Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • What would you want from French cycling holiday?
  • GavinT
    Free Member

I feel what we have to offer would suit people who wish to discover the area by bike rather just come here to challenge their riding skills.

This totally sells it to me. 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Not sure how we got to the point where riding your bike cross country was considered ‘niche.’ I suspect it’s what most riders do most of the time…Its normal trail riding.

I think it’s more how a term is perceived, hence my question. I have visions of ‘XC’ holidays being lycra-clad chain-gangs down fireroads, which puts me off no end. It is a totally incorrect perception, but if you’re selling a product it’s good to be aware of these things. Language is a very powerful tool.

In this particular instance it sounds like ‘trail riding’ is a more appropriate description.

andrewm9164
    Free Member

Thanks for clearing up this point what I do is trail riding, the photo posted by ahwiles totaly sums up our area and the tracks we ride.
    Having read all the comments I think we should offer a more specific package so people know what they are booking.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ which photo, the first one with 700m climbs or the second with rolling hills ?

It’s worth exploring bus routes and whether you can catch a ride to the top of a hill with the bikes. Quite a few places in Switzerland I can do this or get a ride home or back up into a resort after lifts have closed.

ahwiles
    Free Member

(Fingers crossed for photo #2)

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP why don’t you post up some typical stats – eg 40k ride 600m climbing ?

I do think you can be into something with a few local trips, cheese makers, small Recoltant or Vignorobles Independent. Mrs B is French and loves to chat to people so we ended up getting a tour of a fromagerie under a cow shed half way up a mountain, great experience. Now we bought cheeses which you can get from the supermarket in the valley but that wasn’t the point.

As the region isn’t so well known it’s a chance to discover something new, imo you want to make it local and not just a.n.other mtb venue

km79
    Free Member

Regardless of how good as the XC riding may be, I would never go anywhere on an XC holiday unless there was an enforced no lycra policy. That would need to be in the T&Cs.

andrewm9164
    Free Member

The photo I referred to was the second one the rolling hills. A typical 40km ride will normally climb 700m. I did 50km last week and climbed 1024m the down hill makes the climbing worthwhile for me.

scaredypants

More info on the demure school mistress, peasant girl, philosopher lady and cheese please. Not too bothered about mist.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘What would you want from French cycling holiday?’ is closed to new replies.