Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What would you have done?
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

This is someone I know locally.

SORRY ITS DAILY WAIL

She doesn’t pay attention to what her kids are up to and is quite happy for others to watch while she sits on her ‘arris.
    Interestingly she had time to take photos and post them on facebook before the fire brigade arrived.
    Why on earth she called 999 I have no idea, I would have thought 101 would have been better.
    I think she should have been sent an invoice for the call out.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’m not clicking on Daily Mail link, but, ironically, I am happy to judge people – give me a summary.

Pigface
    Free Member

That is not an Oak tree.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrWoppit
    Free Member

“You got yourself up there – get yourself down.”

DezB
    Free Member

My guess, some woman’s 7 year old daughter got stuck in a tree, so she called the fire brigade rather than getting off her arse and helping her own child?
    I just hovered my mouse over the link 🙂

JEngledow
    Free Member

give me a summary

Kid climbs tree, gets stuck, Mum calls 999, Fire Brigade ‘rescue’ kid, Mum takes photos of the whole ‘ordeal’ and claims 15 seconds of fame in Daily Fail, we follow link posted on bike website and judge Mum!

daveagiles
    Free Member

Most sane Daily Mail article I have read in a while.

In brief. Mum and child go to park. Child climbs tree. Child says she is stuck. Mum thinks she is joking, takes a few photos. Child gets upset and really is stuck. Mum calls services to rescue her. Child lifted to safety by firemen. The End.

Not sure I see anything wrong with things as they are laid out in the article. 999 for the fire-brigade beats 999 for an ambulance when she tries to climb down/ panics and jumps.

Children have been climbing trees for years. I certainly did. Sometimes it went wrong. Thankfully we were always able to sort ourselves out.

As for paying for it, she already has. Well as long as she pays her council tax. Perhaps that the headline we will see next week. Tax dodging mum takes advantage of fire service to rescue child.

At least it wasn’t a cat…

binners

Shouldn’t she be on a Playstation, Shoveling crisps and sweets down herself? Trees indeed. Its not the 1950’s woman!!

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t think Playstations have quite made it to the Isle of Wight yet, binbins 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes they have, just waiting for the leccy now. 😆

bigyinn
    Free Member

Anyway it was more the point that if mother had actually bothered to pay attention to what her kids were doing, that the situation could have been avoided. IMO

Junkyard
    Free Member

I fail to understand why folk go out to do an activity then instead of doing said activity they update FB to tell us they are doing said activity
    If my child was stuck up a tree I would not be updating FB – imagine all the piss taking I would be missing out on 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

FB is all about telling the world about the most minute detail of one’s life. Even though the world doesn’t really give a toss that you’ve penne pasta a la arabiata.

plyphon
    Free Member

Darwinism evaded once again.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Whatever happened to “jump and i’ll catch you”?

JEngledow
    Free Member

Whatever happened to “jump and i’ll catch you if you fall and break your legs don’t come running to me”?

johndoh
    Free Member

Anyway it was more the point that if mother had actually bothered to pay attention to what her kids were doing, that the situation could have been avoided. IMO

So what would you have done? Not let her climb the tree? Let her climb the tree until an unspecified and incalculable position where the 7 yr old would then find themselves scared and stuck?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mehhhhhh….

I once ‘accidentaly’ set fire to my parents house and didn’t even make the Mail, must have been really slow for news over the weekend.

nealglover
    Free Member

balls. Kids should be doing stuff like that and learning from their mistakes. We all did when we were kids.

If parents watch and control every little thing that their kids do we raise a whole generation of people who’ve been wrapped in cotton wool all their lives and daren’t do anything outside there comfort zone

And there comfort zone is tiny, because they were never allowed to do anything.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Nowhere did I say they should have stopped them from climbing trees. My point being that a parent should be able to tell when their kid’s getting out of their depth. Anyways, I’d have been up there with them, tree climbing is excellent fun, even if I do occasionally get jelly legs!

Im constantly struggling to overcome my OHs paranoia regarding our son doing anything remotely risky.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Bravo for the parent who is not so over-protective to let her daughter climb trees and learn her limits. I too would have pointed, laughed and posted piccies on Facebook if it was my child 🙂 Granted calling the fire brigade would have been last resort, but if I felt it was necessary…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

My point being that a parent should be able to tell when their kid’s getting out of their depth

Assuming they’re watching every single second, which – as many of us are suggesting – is not actually that healthy or indeed practical.

DezB
    Free Member

I once ‘accidentaly’ set fire to my parents house and didn’t even make the Mail, must have been really slow for news over the weekend.

My brother did that too – tiny column in the local paper “Well done mum say firemen” (She closed the bedroom door where the fire was (my brother was out of the room by then)).

jon1973
    Free Member

Kid climbs tree, gets stuck, Mum calls 999, Fire Brigade ‘rescue’ kid, Mum takes photos of the whole ‘ordeal’ and claims 15 seconds of fame in Daily Fail, we follow link posted on bike website and judge Mum!

This story would have been much better if she’d have had 16 kids, living in a 8 bedroom council house, living on benefits and smoking 40 a day. The Daily Mail is really going down hill.

nealglover
    Free Member

My point being that a parent should be able to tell when their kid’s getting out of their depth

My mum would have thought I was out of my depth constantly as a kid.

Thank god she didn’t watch me every second of the day otherwise….

A) she would have had a nervous breakdown 7 times a week
    B) I would have ended up as one of those boring people who daren’t take risks or do anything exciting.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Assuming they’re watching every single second, which – as many of us are suggesting – is not actually that healthy or indeed practical.

Depends you are in a park they go can I climb that tree and you go yes then carry on on FB as its “impractical” to keep an eye on them.

Its clearly a balancing act between giving kids freedom to explore and supervising so they dont get hurt doing something stupid.

Taking a one thing or the other approach , though it is the STW way, is not that helpful.

I let my kids climb trees and ride bikes but we check out the tree first and avoid cycling down the dual carriageway at rush hour.

Its like there is some grey

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Taking a one thing or the other approach , though it is the STW way, is not that helpful.

I agree. I wasn’t suggesting black or white and don’t want to get embroiled in a debate over good/bad parenting, since of course my parenting is always going to be better than everyone else’s 🙂

Northwind

I’m not a parent so I’m probably not legally allowed to comment on anything to do with parenting as I won’t understand 😉 But, at 7 I would have had no bother at all getting myself stuck up a tree, in exactly this way- my dad would say “be careful” and keep an eye on me but he’d leave me to get on with things as far as is really possible. And in this way, I learned about not getting stuck up trees.

Mind you he would have got me to jump out of it after, she wasn’t that high!

bigyinn
    Free Member

After all young bones heal quickly.

johndoh
    Free Member

A friend of mine was at a softplay with her daughter the other day and the little girl fell and fractured her arm. Is she a better or worse mum than the one in the OP link?

After all, she was in a ‘safe’ environment yet the mother allowed her to break her arm – which is surely poorer mothering than getting the fire brigade out to rescue an uninjured child from a tree.

ski
    Free Member

As a parkie to a beautiful inner city park, steeped in local history, all I can say on this matter is, it does not surprise me.

99% of the people who come to the park I work in, are wonderful, considerate people. The other 1% (and yes I am generalizing) really need personal helpers, as they just don’t seem to have any common sense or decency at all!

Its my day off today, but last week I had a women trying to hand me her used sanitary towel to discard for her, even though she walked past a bin to give it to me!

A guy with a large crossbow shooting bolts into a 150 year old Oak from 50 yards away! He was not too happy when the police came and confiscated it!

I had two lost kids to deal with last week, one parent, properly worried and grateful that we had found her little one, the other parent was eventually found in the pub across a busy road! She did not seem to see what the issue was leaving a 4 year old unsupervised, in a splash pad for nearly an hour by herself, while she got bladdered!

I also had a nice guy wave a broken bottle in my face, when I politely asked him not to use the ladies toilets!

4 homeless guys who had been on the golden brown (I think) were trying to drag an unconscious friend across the park who had overdosed, they on the other hand were more than grateful for the assistance I gave them and were a joy to deal with, compared to some of the other people about in the park, who took joy in hurling abuse at them as we called for an ambulance and tried to help.

I have only 2 months left of this work contract, going to miss the work, as no two days are ever the same, but nothing surprises me anymore 😉

KonaTC

What would you have done?

Dropped to my knees and asked Jesus what he would do 8)

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What would you have done?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts