared orange on and a blue ss version.
    cracking value bikes for the money.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Whatever happened to Mary? (Which bikes would you resurrect from the dead?)’ is closed to new replies.