Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • What would you do? (another parent at the school gate content)
  • edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

So, I regularly see a dad arriving slightly after 0900 dropping his preschool child off. The dad drives up to the gate with his lad sat on his lap in the driver’s seat. Then I see him drive off whilst using his mobile phone. Happens once a week. Since it’s always just after nine am and at one of the quieter entrances I’m the only one to see this happen.

What do people think about it?

theotherjonv

go up to him and tell him he’s being a dick?

sharkbait
    Free Member

He’s a moron. I’d give consideration to supplying info to the police …. they’re having a big crackdown on mobile use at the moment.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevied
    Free Member

Report to 101, for the child’s safety.
    Had a similar thing a while ago outside our house:
    We have a chip shop opposite ours, I was gardening and a mini-van pulls up with 6 kids (one adult) in. Looked like the parent was treating their child’s friends to chippy.
    4 kids in the back, 1 on the passenger seat, one on the drivers lap. Non of them were strapped in. I called 101 as I didn’t think it was safe and a car turned up pretty quickly but parked around the corner. Guy drives off with all the kids jumping around and one on his lap, gets pulled. Couple of minutes later a few other cars pull up, with angry looking parents, to pick up all bar one of the children.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

101 without a doubt.

wl
    Free Member

Report. Little time for people who knowingly put other’s lives at risk – their own kids or total strangers. And if he doesn’t know it’s dangerous, he shouldn’t be driving anyway.

slowoldman

Eeeh, I used to ride on the petrol tank of dad’s motorbike and sidecar…

bigyinn
    Free Member

No point speaking to the driver first.
    When was the last time you told a stranger ot to do something because of x,y,z and got a reasonable response, and not a sweary, bile filled threat of violence?
    101, go!

martinhutch

I trust he’s parking on the zigzags for maximum idiot points.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Confronting him bothers me because his lad is in the same year as my lad…so they’ve a good few years in class together… 🙁 can 101 be anonymous and taken seriously?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Sadly I suspect this is true. If you would actually reconsider your behaviour as a result of a stranger approaching you in the street and telling you what you’re doing wrong then I think you would be in a pretty small minority.

spawnofyorkshire

Eeeh, I used to ride on the petrol tank of dad’s motorbike and sidecar…

Was your dad texting at the same time 😉

OP: 101 him or crimestoppers.

How to report crime anonymously

If you want to report a crime, but you do not want to be identified to the police, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Crimestoppers will ask questions about the crime you have information on but will never ask questions about you. If you are at all concerned your call could be traced, reassure yourself by dialling 141 before 0800 555 111, which blocks your phone number. Or use a phone box – it’s free. Because Crimestoppers is an 0800 number, calls are free from a landline and don’t show up on a BT or cable phone bill.

Alternatively, you can report a crime anonymously with Crimestoppers online

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

If it happens every day, video it; send video to school & call 101.

fasthaggis

I trust he’s parking on the zigzags for maximum idiot points.

You just know this is true,sadly.
    I tried to explain to #muminarush(in a nice way) that she may pick up a few points if caught on the zigzags.She went full Mumsnet 🙄

allthegear
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem to be worrying DPD today…

Rachel

edit – it’s okay – he has his hazard warning lights on

surfer
    Free Member

it’s okay – he has his hazard warning lights on

Yep, same as the guy who overtook all the standing traffic on the hard shoulder of the M53 the other morning, flashy lights make it ok.

maccruiskeen

Confronting him bothers me

theres pretty much just two things that people will never take advice on – their driving and their parenting – so you’d be wasting your time.

maccruiskeen

Doesn’t seem to be worrying DPD today…

You’ll be seeing much worse in the coming months – DPD have changed their service – allowing each customer to choose when in the day parcels will arrive (rather than be given a 1hr window like before) – meaning drivers are going to zigzagging backwards and forwards across region rather than being able to plan their route, often driving straight past addresses that they’ll later have to come back to. They won’t have any more time to get those deliveries done or any compensation for the extra fuel. When christmas deliveries start its going to be a [rude word for mess] and illegal parking will be the least of it. Its a recipe for tragedy.

jimjam
    Free Member

maccruiskeen

Confronting him bothers me

theres pretty much just two things that people will never take advice on – their driving and their parenting – so you’d be wasting your time. [/quote]

Plus he’ll already have a “valid” reason on the tip of his tongue. Something along the lines of “I only see my kid once a week and he freaks out if he’s not close to me” and “I have to phone his mother immediately after I drop junior off because we’re going through a rough patch and she gets worried about him, plus she’s disabled and on medication for depression” etc etc etc.

theotherjonv

When was the last time you told a stranger ot to do something because of x,y,z and got a reasonable response, and not a sweary, bile filled threat of violence?

I said to one of the school mums about a week ago, that you aren’t allowed to stop on the zigzags. ‘Not even just to drop off?’ she said. No, not even said I.

Oh OK, she said.

Might not make a blind bit of difference but I didn’t get thumped.

We’re living in a time when we may need to start confronting people directly over all sorts of things. Time to start practising.

DezB
    Free Member

their driving and their parenting – so you’d be wasting your time.

Spot on.
    (Though I’d happily take advice on either cos I’m rubbish. I’m not worth dialling 101 for though.)

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

25 years ago I was working in a kids hospital in Oz. I had to help look after a 10 month old child who would never be able to walk because his mum tucked him under her seatbelt, then had a crash, in a country which was one of the first to have legislation about proper child seats and capsules. I found dealing with his mum difficult. I still think of him pulling himself along by his arms…

Report the bastard

jekkyl

did he have a neck tattoo?
    Don’t confront people with neck tattoos I’ve always found. 😐

Stoner
    Free Member

Though I’d happily take advice

your taste in music is shocking Dezb.
    I shall send you a list of popular beat combos you should try instead.

andyl
    Free Member

do it quickly as tomorrow he could crash into someone killing his child or someone else’s. No tolerance of idiocy like that.

johndoh
    Free Member

When I see cars parked on zigzags I take pictures and send them to the head teacher, who then passes them on to the police.

It must be working as the asshats that do it are getting fewer and fewer.

woody74

You should come to our primary school. I reckon about 1/4 of the kids being dropped off aren’t in car seats or are just running around the car. Used to live in the city and you rarely see children in cars without car seats. Now in the country and you see its loads in the school car park. What amazes me is that in the city you don’t get over 30 or 40 mph but in the country you would be hard pushed to keep under 30 or 40 mph. Any crash is going to be far far worse.

Cougar

When I see cars parked on zigzags I take pictures and send them to the head teacher, who then passes them on to the police.

I’m assuming yellow zig-zags outside a school? It’s worth checking that the ‘no stopping’ signs are present; without them they’re not legally enforceable (and with them it’s a fine and points if the police get involved). If the signs aren’t there get on to the council to get them fitted, then you can shop the buggers.

somouk
    Free Member

You’ll be seeing much worse in the coming months – DPD have changed their service – allowing each customer to choose when in the day parcels will arrive (rather than be given a 1hr window like before) – meaning drivers are going to zigzagging backwards and forwards across region rather than being able to plan their route, often driving straight past addresses that they’ll later have to come back to. They won’t have any more time to get those deliveries done or any compensation for the extra fuel. When christmas deliveries start its going to be a [rude word for mess] and illegal parking will be the least of it. Its a recipe for tragedy.

It’s a bit more complex than that and the timed deliveries will be done by a different crew most likely.

For the OP there is little you can do, you can try 101 but ultimately I doubt the police will take it seriously. The best option may be to ask them to come and do some parking enforcement, they are keen on that in my area and will have a bobbie and a PCSO stand outside the school ticketing all the cars parked illegally.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

there’s pretty much just two things that people will never take advice on – their driving and their parenting – so you’d be wasting your time.

At my kids school the local bobbies pay a visit every so often and just stand the junction which leads to the school – they catch many kids too young to be in the front, lots of no seatbelts and tons of mobile phone addicts. Thing is it get done in front of the whole school so causes a great deal of embarrassment and in the worst cases of today’s arsehole entitlement brigade; I am a parent and driver belated self righteous indignation.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

they catch many kids too young to be in the front

That should be tricky one to enforce, as there is no specific rule…

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m assuming yellow zig-zags outside a school?

Nope, white – just checked back through the pictures I sent to the school. Not sure on the signs though – I would need to check on that.

What astounds me is that there are more than one huge sign by the crossing telling people not to park there yet people ignore them, seemingly thinking that the signs don’t say ‘Don’t park on zig-zags because it is dangerous and selfish’ but ‘Don’t park on zig-zags because they are reserved for X, Y & Z to park their cars on because they are too damn lazy to walk a little further to school’

theotherjonv

That should be tricky one to enforce, as there is no specific rule…

There is a height based one; under 12 and under 135cm you have to use a childseat. Above either and you don’t. So while there isn’t specifically a rule about too young to be in the front; if they’re too young there’s also a reasonable probability that they’re too short, in which case they can be nabbed for not being in a seat. And if they are in a seat which then has a probability of being a more reasonable parent, there’s also a probability they’ll be in the back where it’s safer for them.

bearnecessities

If his phone is that important at that time, regularly, he’s clearly texting his bit of stuff on the side at the first opportunity of the day.

Take photos, find his missus, present photos of him endangering junior, and of course comfort missus.

Then clean up, make her a tasty lunch and enjoy never seeing him around school gates any time soon.

gerti
    Free Member

Report him for mobile phone use while driving.

A stupid old bag reversed out of our neighbors driveway while on her phone and nearly wiped out my kids on their bikes. I wish I’d reported her.

maccruiskeen

they catch many kids too young to be in the front,

Is there a rule for that? – lots of cars don’t have back seats.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’d be all for having a word first. People should stand up for principles of decency regardless of the consequences.

“Hey mate, it’s dangerous to drive using your phone. This is our kids’ school. Can you not do that.”

How he reacts is his responsibility, not yours.

theotherjonv

+1

as I said before, we are entering a period when we might have to challenge our neighbours behaviours over a variety of things. It isn’t easy, we’ve grown up in an era when tsk’ing under our breath and now maybe a call to 101 or the noise abatement officer on the anonymous line seems to be the way to do it.

There are some nasty attitudes bubbling under the surface out there, along with these ingrained behaviours such as mobile phone use when driving. It’s up to us to make it unacceptable, simply shaking a head and walking by won’t cut it any more.

Doesn’t have to be a confrontation – whether you then have to report it depends on his attitude, not yours.

jimjam
    Free Member

hebdencyclist

I’d be all for having a word first. People should stand up for principles of decency regardless of the consequences.

“Hey mate, it’s dangerous to drive using your phone. This is our kids’ school. Can you not do that.”

theotherjonv – Member

+1

as I said before, we are entering a period when we might have to challenge our neighbours behaviours over a variety of things.

These are fine sentiments and I agree 100% in principal. Unfortunately we’ve drifted into a society where challenging any stranger on anything (even something blatantly illegal) is taken as a deep insult.

How he reacts is his responsibility, not yours.

Doesn’t have to be a confrontation – whether you then have to report it depends on his attitude, not yours.

As Ray said to Sly, “being right is not a bulletproof vest Freddie”. It has been my experience that regardless of the issue being brought up whether it’s dog shit on the footpath or parking in disabled bays and so on people already have an excuse.

Be prepared for a potentially horrible and massively disproportionate reaction.

steveoath
    Free Member

Shop him to the head. If there’s someone dropping off kids and potentially endangering them and others that would come under the school’s health and safety remit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘What would you do? (another parent at the school gate content)’ is closed to new replies.