Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What would the Singletrackworld man do? Nikon Lens content.
  • PePPeR

I have a quandary.

I bought a Nikon 18-200 lens quite cheaply from eBay as it was listed with a scratch on the lens.

It arrived in a Jiffy bag with the UV filter smashed to bits and I had to get the filter mount thread straightened.

The seller gave me some money back for a replacement UV filter, all is good.

Today I get an email asking a favour.

He had posted me the wrong lens and now either wishes to swap lenses around or for me to send it back and he’ll refund me the money.

What would you do?

JohnnyPanic

He sent you a Nikon 18-200 lens with no scratch and wants to swap it for one that has a scratch?

and

How long ago was this?

PePPeR

4 months ago, I thought, the scratch had been on the UV filter, so I’d thought the seller was a muppet and once a new filter was on I was happy.

Tiger6791

actually who knows

matt_outandabout

4months ago?

Stinks of rip-off and con to me.

The seller can jog on.

geoffj

4 months ago

😯

Jog + On

4 days maybe

twicewithchips
    Free Member

“yeah, i’d love to mate, only problem is I sold it on the other week”

PePPeR

My thoughts too, I feel for him a little, and if he’d sent the lens carefully packaged and notified me earlier I would have accepted.

But now it’s too late, it’s a great lens BTW. Especially for £122 😀

ampthill

Sounds like a genuine mistake. But as you’ll expose yourself to risk and the mistake isn’t use yours I wouldn’t loose sleep over it. How much do you think you saved buying a scratched one?

ampthill

£122 I see the problem!!!

But I still think its his problem

Cougar

Four months is a long old time to realise you’ve put the wrong thing in a box. Nothing good will come of this.

What lens is he proposing to send you instead, presumably you received what you’d bought?

“Actually, I’m glad you’ve got back in touch, because of the damage in transit it stopped working a week after I got it sorted out so I threw it away. Can I have my money back please?”

EDIT: not put it in a box, because you’re a gibbon.

Cougar

as you’ll expose yourself to risk

ISWYDT.

Cougar

Sounds like a genuine mistake.

A genuine mistake is “where’s that other lens… oh shit!” and an email the next day. Four months down the line isn’t a genuine mistake unless you have the mental capacity of a grape.

Cougar

Oh, and,

Women are photographers too. #EverydaySexism

CHB

Anyone with two 18-200 lenses to sell is a trader. So definitely jog on. The 18-200 is a good lens (I have one), but no pro would have this, and no amateur would have more than one to sell.

PePPeR

I did think about the male in the title but I wasn’t sure whether it would fit in the whole title due to length limits and knew someone would bite.. 😀

slowoldgit
    Free Member

This old cynic wonders if perhaps the lens wasn’t rightfully his, and the real owner would like it back.

Cougar

new someone would bite

Shithead. (-:

This old cynic wonders if perhaps the lens wasn’t rightfully his, and the real owner would like it back.

I once had someone pull this on me (outside of t’Internet). I was repairing (yeah ok, chipping) Playstations, he brought three to me in quick succession and along the way he’d managed to ‘mislay’ (I assume, sell) one and was then bouncing two units between three owners. Turned up on my doorstep one day with an angry “customer.” Fortunately, my memory was better than his stories.

People.

ampthill

I can really imagine scratching a beloved lens and then buying a replacement then accidentally selling the replacement. Then not noticing until for some reason I took the filter off…

PePPeR

Ampthill, it seems that’s pretty much what he did, I’ve just seen his eBay purchases, he bought a replacement, put his old one on eBay and then sent me the replacement one.

He paid £85 for the scratched one tho, so he’d thought he’d made money from the sale to me.

Never mind. It isn’t going anywhere.

kerley
    Free Member

If I were to bother replying to them I would use the line that I have already sold it on as suggested above.

stumpy01

Tried it, didn’t like it and so sold it on, mate. Soz.

As above, if I’d got that e-mail after perhaps a day to a week I would go with it; you refund me & then I’ll return it….

But after 4 months. Jog on…

Cougar

I can really imagine scratching a beloved lens and then buying a replacement then accidentally selling the replacement. Then not noticing until for some reason I took the filter off…

It’s highly unlikely that a scratch on the outer optic would make a fig of difference to anything. They can take a quite remarkable amount of damage and still take perfect photos. (Which is why the UV filter is usually a waste of money.)

PePPeR

I’d already used the I’ve sold it on, it cut the conversation dead which was easiest.

I normally use olympus 4/3 and am never bothered by scratches on the outer lens and in fact just sold a Leica Summicron with the biggest crack I’ve ever seen and it still sold for £400. I used it for years and it never caused a problem with the images I took.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What would the Singletrackworld man do? Nikon Lens content.’ is closed to new replies.