Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What would you have done?
  • Bregante

Just had a moral dilemma and wondered how the STW collective would have acted.

Me and Mrs B went to a well known discount warehouse on Friday and bought a new bed as they had 20% off in the sale.

Anyways over the weekend we had a re think and she decided that she still liked the old bed frame and we should keep it and just replace the mattress. I went back to the store today and explained the situation. They happily gave me a refund, (onto the Mrs’ card as she had paid in the first place). The bed and frame came to just over £1000 but I had not realised that the sale had ended and they ended up giving me over £1200 back on the card. They had even offered to give it to me in cash!

At that stage (genuinely) I had not realised their mistake. I had, after all given them the receipt showing exactly how much we had paid and I then bought a new mattress instead for considerably less money. This was no longer in the 20% off sale but still cheaper than elsewhere locally.

After the transaction I went to the cafe where I checked the receipts and realised the stores error. I’ve just spent half an hour at their customer services trying to give them back over £200 which became incredibly complicated and the manager gave me a lecture for falsely using my wifes bank card to obtain the refund in the first place!!!!

I politely suggested that as a reward for my honesty, they might consider doing the new mattress with the 20% off but this fell on deaf ears too.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Sorry, misread the question. Probably would have done exactly as you did. Have they got their cash back?

Jerome
    Free Member

Got undercharged in a restaurant the other day.
    Again did not realise until we left.
    What does a guy do ??

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d have pocketed the cash.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ve tried, I’d leave it, asking for a discount on the mattress is a bit cheeky!

ivantate
    Free Member

You did well to try and hand it back. In my book you should only offer once and you have already done that.

Not sure how it will be hidden or re-couped by them at the end of the month when balancing the books but who cares.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Stock write off, sales credit, it’s small beans really. Who cares though, free money.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Did you manage to give it back to them or not?

Bregante

Sorry yes all straight now. At first they tried to take ANOTHER £1200 off me and then give me a grand back, which would have made it all straight but I wasn’t sure the account had the funds. In the end I went to the cash point and withdrew 200 notes from a different account but left the shop feeling that somehow the shop manager Thought he had done me the favour!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Get your wife to sue them for accepting her bank card even though it was clearly being used by a man. They have a duty to make basic bank checks. Tell them you might drop the matter for another £1,200 and a free mattress

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would have told them about the mistake but as soon as they got arsey with me upped and left.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

as TJ says!! If they get chopsy or abusive when you are trying to be the “good citizen” I wouldn’t have patience to mess around with them.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Definitely a case of “disenchanted employee syndrome”!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Would have said nothing and then apologised for not realising if caught out – assuming they are a big chain. If a local shop with an actual owner tell the truth.
    I did this with B & Q and made 25% returning after the sale had ended – not intentionally but I did not say owt either

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What would you have done?’ is closed to new replies.