Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What would cause hip pain, but only on turbo not regular rides.
  • muppetWrangler
    Free Member

My niece just asked me why she her hip hurts when she’s using the turbo and I’m looking for any potential causes to check and sort if possible, before involving anybody else.

She’s using the same bike for road rides and the turbo trainer, saddle height unchanged, but doesn’t seem to have any issues on regular rides. She is using a block under the front wheel (for turbo) so she shouldn’t be tilted unnaturally forward, and she’s currently using trainers and pedal cages rather than spd’s. Her typical sessions are quite short 30-40 minutes 3 times a week for the last few weeks.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what might be causing the hip pain?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

saddle? she probably moves around a lot more when on a ride, whereas a turbo is 40 minutes in the same position

buck53

How much does she ride out of the saddle on the road? Being sat down for the whole session might be putting extra strain on. Other than that maybe an issue of too high a cadence when on the turbo?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muppetWrangler
    Free Member

She rarely rides out of the saddle, claims that she doesn’t have ‘those’ muscles 😕

My initial thought was that she was stuck in the same position too much, but then I assume that if this is the case then her normal riding position is less than ideal and would need to be adjusted.

RustySpanner

Has she got her keys in her pocket?

To be serious, I get the same thing.
    I reckon it’s due to not moving as much.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Other than that maybe an issue of too high a cadence when on the turbo?

or too low. I get loads of weird issues on the turbo – mostly related to not moving around enough.

glupton1976
    Free Member

She may be gently rocking the bike side to side as she’s pedalling on the road. The turbo would be stopping this motion from happening.

Saddle in the wrong position?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

saddle too high? Rocking your hips?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

i do wonder if she’s doing something different since she’s been using the turbo on her own. She used to borrow the trainer at our house and i would encourage her throughout the session and generally beast her when she started slacking off so I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s adopted some bad habits now that there’s nobody around to pick up on them.

Maybe we could incorporate a small period of standing in the recovery portion between sets, just to force a change of position.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

She may be gently rocking the bike side to side as she’s pedalling on the road. The turbo would be stopping this motion from happening.

I thought the saddle height was OK but I’ll definitely check it again, as this reason would make perfect sense.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Just found out that she’s trying to maintain a cadence of 100 throughout the session. Although good if you can do it does this strike anyone as a bit high for someone with relatively limited cycling experience? Could it lead to being a little out of control and bouncing in the saddle maybe?

Not sure how bouncing in the saddle becomes hip pain but the cadence is the only thing i can see that she’s changed recently.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What would cause hip pain, but only on turbo not regular rides.’ is closed to new replies.