Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What would I be better with full sus 27.5 or 27.5+
  • mtbcowboy
    Free Member

I am considering getting a new full suspension bike.

I think I prefer the standard 27.5″ wheel size rather than 27.5+ as I don’t really need or want 2.8″ tyres. Looking at the latest Trek Fuel Ex range they have stopped doing the ‘standard’! 27.5″ wheeled model as the new fuel ex has 110/148 OLN and 27.5 x 2.8″ tyres. Maybe I should get another brand that still does the bike with 27.5 x 2.3″ size wheel/tyres.

What I don’t want to do is buy something that suddenly becomes out of date. So my question is which wheel size 27.5 or 27.5+ would be best to get, as now Trek is doing the boost 110/148 on the Fuel Ex so I don’t want a bike with 27.5 wheels where the hub size/frame will go out of date.

What a ball ache this is.

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Buy the bike you like, considering I can still buy any flavour of Maxxis 26″ rubber that I want and rims to match I don’t think picking a standard 27.5 bike will put you at a disadvantage.

On top of that good hubs adapt (you can still get 135mm QR hopes etc.) so worrying too much about that stuff is probably not an issue either.

iainc

These days most are out of date within 6 months anyway. What suits your riding ? Plus generally gets accolades on dryish and bumpy stuff and is less good in sloppy winter muddy stuff. I nearly bought a plus last year (Genesis Tarn) but got talked out of it by folk who have them and felt less good for the type of manky winter stuff I was looking at.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    moonsaballoon

Pretty standard response but try a few at a test ride . I went to a demo day last week and rode a scott genius with plus tyres and it was great fun , so much grip but i only rode it round a trail center type loop , i am building up a plus hardtail as an alternative to my 27.5 full suss trail bike as i think they will be good at different things . Not sure i would want a plus as my only bike but it depends on your type of riding .

mtbcowboy
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice I will try and ride a few demo bikes. I think I will be better with the normal 27.5. I was concerned that they were trying to make the 27.5 bikes out of date by bringing out the 27.5+.

Northwind

I had a dabble at Plus, imo it’s bollocks for a full suss. Might be good in a hardtail, never tried that. 27.5 isn’t going anywhere but it looks like we might be past peak Plus soon, the new cool thing is 2.6.

The Fuel Ex though is both 29er and Plus in one, so even if Plus goes nicheward (and I bet 20 scottish pence it does), it’ll still be a totally current and kick-ass 29er.

Boost is bollocks too but it’s inescapable sadly so you’ve just got to suck that one up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What would I be better with full sus 27.5 or 27.5+’ is closed to new replies.