Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • What won't you let go of as MTB technology advances?
  • I’ve got carbon, a dropper, long travel forks, 150mm rear suspension, short stem, wide bars (high rise though). I suppose my next bike will probably have 650b – not fussed either way with that one.

I’m clinging onto tubes though for now – never tried tubeless, just haven’t got round to the faff.

The big one for me is a triple chainset – until I get to try/can afford 1 x 11 and find myself convinced, the triple is staying for me.

So which bit of your bike does the luddite cling on to?

scotroutes

Handlebars

Haha 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Gone to
    Carbon
    Wide Bars (a long time ago)
    Back to single ring after my first go in 09
    Shorter travel rear
    Tubeless
    Dropper post
    the right tyres
    Sealed cartridge bearings in my wheels
    Twist Shift

The only thing I seem to be hanging onto is a rear mech.

kiwijohn

Rigid seatpost.

racefaceec90

26″ wheels

cane creek ergo bar ends

RustySpanner

26 inch wheels.
    Triple crankset.
    Hardtails.

I don’t agree with the use of the words ‘Luddite’ or ‘advances’, both of which imply that the alternatives are in some way better. 🙂

Anyway, here’s a song about Ned – It sounds better on vinyl. 😀
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD1WU3BUSE[/video]

psling
    Free Member

My money 😕

Rorschach
    Free Member

Pedaling

rOcKeTdOg

Charge spoon, Comfiest saddle I’ve ever used

parkesie
    Free Member

I started out on a 90mm travel alu hardtail and have gone full circle back to a 90mm alu hardtail after something like 15 years.

hebridean
    Free Member

bar ends – arthritis in hands means a regular change of position is needed

triple – had the choice on a new bike build recently but worried that I might need the granny (turns out I hardly use it!)

Houns

26″
    Triple chainset

leffeboy

steel

wordnumb
    Free Member

Handlebars

Dude, wait ’till you try clinging to handlebar grips. They bring the trail so alive.

For me it’s 26″ wheels.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Fixed seatpost.

Singlespeed.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Blimey, I thought I was the only person to have Bob Calvert vinyl LP’s.

thepurist

I’m with Rorschach – I’ll be working for my descents for as long as my legs have what it takes to grind me up a hill.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

120mm stem
    580mm bars
    Purple bar ends
    DCD chain device
    Steel forks
    1.9″ tyres

Everything else is a marketing conspiracy by the bike industry and the corrupt media to help keep them rich and you poor.

Colin-T

26″
    Square taper BB
    bars as wide as my shoulders not 800mm monstrosities
    Hope C2 disk brakes
    Non-dropper seat post

fr0sty125
    Free Member

2 wheels, pedals and handlebars.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Hite Right

Joke

cliffyc
    Free Member

Clipless pedals,totally improved riding a bike for me.They would be the last thing I would give up.

GEDA
    Free Member

Cables. Do not like the idea of needing batteries or the extra chance of something expensive breaking.

A normal seatpost. On the right ride an uppy downy post is good but again do not like the fact that it is something else to go wrong, they are expensive and heavy and I don’t mind peddling standing up.

gears_suck
    Free Member

The act of letting go opens up endless possibilities. If you can’t let go. You can’t move forward.

BadlyWiredDog

Cake.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

comfy saddle

traildog
    Free Member

Nothing – I’m happy to try different things and if they are an improvement then I embrace them. So many people seem to thing that there are big evil companies trying to force things on us, where as many things I think are improvements (and I used to regularly kill square taper bottom brackets).

Tubeless is so much better than tubed that I’d never use tubes again, except emergencies. I’ve just gone to dropper post and I think it’s the biggest advancement ever! I’ve been single ring when I was running 9 speed – a compromise but 10 speed improves things a bit.
    I do run flat pedals but I also use clips and change every so often.

The only thing I can think of that I’m not convinced on is 15mm vs 20mm bolt through.

andytherocketeer

26inch
    (since when was finding an ancient, virtually obsolete format to push “advancement” ?)

cake

oh and conti tubes

Jamie
    Free Member

I find myself hanging on to HT2 for some reason.

rOcKeTdOg

HT2 is new tech to me!

Sundayjumper

Still using tubes in my 26″ tyres.

I’ve no plans to ditch my triple chainset. Not sure why 2x & 1x are such a big deal. The fact that people are removing one of the normal, useful sprockets from their cassette in order to fit a 40 or 42 bail out gear makes me think a granny ring is actually quite useful ??

I have a dropper seatpost but always forget it’s there and never use it !

bokonon
    Free Member

The act of letting go opens up endless possibilities. If you can’t let go. You can’t move forward.

Au contraire – if I let go of my bike, it will fall over, and I will end up on the floor, not going anywhere at all.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Sundayjumper – Member

I’ve no plans to ditch my triple chainset. Not sure why 2x & 1x are such a big deal.

it’s been done to death, but just to recap: if you’re not using ‘component x’, why carry it around? – undo the bolts and take it off.

(and shorten your chain, so it’s less noisy)

i have no need for a 42t chainring, as i never need to pedal to over 30mph

for me, it’s cup and cone hubs.

zippykona

Single pivot and I love my triple.
    Would possibly go double.

hora
    Free Member

I was sat in the Woodbine Cafe in Hope on Sat morning leafing through a mag (left there) from 2006. ALOT of the kit looks similar (the same) as now.

I never realised that the Cane Creek Double-barrel dates over 8yrs+

Alot of the kit (bar carbon and the look of the frames)- if you put a different date on the mag I’d have happily bought it off the shelf now. Infact- I read most of the mag in the cafe OVER the copies of recent Dirt mags also left there.

Advances? Apart from materials I can’t really see it being any different in 10yrs (apart from the look of the frames). Its a bicycle. Dress it up how you want but its a bicycle.

Selling pixie dust to middle management since 1998.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Thumbshifters
    Square taper BBs
    Decent grease in whatever bearing(*)
    Quick-link chains
    8-speed (if not single)
    Malt loaf or Sainsburys granola slices
    Cable-operated discs

(*)One of my biggest bugbears with ‘sealed’ (they aren’t – they’re ‘cartridge’ bearings in any other industry) bearings is the woeful amount of vaseline-type grease they tend to come with as standard. Pop the seals and get something decent in there, you’ll thank me in the long run.

HansRey

Inner tubes. Easy to fix and gunk free

andytherocketeer

and don’t need a compressor
    and 99.9% of the time, hold in all the air and seat the tyre bead first time

andytherocketeer

forgot before…
    my fixed seat post, with quick release lever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘What won't you let go of as MTB technology advances?’ is closed to new replies.