• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What would cause – alfine 8 stiff going into harder gear.
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

8 speed alfine on a versa shifter .

Cables were sweet as a nut on saturday and are full stainless inner shimano sp41 outer full length

Mrs is up touring on the north west near kinlochbervie and i get a call saying the shifters really stiff when going for a hard gear.- she says it just instantly happened, i

Any ideas , she knows how to adjust the tension and check the yellow lines but assures me all thats lined up and that its not missing or slipping , its going into gear its just bloody hard work on the shifter do it.

Im at a loss , not something ive ever seen before , my default position would be new cables if i hadnt checked them out on saturday.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Definitely user error. 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

…., takwando or not she will kick your arse george.

alexpalacefan

Something has changed, the answer may lie in finding out what.

So, ask the missus if anything has happened, or if she’s changed anything on the bike.

I’m thinking something maybe restricting or altering the cable run in some way.

Or, something restricting the movement of the ring as the gears change, grass et c. wrapped up in there?

Good luck,

APF

trail_rat
    Free Member

To quote dave gorman , “its like trying to teach your gran to record something on the vcr over the phone , knowing your gran doesnt have a vcr but she does have a cream cake”

She knows about bikes – enough to get her by in events and “get me home”

I have a smeaking suspicioun that as you say somethings jammed the actuator at the back and the cable heads come out at the shifter and jammed in the mechanism.

So i have asked her to unhook the cable and pull on it while going through the whole gear range on the shifter.

Will see what i get back.

scotroutes

Touring? Bar bag or similar fitted and maybe affecting cable run?

trail_rat
    Free Member

nah no bar bag on this tour scotroutes – they were staying in bulkhouses so with 48 litre panniers they were pretty well catered for. – ullapool to kinlochbervie on the coast FYI.

I got her to unhook the cable and pull on it while cycling it through the gears at the shifter – it then free’d off.

So im betting the cable heads come out at the shifter and got trapped between the ratchet and shifter body.

kcal

could they have been – as I think you’re suggesting – detached / mis-aligned overnight, and cable run is all to pot in the morning? Nudged when parked up / retrieval at bunkhouse..?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have no idea kcal – they are back home tomorrow , will run a new cable to be sure to be sure.

JoeG
    Free Member

^ Are you sure? 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What would cause – alfine 8 stiff going into harder gear.’ is closed to new replies.