Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • whatever happened to breathe right strips
  • wonnyj
    Free Member

For a while in the 90s these were all the rage for the competitive xc racer.

They were supposed to make it easier to inhale through your nose. Does anyone still use them? Interesting that the website doesn't make any claims for improving sporting prowess.

I keep on thinking about them whenever I'm struggling up a hill with a snotty nose getting in the way of much needed air.

allthepies
    Free Member

Saw some in the local Asda last week and wondered if anyone still uses them for biking 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I am guessing they have no benefit, like about 90% of what xc racers buy!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I was given a box to try "back in the day" when I was in the trade and racing a lot more. I was impressed, to put it mildly. There was a definite improvement in the amount of airflow to my lungs, which was/is the key aim of the thing.

Never thought about buying any though.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I think i might give them a go…

There was a whole debate about whether they let you take in more air, or just the same amount of air more easily, with critical studies showing that more air wasn't possible, then the breathe right people saying it was just meant to make it easier to breathe.

wonnyj
    Free Member

cfh, likewise I think I used some once, was a bit impressed and then never bought any.

I remember that for about half a season in about 1994, they were the thing to have.

crikey
    Free Member

They are poop. The limiting factor in athletic performance is not the size of your nasal passages, it's the delivery of oxygen to your muscles.

That's why EPO works and breathe right strips don't.

Psychological…

GaryLake
    Free Member

Ha, my wife makes me sleep in them as my nose whistles without!

😳

They do work in that the airways feel noticeably more open. However, the flaw with exercise usage is that as soon as you really start breathing heavily you're probably mouth breathing – or snotty nose kicks in!

angryratio
    Free Member

Ah i remember filling these in my special box with bollox written on the side.

Woody
    Free Member

You still see sports people wearing them occassionally, rugby players etc. probably as they are wearing a gumshield.

Haven't they also been 're-marketed' as an anti-snoring aid?

trickydisco
    Free Member

he seems to think they work

0091paddy
    Free Member

Fair few pro road riders use them in TT's.

crikey
    Free Member

They really, really don't work in any sensible physiological way. As I said, the limiting factor is not how big your nostrils are…

wonnyj
    Free Member

woah, he's got some camel toe going on there!

cynic-al
    Free Member

They really, really don't work in any sensible physiological way. As I said, the limiting factor is not how big your nostrils are…

Lol

billybob
    Free Member

Robbie Fowler used to wear them when playing football…

cinnamon_girl

They used to be popular with runners. I tried them but they didn't like my skin and didn't stay in place! Ahem, also used them at night. 😳

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Crickey – they defoo help me to breathe more thru my nose – but I do have restricted nasal passages. When you really need air tho you just open your mouth wider.

Noticable improvement in air entry thru my nose tho.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I think they were originally developed as an anti-snoring aid. They work well for that. I remember getting some free on MBUK years ago and loads of people at the next xc race had them!

duntmatter
    Free Member

I saw dozens of them stuck to a lamppost the other day.

njee20
    Free Member

Saw loads of folk using them in the marathon yesterday.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I remember someone turning up to a rugby game with a box of them years ago. Everyone in the team was trying them out, so I did too. Expect my nose was too big. As a sensitive adolescent, I was a bit miffed. 😳

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘whatever happened to breathe right strips’ is closed to new replies.