Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • what xc/lightweight trail frame
  • myles91
    Free Member

Decided my alpitude is way too much for what I need so I am planning on spacing down my revs to 120mm and basically looking for an alternative to a Cotic soul but more xc focussed than long travel and looking to run 100-120mm forks. Also wanted something around the same weight as the soul, doesn’t have to be steel although I loved the feel of the r853. Seen an old 2001 GT zaskar on pb but was thinking it might not handle the fork at 120mm so well, any suggestions??

r1chtea
    Free Member

A soul!?

Scapegoat

why would you want an alternative to a soul?

uwe-r
    Free Member

Whippet ? Nice bike in carbon flavour but possibly a bit long and low for most users.

mangatank
    Free Member

Ti 456 Evo is turning out to be a great XC/trail bike with 105mm forks. Very addictive frame to ride.

br
    Free Member

Space your Revs down to 120mm, and ride the Alpitude.

Unless you go Alu/Carbon/Ti you’re only going to be saving a 1lb by buying a Soul.

Or, what about a 456Ti?

nickc

Decided my alpitude is way too much for what I need

Don’t get this TBH, why would swap a good reasonably light frame for one less capable? br has it, space down the revs and ride the alptitude

ceepers

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/genesis-core-frame-and-bits-build-yourself-a-cheap-fun-hardtail?replies=2#post-4748860

Maybe just what you are looking for? Designed for 100 – 120 forks, same geom as a soul?

myles91
    Free Member

The alpitude is designed around a 140mm fork which is too much travel on a hard tail for me, that’s why I was looking to go for something more xc trail focussed than all mountain/alpine. If the alpitude will ride nicely at 100-120mm for xc duties then I’ll give that a try.

Soul is pricey so just wanted to see what alternatives there are as I’m not interested in a 140mm hard tail all I need is 120mm Max.

456 sounds good but don’t wanna spend ti money, what about carbon 456 for xc?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Look at a kinesis xc120. It’s a wonderful frame and cheap.

superfli
    Free Member

I went the other way. Sold my very capable and pretty lightweight rock lobster frame for a soul. The rl was more sprightly, pingy and fast for xc. Great on south downs. It was a fair bit lighter than my soul build which has dropper on and weighs 27lb, so reckon it was 25lb max.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Cotic…..Solaris….end of! 🙂

batman11
    Free Member

Hello little boy. Why go hardtail why not try a full sus fame?? You could pick up a giant anthemx frame I’m sure for something like £350 that will take a 120 fork and there light and should help that old back of yours way more than a hardy tail.
    Bats.

earlanderson
    Free Member

i got a kinesis maxlight xc pro. climbs like a goat and a good price too.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘what xc/lightweight trail frame’ is closed to new replies.