Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)
  • What ya reading? Return of the occasional STW book club thread…
  • lunge

I never read at home but am an animal when I’m on holiday. The pick of this years selection is:

The Dark Summit, Nick Heil – Very interesting account about climbing Everest and what is left on the mountain.
    The Beckoning Silence, Joe Simpson – Talks about why people climb and takes risk and when it is time to stop, I liked it a lot.
    We Were Young and Carefree, Laurent Fignon – Interesting take on road racing, clearly he is very opinionated and says what he thinks, worth reading even if you don’t agree with what he says.
    Livibng Dangerously, Ranulph Fiennes – He comes across at a bit of an idiot but some of what he acheived is really impressive.

brassneck

The Man in the High Castle, Philip K Dick

I don’t think I’m clever enoogh to understand all the subtleties!

Mintman
    Free Member

instanthit
    Free Member

The Mark Beaumont book is great, problem is it makes you want to plan an epic round the world trip, at the moment im working on the wife letting me out for 5 hours on Sunday, so going to have to put epic rides on the backburner.
    Im reading Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time, im on book 9 of about 15! An epic adventure from the armchair.

donks
    Free Member

Just finished “The shadow of the wind” which i really enjoyed and now just starting the “difference engine”.

arrpee
    Free Member

+1 for ‘Nothing to Envy’.

Just finished ‘The Death of Marco Pantani’ by Matt Rendell. Bleakly brilliant and heartily recommended to anyone who enjoys riding bikes and/or reading books. The race accounts and descriptions of the riders’ varying styles and physicality are a pleasure to read. It also provides a jaw-dropping insight into the extent of doping practices during the period covered, especially EPO abuse.

atlaz
    Free Member

On a similar vein, I read Bad Blood recently (and a Lance biog that wasn’t at all complimentary to him) which was very interesting in terms of seeing how ingrained doping had become.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Maglia Rosa’s a great book on the history of the Giro..

titusrider
    Free Member

Alan bennett Smut

Feels a bit wierd reading on the train but really good little short stories

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

about to start

samuri
    Free Member

127 Hours. Very different perspective to the film. He is even more annoying in the book, but some definite lessons there.

Indeed. The lesson I learned from that book is to stay well clear of that bloke. He’s a liability, took a great many risks in places they shouldn’t be taken.

bazzer
    Free Member

Reading Catch 22 at the moment and I am not really getting it which is strange as lot of other people seem to love it.

downhillsquirrel
    Free Member

The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal – holiday read – excellent! 😯

Pieface

I’m currently on the uncut (1400 pages, 1.5kg) version of ‘The Stand’by Stephen King.

I’m currently on the 3rd book and with only 300 pages left got a feeling that the endings going to be a bit rushed compared to the rest of the story.

nbt

Reading my brother-in-law’s book about the joys of being a primary school teacher

As he’s related you may consider me to be slightly biased but I must say I am enjoying it *immensely* – easy to read, split into nice bite sized chunks that fit nicely into my train commute / lunch hour

Edukator
    Free Member

Kein Sex ist auch keine Lösung, by Mai Morgowski. A househusband reading a book for housewives. Cutting observations of modern relationships and abuse/use of stereotypes make thought provoking reading.

busydog
    Free Member

Reading Catch 22 at the moment and I am not really getting it which is strange as lot of other people seem to love it.

I had the same reaction–tried it 20 years ago and couldn’g get into it–tried it again several years later–same result.

Currently:

“The Last Gunfight” by Jeff Guinn–a detailed study of the events leading up to and following the 1881 gunfight at the OK Corral in Tombstone, Arizona between the Earps, Doc Holliday and the “cowboy” faction.

“Does The Noise In My Head Bother You?” by Steven Tyler/Aerosmith–and I thought I have done some crazy things.

busydog
    Free Member

I’m currently on the uncut (1400 pages, 1.5kg) version of ‘The Stand’by Stephen King.

Re-read that a few months ago after 10 years–still enjoyed it.

I recently completed the 7 volume “Dark Tower” series by Stephen King
    Different, but very engaging and the ending was—not at all what I anticpated

juan
    Free Member

Book two of the belgarath from eddings.
    Stoner how much you want from the book you’re reading posted to france.

Reading John le Carre’s ‘Spy who came in from the cold’ and Pratchett’s ‘Going postal’ can’t go too far wrong with Discworld books! Just about to order some sh Bernard Cornwell books. Swords, archers and battles, fun. T.V. is on the blink so I’m reading more.

muddy@rseguy

finished this:

Really good fun with gratuitous iPhone controlled dirigible UAV and Ekranoplan content.

now trying to actually finish this:

as its nearly 1000 pages long and Ive still got the next two equally weighty sequels to get through afterwards…more maths, chemistry, physics, politics, religion and trade history than my art college educated brain can really handle…plus some good old fashioned pox-riddled swashbuckling for good measure 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Juan, book gratis to you. Pm me your address.
    Which one was it you wanted? Nothing to envy, or making things?

julianwilson
    Free Member

‘Rabbit Run’ by John Updike. Nice so far, but i have never seen the word ‘foreshortening’ used so often.

mrhoppy

samuri – Member
    127 Hours. Very different perspective to the film. He is even more annoying in the book, but some definite lessons there.

Indeed. The lesson I learned from that book is to stay well clear of that bloke. He’s a liability, took a great many risks in places they shouldn’t be taken.

I ended up cheering the rock on by the end of it.

Just finished ‘The Bricklayer’ by Noah Boyd and have started ‘The Passenger’ by Justin Cronin. I’m at a bit of a loss trying to find something decent having finished the Flashman series.

yossarian
    Free Member

Just read and then reread ‘With the old breed – at Peleliu & Okinawa’ by Eugene Sledge. I’m not really a fan of war stories, but this account of a mortar squad with the US marines in the Pacific during the second world war has really got under my skin. Dunno what else to say really. It’s not a comfortable read.

MrSmith
    Free Member

the cold six thousand, James Ellroy.
    just finished American Tabloid (the first and second part of a trilogy)

all about the mob/Kennedy Family/FBI/Cuban missile crisis/Howard Hughes/J.E Hoover/KKK/Marilyn monroe/Sinatra and based on true facts and conspiracies.
    Ellroy has a unique style and i find his books addictive.

for those of you who haven’t heard of him he wrote L.A. confidential which was made into a superb film.

saxabar
    Free Member

Just finished

Starting

fontmoss
    Free Member

the regeneration trilogy is excellent, shadow of the wind is good, i really enjoyed the road and middlesex last year. Also been recommended shantaram and a fraction of the whole

harrymunro
    Free Member

Currently digging through the MBLA Official Training Manual

juan
    Free Member

Stoner you got mail
    xj

Kevevs
    Free Member

Bad Science – Ben Goldacre
    American Scream The Bill Hicks Story – Cyntha True

project
    Free Member

How i won the yellow jumper, by, ned boulting, off itv, cycling,

now a book about SKY cycling team and hen the David dopping cyclist book,, cant remembe the names.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Iliad.

matt_outandabout
    Squidlord
    Free Member

the cold six thousand, James Ellroy.
    just finished American Tabloid (the first and second part of a trilogy)

Just finished the final part, Blood’s a Rover. More of the same – but he’s so good

Currently on the bedside table are:
    “Love All the People” – Bill Hick’s routines. Doesn’t really work on paper for me
    “Greek Myths” – Robert Graves. People used to believe such utter nonsense 😐
    😉
    “Decision in Normandy” – Carlo D’Este. I’m fascinated by the whole… scale of the Normandy landings & campaign. Very interesting book, much better than Anthony Beevor’s recent effort, IMHO

MrSmith
    Free Member

Just finished the final part, Blood’s a Rover. More of the same – but he’s so good

i actually read that first as i picked it up in a bookshop not knowing it was part III. no big deal, starwars was done out of chronological order 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just finished Nothing to Envy, so +2 for that one 🙂
    Nothing else lined up apart from some reference books.

sprootlet
    Free Member

Jusy finished A lifetime in race – Matthew Pinsent. Very enjoyable and recommended
    A force of nature – Robin Knox-Johnson. Wanted to like it but didn’t, seemed to spend most of the book complaining about IT failures

No Way Down – life and death on K2. Read it in a day, couldn’t put it down. Great read, really brought home how things can go terribly wrong…

morgs
    Free Member

Tom Clancy – Executive Orders.

Read most of his books before, but not in chronological order….so I’m getting through them all back to back. In total, got about 5000 pages to read to get through the ones on myself (all re-reads) then I have his factual stuff to get through.

Think he’s a great author, a lot more detail than Chris Ryan et al….not slating them, but their books are nice for a chill after a Clancy!

mdb
    Free Member

Currently reading Notes On A Scandal which is rather good.

My best fave reads i would recommend, in no particular order:

Blood Meridian, The Road, No Country For Old Men – Cormac McCarthy
    A Simple Act of Violence – RJ Ellory
    King of The World – brilliant book about Muhammed Ali
    World War Z – Max Brooks (read it before the new Brad Pitt movie)
    The Passage – Justin Cronin

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘What ya reading? Return of the occasional STW book club thread…’ is closed to new replies.