Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What would you spec? GORE, Goodridge, XTR, Nokon, Jagwire…
  • Swalsey
    Free Member

I'm building the bike I always wanted – a 2001 GT Zaskar team.

What gear cables perform best and look the part (no garish colours!)? Nokon, GORE, Goodridge, Jagwire etc…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

XTR work well enough, the new Gore sealed/low friction system ace and is much better produced than the 1st generation.

Dougal
    Free Member

Always been really pleased with XTR, anything more always seems overkill.

njee20
    Free Member

Using Alligator I-links at the moment, having tried all the other ones you mention. They're pretty good, more faff than standard cables though, for virtually no return.

Avoid Nokons, they creak and are generally a bit lame. Gore ones aren't really worth the money either IMO, they don't last any longer.

I'd probably just use bog standard Shimano SP-41 cables, and change them fairly regularly.

oxym0r0n

XTR for me – sealed ferrules and the like. They are not overly-generous with thier outer in the all-in-one packs though, so you might need a little extra outer depending upon frame size…

Coleman
    Free Member

XTR if you want grey. XT (SP-41) if you want black.
    Both work well.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

XTRs work very well, but I've found the outers are a bit brittle and split easily.

Goodridge work well and are basically a fully sealed system, although the thin sheath that covers the exposed section of cable on the sets I've bought has been blue. The outers match Goodridge brake hose quite well though…

Nokons are silly light, but apparently creak and are expensive.

What about Powercordz? Even sillier lighter and even more expensiver…

…and this is getting really quite geeky now…

AndyP
    Free Member

never had Nokons creak. Excellent bit of kit. Mind, the newer Gore ones are really nice too.

fozzybear
    Free Member

transfil flying snakes

njee20
    Free Member

I-links are cheaper, lighter, easier to fit and less creaky (you're in the minority Andy) than Nokons!

Powercordz inners aren't bad, but the consensus seems to be to avoid the newer 1.2mm ones, once clamped the coating comes off, so if you need to adjust the pinch bolt or owt it's very difficult. The older 1.5mm ones are more durable. Again, I'm not sure I'd bother in the future!

funkynick

I've got Transfil Mud Lovers on my 5 Spot, which seem to work rather nicely, and have just got another set for the other halfs new Juliana…

Not had any problems with them at all…

lowey

I've had the outers fray quite badly on 2 sets of mud lovers.

XTR or Gore for me.

andyl46
    Free Member

Transfil mud lovers or flying snakes for me.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've just binned a set of gore gear cables. They were on a bike I've had four year. However, they were transplanted to that bike from another one.

I think I'll replace them with the same.

Hal
    Free Member

Jagwire pre-stretched for me. 8)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

transfil mudlovers or flying snakes here too. Very similar to the original Gore stuff, without the silly prices. Venhill also used to do a similar set.

RepacK
    Free Member

+1 for XTR. Ive used gore before & I dont think they are as good.

dobo
    Free Member

i bought 5 or 10m meters of sp41 from starbike yonks ago cheaply, works rather well, prefer it over flying snake
    cutting sp41 is more critical though, hack trough it and it will split

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

good-ridge r nice,had gore on a v set up,an was very smooth

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What would you spec? GORE, Goodridge, XTR, Nokon, Jagwire…’ is closed to new replies.