• This topic has 28 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cokie.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What would you put in your stable?
  • SaxonRider

If you could buy up to four bikes (money no object), what four would you have?

To cover all the riding I do, or would like to do, mine would have to be

and for getting about in the city:

scotroutes

A horse

mattbee

In my stable I’d put a horse.
    My bikes would be in a bike shed or the house if the wife is away.

jam-bo

a horse

edit: a quicker one.

philwarren11
    Free Member

My current bike for general riding. A DH bike and a road bike with discs and decent tyre clearance for commuting.

No clue on the latter, but i’d take a session, a demo or a glory. I’m not that fussy.

aracer
    Free Member

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

a horse and certainly not a fat bike for which the craze like single speed will soon be over

SaxonRider

Well, now that we got the horse jokes out of the way, anyone want to post some nice bike pics?

hugo
    Free Member

Only a horse.

Horses live in stables.

Bikes are not steeds. Horses are steeds.

Horses live in stables.

Anyone who mentions the word quiver is coming off the xmas card list!

ferrals
    Free Member

A pivot LES 27.5 hardtail, though with 1 by drivertrain flat bar etc:

A scott spark 27.5:

A ridley x-night, in fact I’d have two of them so I have a spare bike for muddy races. Then I’d jsut have to work on my ability so i didnt lok like a ****t!

mrblobby
    Free Member

A horse.

Hmm bikes, I’d struggle with 4, some compromises would have to be made. Can we have 7?

aracer
    Free Member

On a thread with this title, no. Try using less **** terminology.

You do realise that the replys aren’t just people trying to be funny?

Yak

xc/endurance racing and general go fast/go far rides:

this will serve all my road riding just fine:

singlespeed awesomeness:

and some steel goodness and general purpose do-it-all workhorse bike:

Obvs- all money no object. Reality is somewhat different and I’m sure in the depths of a muddy winter slog, I’d be happier and worry less on my inbred than all of the above.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A microbrewery.

In the shed I’d have a fatbike.

for which the craze like single speed will soon be over

Well it’s lasted over a hundred and fifty years so far, so I’m guessing on a geological timescale that’s still ‘soon’.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Road racing..

XC… (though a custom project one version)

Cross…

TT…

Training…

And I know that’s five. And other than the Shand I know it’s all a bit boring big brand, but they’re tools for a job.

I’d also like to squeeze in a 650B trail bike and a cargo bike. I’m going to need a bigger stable.

njee20
    Free Member

Money no object and you go for a Deore equipped hardtail and 105 equipped road bike OP? Dare to dream…!

ninfan
    Free Member

I really can’t see the appeal of buying anything ‘factory made’ for a road bike for that type of money.

Just cannot understand why anyone would want a pinarello or BMC over something like a Pegoretti or a Bertolelli-Legend (or even a classic English frame maker)? Proper timeless craftsman made work of art rather than churned out of a far east production line.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

for which the craze like single speed will soon be over

Is it? Why wasn’t I told?

My 1×1 and Karate Monkey would probably be joined by a fatbike (ICT, Caribou or Mukluk) and some flavour steel framed gravel / tourer (Vaya or similar)

But realistically I seem to be in n-1 mode at the moment – I barely have time to ride the 2 bikes I already have, my current bikes cover all I need and if I’m honest the Karate Monkey would probably be fine as my only bike.

Yak

A microbrewery

yeah, that would be great too. I’d have a creamery as well. Mmmmm, beer and cheese……

SaxonRider

njee20 – Member
    Money no object and you go for a Deore equipped hardtail and 105 equipped road bike OP? Dare to dream…!

I guess when I said money no object, I still meant ‘realistic’.

I am a middle-aged man with a family. I can’t really imagine spending more than £2500 to £3000 on a bike, even if I was a millionaire. Unless it was for someone else.

As much as I love bicycles, something so refined would not really suit my lifestyle.

If, however, you want to spend more, go ahead. I just like oogling bikes.

scotroutes

Depends if it’s for riding or looking at. A cheap digital watch is perfect for telling the time. Anything else is just for show (or, as my wife would call it, jewellery).

SaxonRider

@scotroutes: my thoughts exactly.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I really can’t see the appeal of buying anything ‘factory made’ for a road bike for that type of money.

Depends what you want it for. For me, best tools for the job. Besides, the OP said money is no object, so price is not relevant 🙂

Yak

I reckon if you race, then you want the best tool for the job you can afford, regardless of whether it is ‘craft’ or factory. Obviously the ‘best tool’ can be endlessly debated. All other bikes else can be chosen for other reasons, like craftsmanship, brand history, aesthetics, your mate built it, etc.

BigDummy
    Free Member

In my stable, I currently have a quiver of 2 steeds:

Chromag Samurai65

SC Nomad (this one isn’t mine)

These, I would happily keep (with slight modifications if money were no object).

I would probably add:

Surly ECR

Donhou DSS2

BigDummy
    Free Member

I guess when I said money no object, I still meant ‘realistic’.

I am a middle-aged man with a family. I can’t really imagine spending more than £2500 to £3000 on a bike, even if I was a millionaire. Unless it was for someone else.

Never be embarrassed by this. 🙂

TiRed

Obviously four won’t be enough, but like Mrblobby;

Road : Propel SL0 dura ace di2
    Cross : TCX SL0 or the SS version
    MTB : Carbon Giant Anthem
    SS MTB : Niner carbon
    Training : Defy Advanced SL0
    TT : BMC Time machine does it for me!
    Track : Cervelo T4 and Mavic five spoke and disk
    Nice bike : Pegoretti Responsorium DA9000

The idea of “training” on my DA Giant Defy is a little profligate, but you said money is no object.

On a parts per pound basis, the track bike is by far the most expensive on that list.

thecaptain
    Free Member

“Up to four bikes”?

If I only had four, I woudn’t need a stable to keep them in. The garage and conservatory together have about 8 when I last counted (and could hold more if I wanted).

cokie

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What would you put in your stable?’ is closed to new replies.