Viewing 9 posts - 161 through 169 (of 169 total)
  • What Would You Do? Turned Over By LBS content!!
  • hitman
    Free Member

The attitude of the bike shops on here just reinforces why I don’t use them and learnt to do it myself. If you have a good one then support it all you can, but most I’ve experienced don’t deserve my pity, let alone my money.

+1
    But as a few people have said, there are some real idiots on here who seem to be suggesting it’s the OP’s fault because he doesn’t build/repair his bikes himself! In this situation the bike shop should be offering at least a full refund and if I was the OP I wouldn’t use them again, and would possibly name and shame.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I feel for you as an ex-bike mechanic a bare minimum standard of work was not performed here and id hope you would try to get at least some of your money back there.

In regards to those saying if your an engineer then do it yourself then having worked near a large engine manufacturer the amount of ‘engineers’ we would see with half assed bodge jobs come in defied belief then again we used to see a retired engineer who scratch built his own electric recumbent bicycle with just about the best welding work i had ever seen. There are many different types of engineer and the skills are not always transferable however a person with a sound mechanical knowledge, patience and the correct tools should be able to do at least basic bike servicing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The attitude of the bike shops on here just reinforces why I don’t use them and learnt to do it myself. If you have a good one then support it all you can, but most I’ve experienced don’t deserve my pity, let alone my money.

The attitude and service I have received is second to none in 95% of the shops I have been into. Better than the service level in B&Q, Wicks, Halfords, Random Off License etc. In every industry there is bad. In LBS terms I mostly find good. In the end it’s a relationship, both have to be on the same page for it to work though.

oldgit
    Free Member

^^^^ +1

All the shops I know are superbe, in fact a Halfords in Wales went beyond the call of duty to help fix some SID’s that had failed mid ride.
    My local is fantastic, but more of a social club for me. He knows I buy online, but then I do all my own stuff.

special
    Free Member

The bike shop hasn’t handled this very well and certainly should ahve kept you in the loop but I do have a few queries:

1. You say the BOR cranks came with external cup BB? How is this ever going to fit a BB30 frame? The bearings in the cups will most likely be wrong. Is it possible the shop used the bearings form the external cups and had to fit them to the existing BB30 adaptor hence needing to enlarge the 24mm internal diameter to 30mm+ for your BB30 cranks?

2. When told the cranks won’t fit without spacers you have asked them to refit the old ones so you can race at the weekend but feel you shouldn’t have to pay for this extra labour even though it’s not their fault? I know they didn’t have BB30 spacers but many shops don’t keep spares for parts they never stock. Many people buy most of their kit mailorder these days so shops may only come across the need for spares once or twice a year at most.

3. Several posters state the bike should have been test ridden but if you haven’t taken in a complete bike and have asked for the calipers to be left loose and not setup then they can’t really do this can they?

As for bikes being more expensive than car servicing you guys all have very cheap cars with long service intervals. Just about any quality entry level tyre costs more than bike tyres, labour at garages are £55+VAT per hour or more with many main dealers being in excess of £100+VAt per hour.

I have a high performance sports car that I would say compares to a high performance MTB (rather than comparing a budget car to a high end bike). My tyres are £700+ for a set, brake pads are £220 for a set of good ones, discs are £300 all round. The car needs a minor service every 6k and major at £12k at a cost of £350 and £700 respectively.

A set of aftermarket Ohlins shocks are £2500 and need servicing every 12k at £600 for a set. How on earth is running a modern bike more than a car???

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How on earth is running a modern bike more than a car???

Because other wise the rant wouldn’t work!

special
    Free Member

Because other wise the rant wouldn’t work!

Ahhh OK, sorry I’m not up to speed on how this forum works 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I would comment, but I really can’t be a**ed to read a long-winded, ranty thread.

Carry on, as you were.

jambon
    Free Member

“… I could of done …”

Need I say more?

Viewing 9 posts - 161 through 169 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘What Would You Do? Turned Over By LBS content!!’ is closed to new replies.