Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What would you do/ride with a week off work and cheap flights?
  • markyd

I’ve got the chance to take unpaid leave from work (we’re being encouraged! – British Airways, so guilt free) and I’m planning to escape for a week on my own, most likely in mid September (other half is away for a week so I’ve got a free pass there as well!).

I really wanted to go mountaineering in the alps or N.America, but it’s probably the wrong time of year and I’d really need a guide which would be v.expensive (note ‘unpaid’ leave). OR I go cycling. Working for BA I can get abroad cheap, so anywhere we fly is possible. I need to keep costs down, so bivy/YHA will be the order of the day. Hiring a bike and car is OK if I need to.

I’m considering;

taking road bike and Patriot to the Alps (but where?),
    riding LEJOG on the road bike
    riding as many scotish and welsh trail centres as I can fit into a week
    road bike and mtb in the lakes
    Haute route (or similar in the alps)
    Go to BC, Canada and ride stuff, possibly rockies on road bike or MTB (again, where?)
    Go to California and do some long distance road stuff
    Go to California and hike the John Muir trail.

any other suggestions?

LoulaBella
    Free Member

Hey!
    I know its not as far as the U.S but the Sierra Nevada mountains in Southern Spain are epic and amazing. Me and my other half went riding there a few weeks ago and it was amazing. Just to be riding in the sun whilst gazing ahead at snow capped mountains and navigating down dry river beds. Obviously a cold beer at the end of the day felt well earned and nearby Granada is the tapas capital of Spain. Plenty of fine free food on offer. I also went to a tradional arabic bath house a day or two after an 8 hour mammoth ride it did the muscles a power of good!
    Hope that helps!
    Lou x

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

LoulaBella did you go with an organised company? sounds like a top holiday!

chakaping
    Free Member

Might be worth getting this book…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Biking-Europe-Footprint-Activity/dp/190609831X

Plenty of food for thought.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go to Tunisia, leave the bike. Go and see El Djem and Kairouan. Truly the most influential places you may see. Go.

LoulaBella
    Free Member

Munqe-chick

Me and the hubby stayed in a family house near Granada (nice trad spanish village) but the riding was courtesy of ‘Ride Sierra Nevada’. They advertise in Single track thats how we found out about them. We just hired a couple of bikes and the owner Sean (top bloke) pointed out some rides and sweet single track up in the National Park. Really friendly and personal, we enjoyed some beer in the village with him post ride. Granada is an amazing city too. You can fly to Malaga from most airports, not so many fly to Granada, but its 1.5 hour drive from Malaga. Hope that helps
    Lou x

uplink
    Free Member

Fly into Denver, hire a car & start looking at some of the wonderful stuff Colorado has to offer

mugsys_m8

On the mountaineering front, not sure exactly what you’re after, but the last couple of years have seen great styrofoam like neve on popular snow routes such as the Eperon Migot on the Aiguille du Chardonnet and the routes on the tacul triangle etc in Mt. Blanc Massif Sept and Oct.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Go to Tunisia, leave the bike.

BURN HIM!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂

It’s too chuffing hot to ride out there! A truly amazing place, though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What would you do/ride with a week off work and cheap flights?’ is closed to new replies.