Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What would you say is the best way to sell a high spec iMac?
  • palmer77
    Free Member

This is the spec

Apple iMac (27-inch, 2560 x 1440, Late 2013)
    OS X Yosemite (Version 10.10.3)
    Processor 3.5 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, turbo-boost up to 3.9 GHz
    Memory 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Startup Disk Macintosh HD 3 TB Fusion Drive
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB of GDDR5 memory

I paid £2,349 for this with 8GB of RAM, and then upgraded it to 32GB so the nearest equivalent from Apple now would retail at around £2,649 – £2,849. I don’t want to put it on eBay due to the likely high fees etc. Anyone had a similar experience at all?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I reckon a thinly veiled post on here listing the spec and the price you want for it, will get loads of views

palmer77
    Free Member

Honest gov, just looking for opinions 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

It’s not a 5K retina display one. Virtually worthless

Rachel

zilog6128

The problem is (speaking as someone who is currently in the market for a new iMac) it doesn’t have the Retina screen (I assume this is why you want rid!) and anyone who has seen/used a Retina iMac is very unlikely to pay top dollar for one without it so IMO you’d need to either price it keenly or stick it on eBay where you’re more likely to find a buyer who doesn’t know/care about the screen resolution.

EDIT: poster above put it more succinctly!!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Have a look on eBay for that model and view ‘sold listings’. That’ll show you what people are paying.

somouk
    Free Member

You need to ignore the current retail price, you’re selling an iMac that has been home upgraded and will be out of warranty.

The new 5K iMac is regarded as the one to go for so yours won’t appeal to those looking for a high end unit.

Have a look at ebay finished auctions and that will give you a range of prices to look for.

br
    Free Member

Less than 50% of purchase price to start with, and then it depends on how much folk would want one.

I reckon you’d struggle for a grand, happy to be proved wrong.

Just keep it, the new shiny one won’t be that much better, if at all.

allthegear
    Free Member

TBH – I most likely would buy it for £500. I could use it for hosting some virtual machines on.

Rachel

mikewsmith
    Free Member

could you use it as a TV?

palmer77
    Free Member

Home upgraded RAM won’t void the warranty, its one of the only this you can do. The reason I want to sell it is due to moving home and I have a MBP for work anyway.

palmer77
    Free Member

The screen is above HD resolution anyway, I wouldn’t bother with the retina screen myself…

grum
    Free Member

eBay completed listings for guide prices then try local buying and selling groups on Facebook or photography/video/graphic design groups.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I would have thought its worth around £800-1000. The MacBooks sell for 50% of new price quite easily and whilst this doesn’t have the latest screen its still fabulous. Keep me posted OP I may be interested – email in profile. FWIW I would buy a 5K one if I where buying new.

the-muffin-man

I wouldn’t bother with the retina screen myself…

That’s what I thought till I got a new one at work!

FWIW we got the 27″ 5k retina model for £2055 (inc VAT) – 4Ghz i7, 16GB, 1TB

I don’t think many people would pay much over a grand for yours.

Why are you selling it? Just seen in you post above – and now below!

palmer77
    Free Member

Im selling as I am moving house.

Tallpaul

eBay sales suggest about £1500. So, factoring auction and Paypal fees, you’ll pocket about £1300.

This is the quickest way to make a guaranteed sale. I’m not sure where else you can go to sell high value items these days. AV Forums? But that used to be a PITA. I wouldn’t touch Gumtree for something like this.

johndoh
    Free Member

Virtually worthless

Tosh. Barely any Mac is virtually worthless – I recently sold a very broken Air (wouldn’t start after having liquid spilt on it, Apple quoted £900 to repair).

I got £150 for it.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

allthegear: It’s not a 5K retina display one. Virtually worthless

allthegear: TBH – I most likely would buy it for £500. I could use it for hosting some virtual machines on.

Do you think you haggling tactics are going well?

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ll start the bidding 30 quid? 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

johndoh – Member

Tosh. Barely any Mac is virtually worthlessi just moved so I cleared out some crap, stuck an old g3 iMac and a g4 tower out on the street for the bin men. They lasted about 30minutes before they were lifted! 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

They lasted about 30minutes before they were lifted!

That will be he identity thieves looking for your bank details.

I think Rachel is at £500 and I’d pay more than that so £150 is rather optimistic even by Scottish standards 😀

palmer77
    Free Member

The other option I have is to sell my rMBP as I am going to have to use a PC for the new job which dictates the move.

EDIT: …as it may sell better given that it’s still fairly current and has the retina screen which some may think is a game changer.

Retina display: 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch
    2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache
    16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory
    512GB flash storage.
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics 1536 Mb
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory

What do ya reckon?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Just put Windows on the MBP?

palmer77
    Free Member

Three_Fish – Member
    Just put Windows on the MBP?

I could but still have to use their system as its part of a DfE contract. I also don’t want to lug two systems around…

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    They lasted about 30minutes before they were lifted!

That will be he identity thieves looking for your bank details.Should maybe have checked for the harddrives before they bothered! 😀

footflaps

We bought a brand new iMac at Xmas, didn’t go for Retina as I couldn’t really tell the difference over the standard one.

mboy
    Free Member

palmer77, just sent you an email

Could be interested in taking it off your hands if the price is right…

MrSmith
    Free Member

What do ya reckon?

mac2sell.com

ericemel
    Free Member

I like a hassle free life so would go for mac2sell or similar – they are offering around £900

Ebay will get you more.

But at that price I’d be getting a Retina at £1400 (everyone knows a student right?)

palmer77
    Free Member

I put the spec into mac2sell and it gave a price of £1550 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Does mac2sell ask about the age of the machine ? I would have thought that makes a big difference.

As posted earlier if you do decide to sell the iMac let me know

cbike
    Free Member

Where are you based?

palmer77
    Free Member

Near Bedford

br
    Free Member

I also don’t want to lug two systems around…

Is it me, or have you two top-end machines?

jambalaya
    Free Member

That’s why he’s potentially selling one, do keep up 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Good suggestion. £501

nickdavies

It’s not a 5K retina display one. Virtually worthless

But it is 27(.5?) inch….

IGMC

jambalaya
    Free Member

@racer, read the thread 😉 I have a much better bid than £501

palmer77
    Free Member

b r – Member
    I also don’t want to lug two systems around…

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

True, it’s because I’m self-employed and work remotely with clients and at home. My new contract dictates I used their system so I want to get rid of one of these.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What would you say is the best way to sell a high spec iMac?’ is closed to new replies.