Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What XP anti virus software – I've tried MSE but it aint there no more
  • iolo
    Free Member

I’ve tried Avast and AVG, both of which slowed the computer down to a snail’s pace.
    Any others I could try?
    Many thanks

richmars

I guess this is a hint to upgrade XP.

jerseychaz

I’ve got McAfee running on an PC with XP Pro – not too bad. I’d change it for W7 but there are some legacy applications that aren’t compatible 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    devs
    Free Member

F-Prot. Still a proper AV and not self advertising bloatware like the rest. Cheap for 5 PCs.

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve got McAfee

It’s like thrush for your PC. Irritating and hard to get rid of.

samuri
    Free Member

The biggest risk to you at this stage is not your lack of anti-virus software but that you’re running an unpatched operating system. Viruses use holes in your software to embed themselves, if you patch them then they can’t get in and MS ain’t releasing any more patches for XP, IE8 or office 2003.

Upgrade. Please. It’s the best thing you can do at this stage.

You can get a windows 7 license key for 30 quid or a full product on dvd for 40 quid.

Waderider
    Free Member

Ignore the advice from Samuri. He is clearly a Microsoft shill.

Get yourself on the Linux learning curve by downloading linux. Try Ubuntu. Burn to a CD and install beside XP. Use Ubuntu for surfing and gain knowledge. You have years of Windows experience so need to get on the linux/open source learning curve. Start familarising yourself with linux and in time you will feel confident enough to junk Windows.

However, if you have no interest in computers the advice from Samuri may be good. But it’ll cost you money you could be spending on bike bits!

pealy
    Free Member

Sure you can’t get Microsoft Security Essentials? Page I’m looking at says “Supports Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP”

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

bigyinn
    Free Member

MSE isnt supporting XP, yes you can still have it on there, but its not updated. Whats the point if you have an wide open OS?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What XP anti virus software – I've tried MSE but it aint there no more’ is closed to new replies.