Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What would happen if?
  • andrewh
    Free Member

An imaginary scenario.
    The Queen has died and King Charles is on the throne.
    The Duchess of Cambridge (or the Princess of Wales as she would then be) announces that she is pregnant.
    King Charles and Prince William are both killed in a plane crash.
    Who would be the next monarch, Harry, or the as yet unborn child (presumably with a regent in place until the birth, and probably for some time after that)?
    Would it make any difference if Charles is killed instantly, but William survives for a couple of days (and so is King) but then dies of his injuries?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

too much time on your hands mate

druidh
    Free Member

I presumed a monarch has to be “Crowned” for it to be official.

I don’t think an unborn child can assume the throne – what if it dies before birth?

Rorschach
    Free Member

If you went outside and lay down on your back with your mouth open, how long would you have to wait until a bird pooped in it?
    :0)

matt_outandabout

Who would be the next monarch

Cougar

Heston Blumenthal?

andrewh
    Free Member

I presumed a monarch has to be “Crowned” for it to be official.

I don’t think a corronation actually has to take place, this can be (and usually is) ages after the previous monarch has died, nearly a year in the case of our current queen for example

I don’t think an unborn child can assume the throne

That’s the question. It is Williams’s heir after all. Or is it? Maybe BenHoldsworth is right…

Rorschach
    Free Member

What would happen if you were to gather a mole(unit of measurement) of moles (the small furry critter) in one place?
    :o(

druidh
    Free Member

From direct.gov.uk

Born in 1926 (the great-great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria), Elizabeth became Queen at the age of 25, on the death of her father, King George VI. She is the 40th monarch since William the Conqueror.
    Elizabeth II was crowned on 2 June 1953 in Westminster Abbey, despite having acceded to the throne on 6 February 1952 when her father died. British law states that the throne is not left ‘vacant’ and therefore the new monarch succeeds the old monarch immediately. The official coronation usually takes place months later, as it’s considered a happy occasion and not appropriate for the period of mourning.

So – it would be Harry.

andrewh
    Free Member

If they were in one big heap it would be a mole hill! 😆
    [EDIT] Good answer Druidh. Bet the baby would be a bit miffed when it found out how close it was to being King.

falkirk-mark

The unborn child, Harry isn’t Charlies.

matt_outandabout

😆

Smudger666

According to Sir Terence of Pratchett……

The only things known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Weedle. He reasoned like this: you can’t have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir *instantaneously*. Presumably, he said, there must be some elementary particles — kingons, or possibly queons — that do this job, but of course succession sometimes fails if, in mid-flight, they strike an anti-particle, or republicon. His ambitious plans to use his discovery to send messages, involving the careful torturing of a small king in order to modulate the signal, were never fully expanded because, at that point, the bar closed.

fasthaggis

Op, Have you been stuck inside all day? 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

Nope, been out on the road bike for 4hrs.
    I actually thought of the question last night while stuck in the garage. I also invented a new kind of roof-truss and radically improved DI2 in my head while I was there.

stuey
    Free Member

Rorschach a mole of moles wouldn’t fit inside a hollowed out ‘Earth’
    < quick back of a cider bottle calc>

andrewh
    Free Member

But if you were to hollow out the earth then a mole of moles would be ideal diggers

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – have you been talking with Kaesae?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

What would happen if you were to gather a mole(unit of measurement) of moles (the small furry critter) in one place?
    :o(

I love XKCD it’s one of my most favoritest things.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Why? do you have something planned?

deus

while they wouldn’t fit into a hollowed out Earth, they would weigh only 1% of the mass of the Earth (before it was hollowed out)

How’d you work out the volume of a mole?

I hope you didn’t work it out from the weight of water it displaces when full submerged as that’d be quite cruel!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You could estimate it using an average flesh and bone density.

stuey
    Free Member

What if the moles had there trouser pockets full of excavated earth?

ononeorange

There’d definitely be a crown race in that scenario.

No idea if there’d be a headset though.

zippykona

Does any of this scenario mean that Kate is free and single again?
    She would be in with a chance if she pops by my house.

andrewh
    Free Member

Were that scenario to happen she would be sort of single, technically widowed, but also pregnant with someone else’s child.
    Does she know where you live?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What would happen if?’ is closed to new replies.