Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What XC Frame would you recommend?
  • Jeffus
    Free Member

I’m after an XC Frame , with Taper head set, 100-120mm travel,
    fairly light but strong, what would you recommend, for general trails , single track and trail centres… would like it to be around 68deg head angle if possible, and be able to take a dropper seat post,
    cheers

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Why do you NEED a taper headset for xc?

Jeffus
    Free Member

I need the taper because the fork I have now is a taper , 🙂

nothing wrong with taper on an xc frame, could be more rigid and track better, I’m just after recommendations for a frame, Cheers

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m after an XC Frame free-core rad sled , with Taper head set, 100-120mm travel,
    fairly light but strong, what would you recommend, for general trails , single track and trail centres… shreding the radcore-gnarr whilst feelin the stoke, would like it to be around 68deg head angle if possible, and be able to take a dropper seat post,
    cheers

FTFY

Boardman make 100-120mm hardtails with tapered headtubes.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Sorry forgot to say it has to be a full sus frame, I really like hard tails and have had quite a few but my back does not hold up well, due to a long standing injury,

thisisnotaspoon I’m not really gnarr and rad , just an old duffer who trundles along and thinks he’s going quick but is really not 😀

the Boardman frames/bikes I have seen look pretty good.

loddrik
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with wanting a fs frame, there are, believe it or not, still some of us out there who still prefer them and have no intention of buying a rigid steel 29er singlespeed.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sory, for some reason I presumed hardtail, most 120mm sussers seem to have gone for tapered head tubes so plenty to pick from.

wwaswas

what’s your budget?

is 68degrees considered ‘xc’ now?

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Jeffus – your spec list seems to match perfectly with the new Santa Cruz TR carbon frame – 120mm travel, tapered headset, 68 degree headangle, cable guides for a dropper post – boxes all ticked!

resisted
    Free Member

Saracen Ariel if budget is a consideration? Having ridden one, was massively impressed, really grin inducing! Not sure if it’s available as a Frameset however.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Not seen the Santa Cruz TR Carbon that will be expensive, budget would be around £12-1500 for the frame , I’ll have a peak any way 😀
    I like the slightly slacker feel my 5 is 67, so I guessed around 68 for a XC light trail frame.

Jeffus
    Free Member

bennyboy1 just checked out the BlurTR Yep that is perfect 17″ with a 23″ TT,120mm travel , taper head set, 68 degs looks perfect, I’d have to sell a kidney to get one 😀

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Nicolai AC or CC with Tapered headtube

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The stork is not an xc bike

Jeffus
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear , what is The Stork?

jad
    Free Member

Yeti ASR 5 aluminum?

Jeffus
    Free Member

jad another frame that looks good seat tubes are long, and I have stubby legs medium looks good or a small !!

Wookster

Epic?

scant
    Free Member

trek fuel EX. feels lighter to ride than it does to pick up (& they’re not heavy!) exceptionally agile & lively feeling (my old orange5 felt dead in comparison). 120mm & takes a taper fork for the upper end frames. really composed under heavy braking with the ABP

racefaceec90

have a look at one of these http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Anthem-X-Frame-2011_40421.htm .i have a 10 anthem and it is fantastic 😀

aidancaptainslow
    Free Member

Just to let of you know if your intrested i have a Anthem X is worth a look if carbon is a little to pricey for people i have ridden the Anthem X rock shox sid team 2009 and the same 2011 with the tapered and 15mm axle f32 fox with the lockout on the hbars model…..and wow i was so impressed with the difference to an already awesome little rocketship. And the frame kit is also very well priced and bloody light . There are at least 4 i can think of in our little Danish MTB club and we all love them…mine weighs about 10.8 on a good day. Otherwise the SC TR blur looks lovely. i have a post “anyone have problems with SC scott frames” asking about SC Yeti Scott and other frames for XC racing but in carbon. Checkit out some of the guys love the spark and the Yeti asr 5 is in Aluminum and is supposed to be very nice and well priced.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Hehe stork iS ariel when you are typing on a Jesus phone

joolsburger
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Nickel.

hambl90
    Free Member

Apart from the taper head tube the sc blur is one of the best bikes I’ve ridden.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Pivot Mach 4 – 100mm rear but you can put 120mm fork on it. Lots of sag so bear in mind that the geometry will not make sense on paper. DW link means it pedals phenomenally well.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Thanks everyone quite a few good ideas, I’d best go and find more info on them all.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What XC Frame would you recommend?’ is closed to new replies.