Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 233 total)
  • What would it take for their to be a revolution in the UK?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

The Tories are not seeming at all popular at present, so this raises the question – what would be needed for there to be e revolution?

I suspect that it would need a radical change away from apathy in the general public.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

We’d need to have a real reason for an uprising, but we don’t.

Pigface
    Free Member

If it didn’t happen in the early 80’s it will never happen.

derek_starship
    Free Member

The misuse of THERE and THEIR could tip me over….

Rorschach
    Free Member

Beeter speeling tort at skool.

egb81
    Free Member

A change of tone and content in the media rather than just blithe acceptance and repetition of lies and half truths.

rene59
    Free Member

The general population are way to comfortable for there to be a revolution anytime soon. There would need to be a significant change in employment levels, cost and standard of living before then. Either that or an imminent world war which could be avoided by some mass population direct action.

nowthen
    Free Member

it would affect property prices to much

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, Pol Pot started a culling revolution when he tried to change his surrounding into his idealistic “paradise”.

Ya, revolution … do you have guns? No guns no revolution.

You want to turn the place into shite hole?

🙄

wanmankylung
    Free Member

You want to turn the place into shite hole?

The place is a shite hole.

oldnpastit

High levels of immigration to rural parts of the country, an overbearing bureaucratic european union hell bent on centralization of power in Brussels, high levels of rural unemployment, a perceived distance from a semi-corrupt Westminster body politic, a right wing demagogue and a nationalist, independent, jingoistic political party to bring it all together. Should do the trick provided they’re not too incompetent. Oh, wait…

chorlton
    Free Member

Quite nice where I live.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What would it take for their to be a revolution in the UK?

A call by United States for regime change.

project
    Free Member

A ban on all soaps, eg emerdale, eastenders, brokside, hollyoaks, neighbours, casulty, holby city would bring all the women close to riot

And for the men banning audis and Bmws, from the outside lane of motorways, and hondas from the middle lane which they pay extra to drive in at 60mph.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Care to elaborate?

Quite nice where I live.

+1 Glorious walk around the Surrey Hills this morning – hard to imagine anywhere better!

pk13

No TV or cheap beer would send the masses into a frothy Starbucks style protest.
    In real life? A huge push into a federal euro zone with power handed over to non elected drones might just do.

irc

If it didn’t happen in the early 80’s it will never happen.

Agreed. Scargill’s best efforts weren’t enough. We had the right Prime Minister at the right time.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Care to elaborate?

I think he lives in Scotland.

the-muffin-man

Are any of the political parties popular?

I don’t see any of them getting good press at the minute.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh, the never satisfied brigade 😉

Should nip up to East Neuk it’s all getting rather exciting there

Voter apathy? Highest voting since 1997
    Tories unpopular? Against expectations won a majority

WMK – what next????

deviant
    Free Member

The Tories are not seeming at all popular at present, so this raises the question – what would be needed for there to be e revolution?

Haha, seriously?….some people really are still reeling from the election result arent they?!

We have a decent level of free education to A-levels in this country, free Uni stuff would mean more taxes and lots of the electorate dont want to pay more tax.

We have fairly low crime levels and murder rates far lower than countries like the US with their ‘freedom’ gun laws that supposedly allow the population to rise up ready in ‘revolution’….

We have an NHS which can be frustrating at times when waiting for routine stuff but if you smash yourself up in an RTC, suffer a heart attack etc it swings into action and preserves life as well as any other health provider in the world.

We have loads of forestry commission land, national trust, MOD and common land available to walk, ride and run on.

We have a temperate climate with an absence of tornadoes, earthquakes etc…

We arent exactly struggling for food, quite the opposite as despite the media hysteria over food banks we actually have an obesity crisis.

Fuel is relatively cheap….i know this winds up the greenies….but the alternative is you tax the hell out of petrol/diesel and freedom of movement then becomes the preserve of the wealthy….hardly a good way to create a more equal society.

Yes, lots of stuff in this country needs improving but it would take more tax or diverting existing funds from current projects which would upset those areas having funds taken from them to be put elsewhere…

…and as someone else above alluded to, we actually have it quite safe, comfortable and cheap in this country when compared to somewhere else you could be born.

Given that we are a small island with limited natural resources our quality of life is quite remarkable, the general humour, work ethic and resourcefulness of the British never fails to amaze me….we seem to muddle on in a (generally) successful manner no matter which party is in government, i like that….its almost like we govern ourselves, you know like a mature grown up country usually does…no need for revolutions here.

gordimhor

nationalist, independent, jingoistic political party to bring it all together

Yep describes the torys to a t

Three_Fish
    Free Member

For people to care about something other than themselves. Humans are selfish, and thus extraordinarily easy to deceive and coerce. Also, people need to stop deferring their conscience to religions, politicians, media and celebrities.

You’re confusing social change with military conflict. I suppose another thing we need for revolution is for people like you to keep right out of it. Just watch how the grown-ups do it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If there are those who genuinely think the UK is a shite hole need to get out and spend time in other countries – and I don’t just mean on their tourist beaches and idylls. I wonder what other country they think is better than the UK on the balance of everything? They all have their pro’s and con’s – mostly con’s relative to the UK. It’s not perfect, but nowhere will ever be. Get over it and get a bit more ‘glass is half full’ instead of ‘glass is half empty’.

Drac

We have an NHS which can be frustrating at times when waiting for routine stuff but if you smash yourself up in an RTC, suffer a heart attack etc it swings into action and preserves life as well as any other health provider in the world.

Make the most of that while you can.

brooess
    Free Member

Take a look through history and look at the conditions that were in place last time we had a revolution…

tpbiker
    Free Member

If there are those who genuinely think the UK is a shite hole need to get out and spend time in other countries

well said….

mt
    Free Member

are all those desperate folk at Calais trying to get here to start the revolution because the place is so bad?

slowoldman

The place is a shite hole

If you really want to see shite, start a revolution.

ski
    Free Member

Switch off SKY?

tthew

If there are those who genuinely think the UK is a shite hole need to get out and spend time in other countries – and I don’t just mean on their tourist beaches and idylls. I wonder what other country they think is better than the UK on the balance of everything?

Bang on. It’s brilliant going abroad on holiday for a couple of weeks, but if you had to live there all the time you’d still be paying taxes, dealing with local healthcare, transport and all the other shit that pisses you off in the UK, just in a sunnier location.

MoreCashThanDash

It would require internet keyboard warriors to put down their hazelnut macchiatos and get off their arses.

I’m not buying shares in guillotines any time soon…..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Humans are selfish, and thus extraordinarily easy to deceive and coerce.

Actually humans aren’t selfish. It’s one of the principle reasons why humans have been successful. You would struggle to find another species of mammals as selfless as humans.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Actually humans aren’t selfish. It’s one of the principle reasons why humans have been successful.

Humans are never selfish?

scandal42
    Free Member

The thought of a revolution in this country is utterly hilarious.

We will bend over and take pretty much anything that’s dished out. On the whole we are a passionless lot with very little fire in our bellies.

MoreCashThanDash

On the whole we are a passionless lot with very little fire in our bellies.

Unless you spill my pint 👿

footflaps

Living standards are way too high for a revolution. You’d need real hunger / repression on a mass scale for a revolution.

piemonster

I think he lives in Scotland.

Dunno which part, the bit I’m in is a really nice place to live. Plenty of really interesting and rewarding jobs going in my industry sector too. Even with my limited experience!!

Was having a really good blether with some Angus locals near Carnoustie on the coastal path today. They also really like where they live. Come to think of it, I don’t know many people (in real life) in Scotland who don’t actually think it’s a nice place to live.

chewkw
    Free Member

Three_Fish – Member

You’re confusing social change with military conflict. I suppose another thing we need for revolution is for people like you to keep right out of it. Just watch how the grown-ups do it. [/quote]

Ya, unfortunately my understanding of the word “revolution” is always associated with guns like Pol Pot. Ya, I doubt I will join in unless the street is full of ZMs trying to harm me that forces me to find something to defend myself.

However, I always wonder why people don’t use poo/turd/human excrement as weapons by throwing at ZM bureaucrats? … I mean by getting the message to them by telling they stink to high heaven with their policy. Put it this way by throwing poo at those ZM you might create good for people as someone will have to clean the shite out out of their clothing.

How about throwing bags of poo at the riot police instead of confronting them head on? Throw the poo then run like hell. Nobody get hurts but the whole place will stink to high heaven … 😆 Just remember not to get the poo on yourself.

Personally, I would like to throw poo at those unelected ZMs … imagine their clothing are dripping with running poo … yaaccckkk … 😆

The slogan should be:

“Poo for change!”

“Poo for revolution!”

edit: try bagging poo … not as easy as you thought. I used to dog walk for my friend and everytime I picked up the poo it was like warm-ish … hmmm …

edit edit: seriously, try using poo instead … that will definitely attract attention. It will be big news!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

chain broke ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 233 total)

The topic ‘What would it take for their to be a revolution in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.