Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • What you reading?
  • zippykona

The nemesis file. About an SAS execution squad in Northern Ireland in the 70s. Totally gripping and I really hope the work of some SAS wannabe and not actual fact.

fd3chris
    Free Member

The Lesser Dead by Christopher Buelhman. A very gritty vampire story . Just finished his other book Those across the river and it was brilliant.

ferrals
    Free Member

The burning land by Bernard corn well, Viking type story, kind of average but gripping at the same time

fd3chris
    Free Member

Try the Arthur chronicles by him as they are excellent.

TheFlyingOx

The Karamazov Brothers, Fyodor Dostoyevsky

It’s okay.

Cletus

The Star King by Jack Vance. Part of the Demon Princes series of 5 books.

Read it before and it is one of my favourites.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

James Oswald, Prayer for the Dead. I was given his first book a while back but took ages to read it thinking it was the usual cookie cutter crime book. Read it anyway and was hooked, nice tinge of the supernatural about it, good if maybe a touch stereotypical characters. Read the rest in fairly quick succession and thats me up to the fifth now. Several mentions of mountain biking too through the series.

senorj

Olga Da Polga by Michael Bond.
    It’s riveting.

bikebouy
    Free Member

stericmay
    Free Member

One Man and His Bike by Mike Carter, he just decides one day to ride round the coast of Britain.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Alone on the Wall, about Alex Honnold. Enjoying it.

flyingmonkeycorps

The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy. Bloody love McCarthy.

ourmaninthenorth

The Noise of Time by Julian Barnes.

spooky_b329

The Revenant. A Trapper on the frontier suffers a bear attack, his mates rob him and leave him for dead in the wilderness. he recovers and seeks revenge. Rocky mountains/1820’s.

Seems good so far.

mattkkitch

Lost at Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries

Short stories from the gonzo journalist, hilarious!

donks
    Free Member

The Revenant. A Trapper on the frontier suffers a bear attack, his mates rob him and leave him for dead in the wilderness. he recovers and seeks revenge. Rocky mountains/1820’s.
    Seems good so far.

That sounds like it might work well as a film.

I’m reading child44. which apparently didn’t work well as a film.

MrSparkle

One more kilometre and we’re in the showers by Timothy Hilton. Pretty good.
    https://m.harpercollins.co.uk/9780006532286/one-more-kilometre-and-were-in-the-showers

bencooper
    Free Member

The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. Again. Because it’s very good.

Matt24k
    Free Member

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. Was made into a film with Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins.
    Just finished Ray Winstone’s autobiography in case any one was thinking that I am a bit flowery.
    The Kite Runner is one of my favourites and as usual the book is way better than the film.

scandal42
    Free Member

Guardian travel section

Denis99
    Free Member

The power of the Dog by Don Winslow, best book I have read in a long time.

South America, drugs, cartel , violence, USA interference CIA, war on drugs.

Top read.

maxray
    Free Member

Just my Type – it’s a book about the history of typefaces. 🙂

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Angel’s Don’t Play This Haarp. By Jane Manning and Dr Nick Begich.
    also, A Slave’s Guide to The Galaxy. By No One Special.
    not everyone’s cuppa. Interesting for me though.

gibby

The mountain shadow by Gregory David Roberts the follow up to Shantaram but nowhere near as good 🙁

gallowayboy

+1 for Cormac Mcarthy – Border Trilogy is terrific.
    Currently reading Blood Hunt by Neil Gunn – good, but not as good as the Silver Darlings or Highland River.

spooky_b329

That sounds like it might work well as a film.

I’m assuming that’s tongue in cheek 😉 I’ve not seen it though.

mikey74
    Free Member

I finished the Hobbit on Thursday and now about to start “Tambora: The Eruption that Changed the World”.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Iron, Steam And Money by Roger Osborne. Story of the Industrial Revolution in the UK. I only have enough patience for non-fiction.

chomp
    Free Member

Influx – Daniel Suarez

So far so-so

Very simular to his others (near future techpsionage – i think I just made that word up!), of which I thought Daemon was amazing, the rest less so as I read each one. I think this one will end up somehwere in the middle.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Search for the Missing Are.

It’s a real page turner.

deadkenny
    Free Member

STW

Wikipedia

Stack Overflow

😛

MoreCashThanDash

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett. Only just started dabbling with his stuff, and this is a brilliant send up of religion.

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

flyingmonkeycorps – Member
    The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy. Bloody love McCarthy

gallowayboy – Member
    +1 for Cormac Mcarthy – Border Trilogy is terrific.
    Currently reading Blood Hunt by Neil Gunn – good, but not as good as the Silver Darlings or Highland River

I loved the start of The Crossing but overall probably my least favourite of the Border Trilogy. Whole chapters in Spanish is a little silly IMHO.

As a whole I agree though fantastic trilogy probably only bettered by Blood Meridian. McCarthy is definitely at his best writing about the old West.

I’m just finishing up American Psycho. Absolutely bonkers as expected. Gives me a real appreciation of Christian Bale as an actor. Totally nails the Bateman of the book.

olddonald

The Greatest Knight – William Marshal – er the David Beckham of the medieval tournament ?

bigshep
    Free Member

Just about to start:

The Establishment, and how they get away with it. By Owen Jones.

Not my usual sport autobiography/cycling read so looking forward to it…

shermer75
    Free Member

Also (re)reading Small Gods. Massive Terry Pratchett fan

CountZero

The most recent have been When The Lights Go Out, by Tanith Lee, one of my favourite books, about an out-of-season, slightly down-at-heel south-coast seaside town, love, loss and sacrifice. Only just become available as an ebook, I already have a paperback from ’97 when it was first published, and I’ve just managed to find an absolutely perfect hardcover for $16 from Canada!
    The Electric Michealangelo, by Sarah Hall, about a young man who becomes a tattooist in Morcambe in the 20’s, then moves to New York and Coney Island, before returning home after the Second World War. Just found this as an ebook.
    Just started re-reading The Wizard Of The Pigeons, by Megan Lindholm, now writing as Robin Hobb, set in Seattle, about a Vietnam Vet haunted by something dark from his past. After reading it the first time it left such an impression that it was over ten years before I could bring myself to read it again. Just got an ebook version of this one as well.

bubs

A Fraction of the Whole – Steve Toltz. Excellent reading.

Mugboo

Feet in the clouds – Richard askwith

Gravy
    Free Member

The Genesis Code, by John Case, getting towards, the back and very tense.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘What you reading?’ is closed to new replies.