Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What winter socks y'all using??
  • DrP

Pretty pathetic request, I know, but it’s not the sort of thing a google search will come up with!

My current numerous on-one merino ones are holier than Compo’s pants..they were OK, but seemed to tear really easily.

The minus 5 temp conditions last night have prompted me to go shopping!

Whatcha got on your tootsies??

DrP

tall_martin

On one thick merino ones

They were cheap and have lasted well 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

On One Merino Thickies bought last year, both the Tour Of Flanders and Skull/crossbones variants, much feet happiness so far.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Tried numerous but settled with smartwool.

Ioneonic

I find my waterproof socks (Dexshell/Sealskinz) seem to keep my feet warmer than Woolie Boolies in very cold weather, but that is mainly road riding so I suspect it is the windproofing effect.

onandon
    Free Member

Woolie Boolies. I have about 8 pairs which I use every day at this time of year.

They last ages too so are great value for money.

lunge

PX Thicky merino here too, also have a pair of Decathlon merino that do the job.

weeksy

Normal sports direct Slazenger underneath, Sealskins on top of them.

Kahurangi

Woolie Boolie 2 6″ cuff. Mega warm, comfy and last forever. £12 a pair but worth it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Forgot about the Aldi merino ones bought in the Moon light knock-off sale late last year, they’re good too.

mikey74
    Free Member

Those Planet X thick ones should be done for false advertising: they are neither thick, nor warm.

I use Kirkland Signature Merino wool socks from Amazon.

ferrals
    Free Member

I’ve come to the conclusion if it’s that cold, overshoes are the only option. I also gaffa tape up my shoes for added wind and waterproofness.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Woolie boolies here but been getting cold feet this year for the first time ever, must be getting old. Going to give some of of these toe warmers a go.

whitestone
    Free Member

I use the thickest sock I can fit in the shoes/boots and still have room to wiggle my toes and not feel that my feet are constricted in any way.

Here’s some winter riding/clothing tips from Jay Petervary and some further tips. Obviously he’s a 45Nrth sponsored rider and he’s talking about -20C and below but the points are valid.

rocketman
    Free Member

Troy Lee Camber/Royal DH-AM depending how cold it is

reggiegasket
    Free Member

PX thicky merino here too. Day in day out.

jekkyl

standard work socks underneath and a pair of heat holders on top.
    https://heatholders.co.uk/products/socks
    you can get em from the range or ed woolen shop I think or TK max or home bargains, everywhere! they are pretty good though but not very STW!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Aldi merino with either Ulvang eBay merino socks or merino sealskins over the top depending how wet it is.

cp

On One Merino Thicky – appear to be bombproof, mine are lasting really well.

I use Shimano MW81 shoes in one-size-too-large and I have lovely toasty feet, even well below freezing.

martinhutch

Dexshell knee length waterproof with some thin Ulvang socks underneath. Better than Sealskinz for comfort.

iainc

Rapha Merino – usually pick up a pair or 2 in the sale when they are reasonably priced. Not too bulky, good under Defrosters to well below zero. Go in regular 40 wash and don’t lose shape or shrink.

DrP

I ordered a pair of the woolie boolies, ta.

I looked back at the PX ones, but opted not to as I was underwhelmed by them, TBH.
    If the woolies are decent, I’ll get a few more.

I’m already wearing shimano MW80 winter/waterproof boots.

I also just ordered some silk glove liners from this place as despite winter gloves, my fingers were frozen last night!
    Use code WINTER10 for 10% off too..

It was an interesting ride – went out on theCX bikes at ‘low level’ so riding fast through the thick fog was causing ice to build up on the front of the bikes/gloves/helmet!
    Chilly!

DrP

plus-one

2nd the Kirkland merino socks ..

Only £12 in Costco too 😀

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kirkland-Signature-Outdoor-Trail-Large/dp/B00B7BEU02

woodster

My On One thickies have all died. 6 pairs I think. Still they were cheap and lasted well enough.

edlong
    Free Member

Aldi merinos

nedrapier

Bridgedale merino hiking socks. Bought an armful from the bargain bin at cotswold a couple of years ago. Nice and thick, comfy, and they’re wearing very well. 5.10 flattie shoes, tightness isn’t as important as with spds, so you keep a bit of extra circulation.

Plus I don’t go as fast as you. I think this last bit is important.

ton

bridgedales. seal skins when wet. flat shoes.

IHN

On-One/PX Thickies (and I could do with some more, but not such a bargain anymore with the postage price change)
    Ulvang Spezials (brilliant, when you can find them on offer somewhere)

If it’s really cold, cheapy silk liner socks from ebay underneath.

If it’s reeeally cold, merino walking socks from Mountain Warehouse.

If it’s reeeeeeally cold, liner socks under the Mountain Warehouse jobs.

Northwind

Mountain Warehouse Extreme Merino- they’re really good! Warmer than my old defeets. Not the hardest wearing though and can lead to a mexican standoff in the shop as they try to figure out what happens if you buy 2 of a “50% off if bought with any other item” item, and nothing else.

And either sealskins or dexshell waterproofs. The new sealskinz seem pretty good so far

nedrapier

what happens if you buy 2 of a “50% off if bought with any other item” item, and nothing else.

😀

cubicboy
    Free Member

I commute every day throughout the year so when it gets really, really cold I put my Rapha Deep Winter long socks on. They are by far the thickest, warmest socks I’ve ever worn. As they re so thick they trap air and keep your feet warm.

pictonroad

Plus I don’t go as fast as you. I think this last bit is important.

Old speedy gonzalez was relegated somewhat last night, not his fault, the freezing fog / glasses interface left him needing a red light outrider up front.

It was cold, Didn’t know I had a thick build up of ice on my helmet until it melted and tippped a load of ice cold water onto my hands. That was lovely.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have some Madison Isoler Merino deep winter socks in camo somewhere. I put them down and now can’t find them.

DrP

At one point I was riding with my hand out in front to feel for gates/sheep/ne’re do wells…

DrP

komainu
    Free Member

Bought 3 pairs of the Troy Lee Camber merino socks on crc, down from £15 to £5 when in the sale. Best sock I’ve had. Incredibly plush sole and super warm. Have used Endura BaaBaas and PX thickys in the past – good for doubling up with on sub zero days, however no match against the Troy Lee Camber.

DezB
    Free Member

Bit late, but Northwave Extreme Winter High Road Socks are wonderful. I wear em round the shops as well as on the bike 🙂
    Nearest I’ve found to replace Assos Winter Plus socks.

noltae
    Free Member

Alpaca

chakaping
    Free Member

Good choice with the Woolie Boolies – only my thick hiking socks can compete when it’s sub-zero.

fifeandy
    Free Member

+1 for Woolie Boolies
    Endura Thermolites seem quite good down to single figures too.

rone

Woolies Boolies & The Wool-e-ater are the only pairs of socks I own. Just keep replacing them every now and again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What winter socks y'all using??’ is closed to new replies.